Alarion Naval Academy
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For August 2020
- MechWarrior 5 DLC, Heroes Of The Inner Sphere, Previewed In Podcasts And Streams
- MechCommander Returns As a MechWarrior 5 Mod
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For July, 2020
- The Evolution Of Long-Range Missiles In BattleTech, or Why You Should Shut Up And Love The LRM-5
- Read more →
|Alarion Naval Academy|
|Founding Year||3058 |
The Alarion Naval Academy was founded in 3060 by the Lyran Alliance following the reintroduction of WarShips to the Inner Sphere. Fearing that the current aerospace academies - the Pandora College of Military Sciences and the Flight Academy of Thorin - could not meet the demands to crew these new vessels, Archon Katherine Steiner-Davion ordered the creation of a new naval academy on Alarion, home also to the Port Sydney Naval Shipyards, the Alliance's only facility capable of producing WarShips.
Alarion was targeted by the Word of Blake's Jihad on 12 April 3069: orbital and nuclear bombardments were followed up with the deliberate spreading of a powerful bioweapon, destroying everything on the planet and rendering Alarion hostile to human life for centuries.
Construction began on the Academy in late 3058, transferring equipment and personnel from Pandora and Thorin in the process, with the first cadets beginning their studies in May 3060. Admission to the academy was tightly controlled by the Department of Military Education, particularly during the early years when loyalty to the new regime was paramount. Given the newest of the program, elements of the curriculum was as much of a learning experience for the teachers as for as the students, but early teething problems were overcome by the eagerness and excitement with which both groups poured into their work.
The standard three-year program for DropShip and JumpShip training consisted of a twelve-month basic training course, followed by two years of study with electives in command and technical specialties. A similar curriculum existed for Aerospace Fighter pilots and marines. WarShip training was a five-year program, which also included a two-month training cruise. A conversion program was started in the autumn of 3063 so that DropShip and JumpShip cadets could have the chance to expand their field of expertise in WarShips, though following the WarShip losses suffered during the FedCom Civil War these courses fell in popularity.
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance, pp. 37-38
- Classic BattleTech Companion, p. 70
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 108
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 73
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 46
- Field Report: LAAF, p. 5-6
- Classic BattleTech Companion, p. 68