Ares Mark IX Attack Craft
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For August, 2021
- Sarna Interviews Ray Arrastia, BattleTech Line Developer At Catalyst Games
- Community Outreach - Converting HBS’s BATTLETECH Campaign To Tabletop With Riley Centrella
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For July, 2021
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For June, 2021
- Read more →
|Ares Mark IX (Attack Craft)|
|Use||Deep Space Escort|
|Type (Shape)||Small Craft (Military Aerodyne)|
|Tech Base||Inner Sphere|
|Engine (Type)||Fusion Engine|
|Armament||1x ER Large Laser|
|Heat Sinks||15 Double Heat Sinks|
|Crew||4 (3 Enlisted, 1 Gunner)|
The Ares Mark IX Attack Craft (also known as the AAC), is a deep space escort vessel that is related to the Mark VII Landing Craft. The ship is based on the ancient Ares Mark I small craft, produced in the twenty-fifth century, and this modern version started production in the middle of the Jihad. Like its ancient predecessor, the ship is used to escort military DropShips through hostile space using its ECM capabilities and firepower.
The first notable use of the ship was during the Allied Coalition's Invasion of Terra in 3079, where the design was used to scout ahead of the task force assigned to wipe out the Word of Blake's aerospace defenses.
Weapons and Equipment
The ship's arsenal includes an Extended Range Large Laser for long range strikes while approaching its target. Once it has closed into optimal range, the ship's twin Large Pulse Lasers and four Medium Pulse Lasers can be brought to bear on the target to devastating effect.
As part of the equipment needed to carry out its duties as an escort vessel, the ship has been fitted with a Beagle Active Probe and an ECM suite. The ship is protected by 27 tons of Standard armor, with most of the protection focused on the nose of the craft. The ship has a small 3 ton Cargo Bay for the crew's needs.
- Ares Attack Craft Mark I
- Based on the Mark I Landing Craft, the ACC Mark I was slower than current Mark IX. The craft was armed with 3 Large Lasers and 4 Medium Lasers with 15 single Heat Sinks to handle its heat. Like all military small craft, it has its standard build-in ECM.
Though listed on the table of contents for Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge, the Ares is not actually included.