|Manufacturer||Irian BattleMechs Unlimited|
|Mech type||Inner Sphere BattleMech|
|Engine||GM 380 XL|
|Communications System||Irian Technologies HMR-35s|
|Targeting Tracking System||Omicron TrackerKeeper|
|Heat Sinks||14 Double heat sinks|
The Albatross was designed by the Free Worlds League in 3053 with an eye toward a possible future conflict with the then advancing Clans. The 'Mech is built using a Hermes 380 XL Engine to minimize weight and maximize free tonnage for its weapon loadout. The Albatross also uses a variety of weapons in an attempt to make the 'Mech effective at any range. The 'Mech has average mobility with a maximum speed of 64.8 kph and also makes use of double heat sinks for their greater heat dissipation capability. The Albatross carries thirteen tons of Starslab/3 armor. Finally, the 'Mech is also equipped with CASE to protect against ammunition explosions. When it was first produced, the Albatross was deployed exclusively to the newly formed Knights of the Inner Sphere. Though it would soon be deployed throughout the top units of the Free Worlds League Military, it remained a signature 'Mech among the Knights. 
Weapons and Equipment
The Albatross does not specialize in one role and is more of a workhorse design than anything else. The 'Mech carries an Irian Weapons Works V7 LRM-15 launcher which gives it long range and indirect fire support capabilities. This is backed up by an Oriente Model O LB-X Autocannon/10 and a Diverse Optics Sunbeam ER Large Laser which give the 'Mech a powerful long-range punch. The 'Mech carries a Tronel PPL-20 Large Pulse Laser which allows the 'Mech to engage an enemy at the edge of the medium to long-range envelope. Finally, for close combat, the 'Mech has an Irian Weapons Works 60mm SRM-6 and two Irian Weapons Works Super 6 Medium Lasers.
- The 4U variant of the Albatross is a basic upgrade of the design. The 'Mech replaces the Medium Lasers with a pair of ER Medium Lasers. The 'Mech also replaces the LB-X Autocannon/10 with a Light Gauss Rifle. The SRM-6 launcher has also been replaced with a Streak SRM-6 launcher. BV (1.0) = 1,572, BV (2.0) = 1,907
- ALB-5W Albatross Dantalion
- Precentor Dantalion of the 49th Shadow Division equipped his personal 'Mech with some experimental equipment. A Small Cockpit allows a Laser AMS to be mounted in the head, while a Heavy-Duty Gyro and Light Engine make the 'Mech harder to kill. Protection was upgraded as well, using Heavy Ferro-Fibrous armor. Finally, a Guardian ECM Suite protects against enemy electronics. Offensively, Dantalion's custom Albatross uses an ER PPC with PPC Capacitor in the left arm, balanced by a Large VSP Laser in the right. For close combat, the left and right torso each get an ER Medium Laser and Medium Pulse Laser, and the right torso mounts a single ER Small Laser. In addition, the 'Mech is equipped with Triple Strength Myomer, making it a deadly foe in melee combat. BV (2.0) = 2,134
- INI-02 Initiate - Though not directly related, the Initiate medium BattleMech, which was designed and deployed by the Word of Blake, was designed around some of the same weapons systems, and wields an eclectic mix similar to its inspiration.
In German products the unit's proper name was perfectly translated to Albatros. The model code was left unchanged.
Original ALB-3U Albatross from TRO:3055
Albatross from TRO:3055 Upgrade
An Albatross in combat from Luthien
ALB- 3U Albatross in combat from CCG
- Technical Readout: 3055 Upgrade, p. 74-75
- Technical Readout: 3055, p. 82-83
- MUL online date for Albatross
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 114
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 190
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New, p. 118
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 115
- Jihad Turning Points: Atreus, p. 15
- Technical Readout: 3060, p. 84
- BattleMech Manual, p. 90 Battlemech Quirk Table - Albatross Entry.