- Your BattleTech News Roundup For August, 2021
- Sarna Interviews Ray Arrastia, BattleTech Line Developer At Catalyst Games
- Community Outreach - Converting HBS’s BATTLETECH Campaign To Tabletop With Riley Centrella
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For July, 2021
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For June, 2021
- Read more →
Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
Asgard nearby systems
|X:Y Coordinates||126.654 : 266.198[e]|
|Recharge time||200 hours|
- 1 Asgard
- 2 Asgard IV
- 2.1 Planetary History
- 2.2 Political Affiliation
- 2.3 Military Deployment
- 2.4 Geography
- 2.5 Planetary Locations
- 2.6 Map Gallery
- 2.7 Nearby Systems
- 2.8 References
- 2.9 Bibliography
| Jump point
|Moons||3 (Altheim, Midgard, Hel)|
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Equatorial temperature||35°C (Mild-Temperate)|
|Highest native life||Amphibians|
Asgard IV - more commonly known simply as Asgard - is the fourth planet in the Asgard system and has three moons named Altheim, Midgard and Hel.
Originally, Asgard was a Terran Alliance colony and was one of the colonies abandoned as a result of the Demarcation Declaration of 2240. When Director Shiro Kurita of the Alliance of Galedon conducted a year-long tour of worlds near the Alliance in 2309-2310, he included both independent worlds such as Asgard and worlds controlling small states. Director Kurita brought with him evidence purporting to show that one or more of the small states nearby had designs on conquering Asgard, and offered to mediate between Asgard and its opponents. He also offered to protect Asgard by allowing Asgard to join the Alliance, thereby allying itself with a stronger power.
Asgard accepted this proposal in 2309, not realizing that Director Kurita had invented the evidence and deliberately played a number of small states and worlds off against each other to dramatically expand the size of the Alliance. The worlds of Dieron and Altair were responsible for Director Kurita's subterfuge coming to light, when in June 2311 a dispute broke out between the two; each called on its great ally only to discover that they were both allied with Director Shiro Kurita. Each planetary ruler discovered that they had been promised the same things, and word soon spread to the other planets seduced by Director Kurita's diplomatic campaign.
Of all the worlds that had been tricked, those that took the greatest offense were the rulers of Asgard, Benjamin and Telos IV. Furious at having been manipulated and feeling betrayed, the three became increasingly hostile; Director Kurita responded by gathering together a thousand or more dignitaries and ruling lords from the northeast quadrant of the Inner Sphere to the Council of One summit in September 2311. He spoke passionately to those present of the need for cooperation between the worlds of the region for the betterment of all, and then called for a vote on his proposal of alliance. Those dignitaries who voted in favor departed safely; those who didn't were executed by the two companies of crack troops assembled around the summit by Shiro's brother Urizen Kurita before being shipped back to their next of kin.
With the Council of One dispensed with, Director Kurita deployed both the Alliance of Galedon fleet and his land forces to the conquest of Asgard, Benjamin and Telos IV. The troops landed that same September and began attempts to subdue the population. The inhabitants of Asgard were determined to retain their freedom and resisted bitterly, adopting the same guerrilla tactics used effectively by various worlds during the Outer Reaches Rebellion a century before. Director Kurita used every method at his disposal short of weapons of mass destruction, and the casualties on both sides were enormous, but eventually the three worlds were forced to capitulate, with Asgard surrendering in August 2312.
In February of 3052, Clan Smoke Jaguar attacked Asgard during the Fifth Wave of Operation REVIVAL. The attack, led by the Nineteenth Striker Cluster and Fourth Jaguar Dragoons, met strong resistance from the Third Benjamin Regulars as soon as they made planetfall with the opening of a continuous artillery bombardment. This forced the invaders to conduct a night march to escape the bombardment, arriving at the city of Vernan a full day before the defenders had expected them. In the fierce battle which followed the Third's heavy and assault 'Mechs tied up the Jaguars, allowing the rest of the regiment to withdraw to secondary defensive lines near the rock formation Odin's Retreat. There they dug in and held the line over the course of an entire month of combat. In the end, assault elements of the Fourth Jaguar broke through and rolled up the Third Regulars' western flank, forcing them to pull back across the Ragnarok Plains in a fighting retreat all the way to their DropShips. Little more than a battalion's worth of the Third Regulars managed to escape off-world. After they were conquered, the citizens of Asgard remained willing to fight for their freedom, despite generations of brain-washing under Kuritan leadership.
