Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
Atreus nearby systems
|X:Y Coordinates||-191.068 : -163.776[e]|
|Recharge time||175 hours|
|Recharge station(s)||Nadir, Zenith|
- 1 System Description
- 2 System History
- 3 Political Affiliation
- 4 Atreus III
- 4.1 Planetary History
- 4.1.1 Early Years
- 4.1.2 Reunification War
- 4.1.3 Jihad
- 4.1.4 Dark Age Era
- 4.2 Military Deployment
- 4.3 Geography
- 4.4 Planetary Locations
- 4.5 Industrial Centers
- 4.6 Atreus IIIa (Wendigo)
- 4.7 Gallery
- 4.1 Planetary History
- 5 Map Gallery
- 6 Nearby Systems
- 7 References
- 8 Bibliography
- 2246 - Republic of Marik
- 2246 - Marik Commonwealth
- 2270 - Marik Commonwealth
- 2271 - Free Worlds League
- 2571 - Free Worlds League
- 2596 - Free Worlds League
- 2570 - Free Worlds League
- 2750 - Free Worlds League
- 2765 - Free Worlds League
- 2786 - Free Worlds League
- 2822 - Free Worlds League
- 2864 - Free Worlds League
- 3025 - Free Worlds League
- 3030 - Free Worlds League
- 3040 - Free Worlds League
- 3050 - Free Worlds League
- 3052 - Free Worlds League
- 3057 - Free Worlds League
- 3058 - Free Worlds League
- 3063 - Free Worlds League
- 3067 - Free Worlds League
- 3075 - Free Worlds League
- 3079 - Marik Commonwealth
- 3081 - Marik Commonwealth
- 3085 - Marik-Stewart Commonwealth
- 3135 - Marik-Stewart Commonwealth
- 3138 - Regulan Fiefs (from July)
- 3139 - Free Worlds League (from April)
- 3145 - Free Worlds League
- 3151 - Free Worlds League
- 3152 - Free Worlds League 
Planetary Flag of Atreus
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Equatorial temperature||45°C (Jungle)|
|Highest native life||Mammal|
|Ruler||Duke of Atreus|
|Socio-Industrial Levels||A-A-B-A-D (3067)|
Precentor Pedrigor Aliz (3025)
Atreus III - more commonly referred to simply as Atreus - is the third planet in the Atreus system and for centuries served as the capital of the Free Worlds League. Atreus is home to a number of important defense industry facilities and is orbited by a moon named Wendigo, notable for being the location of the headquarters of SAFE, the League intelligence agency.
Atreus was conquered in 2246 by forces from the Republic of Marik; the forcible induction of Atreus into the Republic resulted in the Republic reinventing itself as the Marik Commonwealth, with Charles Marik as leader.
During the Reunification War, Atreus was one of several worlds within the Free Worlds League that prisoners captured during the war between the Star League and the Magistracy of Canopus where prisoners were interned. While troublesome prisoners were interned in prisons, the majority of the internment facilities resembled military barracks, and with the Canopians lacking any of the paperwork or identification required for interstellar travel conditions were rather relaxed. While prisoner rosters were taken and checked, the Canopians were given access to sports, leisure and education facilities, as well as a small stipend. Many of the MAF officers actually found themselves being invited by the local military and nobility to soirées and events where the Canopians were the guest of honor. This was tacitly - or possibly actively - encouraged by Captain-General Marion Marik as both a demonstration to the Canopians of the benefits of life available under the Star League and as a reminder to First Lord Ian Cameron of the benefits of applying a carrot to the Periphery nations, rather than a stick. Many of the Canopian prisoners who returned to the Magistracy after the war became active and vocal supporters of integration with the Star League as a result of their humane treatment during the war.
