- June News Roundup 2020 - Supplemental
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For June 2020
- Did You Know? Other Games Come And Go, But MechWarrior: Living Legends Is Here To Stay
- Community Outreach - Michael At Metal Core Collectibles Talks About 3D Printing And Making Fan Designs
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For May 2020
- Read more →
|Unit Profile (as of [])|
|Nickname||For the Oath|
Known originally by the simple name of the Capitol Guards, the Arcturan Guards were the first federal troops of the newly-formed Lyran Commonwealth when originally founded in 2341 as an infantry and armour force. Initially nine regiments strong when founded, each regiment was named for a muse from ancient mythology; this naming convention continued when the first expansion regiments were subsequently founded.
Star League Era
The Arcturan Guards brigade increased in size after its founding, and like other brigades in the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces the Guards expanded again after the repeal of the Star League Council Edict of 2650, although the convention of naming new regiments after muses didn't continue. The Guards were well-supported during the Star League era, in part because of how closely tied the brigade was to the economic might of the Tamar Pact. The main problems the Guards had to deal with as the Amaris Civil War approached were boredom and ennui; the Guards still had political intrigues and the occasional raid to deal with, but the Star League Defense Force acted as enough of a deterrent that there were few large-scale military deployments or operations for the Guard to engage in, limiting much of the brigade's activities to training or garrison duty.
By 2786 the Arcturan Guards had increased in strength to twenty-five regiments, in part due to having received three former SLDF regiments that had been recruited by the LCAF and redesignated as the Sixth, Seventh and Seventeenth Arcturan Guards. In addition to founding the Twenty-third, Twenty-fourth and Twenty-fifth Arcturan Guards during the twenty years of the Amaris Civil War the Arcturan Guards also reactivated the Twelfth and Fifteenth Arcturan Guards.
For centuries an agreement was in place that ensured that the Guards recruited at least a quarter of its personnel from Arcturus, even as it became a ghost world. An order issued by Archon Katherine Steiner attempted to strip away this provision from the Guards prior to the FedCom Civil War, but was met with entrenched opposition from the soldiers and officers of the Guards - including those not born on Arcturus - and although the Archon was eventually forced to acquiesce it cost the Guards their commanding officer, who was promoted out of the brigade into a general staff post and replaced with one of the Archon's supporters.
The Lyran Commonwealth launched a notable attempt to capture Dieudonne in 3011, dispatching a force from the Arcturan Guards along with the mercenary unit Snord's Irregulars, under the overall command of Colonel Arthur Flade. Cranston Snord had volunteered the Irregulars for the mission in hopes of recovering the sacred Tome of Rigo, which he believed to be hidden on Dieudonne. Flade was openly disdainful of the Irregulars and went out of his way to make sure they drew the most dangerous assignments while under his command. During the attack they were dropped off-target, landing in the middle of the Jarvis Military Proving and Training Grounds, an area surrounded by a heavy minefield. Present at the Proving Grounds at the time were a veteran infantry regiment, the Jarvis Flight Militia, accompanied by a number of supporting 'Mechs. The Irregulars had to fight their way past several veteran units to link up with the Arcturan Guards in the legitimate dropzone several kilometers away. Colonel Flade had proclaimed Snord's Irregulars lost immediately after the drop and later accused them of having gone astray to go looting. This led to a falling-out between Flade and Cranston Snord who believed, but could not prove, that Flade had deliberately ordered the Irregulars be dropped off-target, and Snord refused to work with Flade in any future operations.
|Commanding Officers of the Arcturan Guards|
Different per Unit.
Units of the Arcturan Guards
- First Arcturan Guards
- Second Arcturan Guards
- Third Arcturan Guards
- Fourth Arcturan Guards
- Fifth Arcturan Guards
- Sixth Arcturan Guards
- Seventh Arcturan Guards
- Eighth Arcturan Guards
- Ninth Arcturan Guards
- Tenth Arcturan Guards
- Eleventh Arcturan Guards
- Twelfth Arcturan Guards
- Thirteenth Arcturan Guards
- Fourteenth Arcturan Guards
- Fifteenth Arcturan Guards
- Sixteenth Arcturan Guards
- Seventeenth Arcturan Guards
- Eighteenth Arcturan Guards
- Nineteenth Arcturan Guards
- Twentieth Arcturan Guards
- Twenty-first Arcturan Guards
- Twenty-second Arcturan Guards
- Twenty-third Arcturan Guards
- Twenty-fourth Arcturan Guards
- Twenty-fifth Arcturan Guards
- Twenty-sixth Arcturan Guards
- The Eighth Arcturan Guards was destroyed during Operation Revival.
- The Ninth Arcturan Guards was destroyed on Hesperus II between the 6th, 7th and 8th battles.
- The Eleventh Arcturan Guards] was destroyed during the Blakist attack on Tharkad).
- The Nineteenth Arcturan Guards regimental command staff was killed in Jihad; survivors folded into Stone's Revenants).
- The Twentieth Arcturan Guards was destroyed by Blakist forces on Gabriel; survivors rolled into 23rd Arcturan.
- The Twenty-fourth Arcturan Guards was destroyed during Operation Revival.
- The Twenty-fifth Arcturan Guards was destroyed by Clan Jade Falcon in 3069; Rebuilt and stopped Falcon's Delta Galaxy in 3071.
Color Scheme and Unit Insignia
The parade color for the unit is flat white.
Thunder Hawk in Arcturan Guards colors
Griffin in Arcturan Guards colors
Zeus in Arcturan Guards colors
- Based upon the detail available on the first nine regiments of the Arcturan Guards in Field Report: Lyran Commonwealth 2765 the two regiments from the first founding of the Guards that had been destroyed or disbanded by 2765, the Sixth and Seventh Arcturan Guards, would most likely have been named for the Greek Muses Polyhymnia and Urania, although it is uncertain which regiment was named for which muse. Polyhymnia was the Muse associatd with sacred poetry, sacred hymn, dance, and eloquence as well as agriculture and pantomime while Urania was the Muse associated with astronomy.
- Based upon the detail available on the "second wave" of Arcturan Guards units being named for the Muses of Plutarch, the destroyed or disbanded Twelfth Arcturan Guard would have been named for the Muse Aoide, the Muse of song.
- Field Report: Lyran Commonwealth 2765, p. 8, "Arcturan Guards"
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance, p. 54, "Arcturan Guards: For The Oath
- First Succession War, p. 139, "Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces (LCAF)"
- First Succession War, p. 33, "Those Left Behind (Continued)"
- Cranston Snord's Irregulars, pp. 30-31 (Scenario "Snord and the Swarm")
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 125, "Arcutran Guards"
- Jihad Turning Points: Tharkad, p. 8, "Sifting Though the Rubble" - Scenario note the destruction of the 11th Arcturan Guards.
- Field Report: LAAF, p. 10, "Arcturan Guards"