Asgard was invaded in the first wave of Operation BULLDOG by the Third Benjamin Regulars, the Davion Assault Guards, the 278th ComGuard Division, and the Third Proserpina Hussars. The defending Fourth Jaguar Dragoons were outnumbered four to one and inevitably lost the planet.
- 2239 - Terran Alliance 
- 2240 - Independent world 
- 2309 - Independent World 
- 2311 - Independent World 
- 2312 - Alliance of Galedon (From August) 
- 2319 - Draconis Combine 
- 2571 - Draconis Combine 
- 2596 - Draconis Combine 
- 2750 - Draconis Combine 
- 2764 - Draconis Combine 
- 2765 - Draconis Combine 
- 2821 - Draconis Combine 
- 2864 - Draconis Combine 
- 3025 - Draconis Combine 
- 3030 - Draconis Combine 
- 3040 - Draconis Combine 
- 3050 - Draconis Combine 
- 3052 - Clan Smoke Jaguar
- 3057 - Clan Smoke Jaguar
- 3063 - Draconis Combine 
- 3067 - Draconis Combine 
- 3075 - Draconis Combine 
- 3079 - Draconis Combine 
- 3081 - Draconis Combine 
- 3085 - Draconis Combine 
- 3135 - Draconis Combine 
- 3145 - Draconis Combine 
Asgard has five continents, the most notable of which is Muspell, as well as a number of island chains. Among the significant geological regions on Muspell are the Odin's Retreat mountains, a chain described as "formidable"; the Ragnarok Plains begin in the foothills of Odin's Retreat.
- Odin's Retreat: Mountain range
- Ragnarok Plains:
- Vernan: planetary capital city, located on the Ragnarok Plains in the foothills of Odin's Retreat.
| Closest 28 systems (28 within 60 light-years)|
Distance in light years, closest systems first:
- BattleTech: 25 Years of Art & Fiction, p. 177, "Asgard"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 23, "Political Maneuvers"
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 24, "Conquest of resistance"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 17, "Macedonian Politics"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. 256, "SLDF - Draconis Combine Military Command Map"
- Invading Clans (sourcebook), p.69
- The Dragon Roars, p.16
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 18, "Draconis Combine Map Founding "
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 31, "Draconis Combine after Age of War -  Map"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: SLDF, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 43, "Draconis Combine after First Succession War "
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 53, "Draconis Combine after Second Succession War "
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), "Draconis Combine Map - "
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 64, "Draconis Combine after Third Succession War "
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 66, "Draconis Combine after Fourth Succession War "
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 68, "Draconis Combine after War of 3039 "
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 23, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 71, "Draconis Combine after Operation REVIVAL - "
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 74, "Draconis Combine after FedCom Civil War "
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 42, "Inner Sphere - [October 3067] Map"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 65, Inner Sphere -  Map
- Field Report: DCMS, p. 21, "Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery Deployment Map - [August 3079]"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63, "Inner Sphere Map - [March 3081]"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 127, "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3085]"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. 256, "SLDF - Draconis Combine Military Command Map"
- Objective Raids, p. 62 - "Unit Note"
- Field Manual: ComStar, p. 128 - "Nova Cats Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 101 - "Clan Nova Cat Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 130, "Deployment Table - 3085"
- On Solid Ground
- BattleTech: 25 Years of Art & Fiction
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: ComStar
- Field Manual: Update
- Field Report: DCMS
- Handbook: House Kurita
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Objective Raids
- On Solid Ground (short story)
- The Dragon Roars