BioChemical Raid of Atreus City
On the 3rd of October 3068 the Knights of the Inner Sphere were the subject of a surprise recall order, bringing them back to Atreus from their assignment as a part of Marshall Jeremy Brett's Operation BROKEN FIST counteroffensive against the Skye and Bolan Provinces of the Lyran Alliance. The Knights arrived on Atreus on the 24th of October, and were the recipients of a hastily-arranged honor parade on the 25th when a Word of Blake Overlord-class DropShip and other aerospace elements attacked Atreus City during parade honoring the Knights of the Inner Sphere, using chemical weapons to killing the bulk of Parliament and the Knights. The escaping DropShip was destroyed by pro-League forces. The Word of Blake forces' biochemical agents killed many of the Knights in the streets of Atreus City along with the bulk of the League parliament as well as a damaging the Parliament building of the League. As the attack commenced a Blakist propaganda stream was broadcast declaring that Captain-General Thomas Marik was a fraud; shortly after the attack, the local communications network was disrupted across a wide area, and a massive naval engagement erupted in the Atreus system as the pro-Word and pro-League elements of the Free Worlds League Navy began attacking each other.
Around the same time, a major fleet action was fought over the skies of Atreus, involving WarShips of the Free Worlds Navy and possibly the Word of Blake. Rumors said that several Free Worlds Navy vessels fired upon each other.
Coup of 3069
Fighting on Atreus by pro-Blakist troops attempt to oust both the false Thomas Marik through, even after false Thomas Marik is removed in July 3069. Paul Marik, real-Thomas Marik's brother installed his daughter, Corinne Marik, as Captain-General of the League. During this period Word of Blake forces begun using Atreus as training base, with the 15th Division taking up garrisoning the planet in Paltos region.
Though the transfer of powers was said to be a peaceful one, the deaths of both Minister of Defense Heather Alexander and General Cassandra Blake (the noted aerospace pilot) in the last few days from "accidents" might give another light to it. Several other accidents claimed the lives of quite a few of the Dormuth Household Guards, and members of the Captain-General's personal staff have also had unfortunate mishaps.
The middle years of the Jihad
The First Knights of the Inner Sphere kept fighting even though their desperate situation. They carried out a guerrilla war on the island continent of Ionia, breaking down into lances and harassing the Blakists and their collaborators. This valiant stand mobilized loyalists of the false Marik and inspired civilians to support them with desperately needed food, ammunition, and even replacement parts. The arrival of Corrine Marik alongside her Second Legionnaires in January 3072 finally forced the Knights to ground.
Paul Marik next step was to root out other elements of resistance. SAFE investigated the Eagle Corps and found then to have harbored subversive elements. The unit was disbanded, and SAFE's own paramilitary force, the Dark Shadows, was posted to their Eyrie fortress on Wendigo.
The Knights and the missing Eagle Corps operatives organized dissidents into a potent resistance network. Sorties by the Knights to support their allies were few but carefully planned for the highest impact, as with the July 3074 liberation of SAFE's main detention facility in the Mycale Mountains. Lead by Precentor Evelyn Jennings, the Fifteenth Division responded with savage reprisals, sparking criticism from her Marik Commonwealth allies.
Following the disbanding of SAFE's elite Eagle Corps special forces, the Dark Shadows staffed the defenses of the "The Eyrie" facility on Wendigo, the moon of the Free Worlds League capital world of Atreus. A scathing online tirade under a flimsy cover identity by Anne-Marie McCormack, the unit's commander at the time, provoked Paul Marik into having the unit destroyed. On 23 April 3075 they were lured away from their base by a mock attack by the mercenary unit Grandin's Crusaders and then ambushed by the 49th Shadow Division. The Eyre was subsequently captured. The battle on the airless moon left no survivors of the Dark Shadows, the Forty-ninth took no prisoners and left the remains of the fallen Dark Shadows pilots to rest inside their broken 'Mechs. The entire incident was classified though and only came to light after the Word of Blake was ejected from Atreus.
The Fifteenth Division located a resistance encampment on Mount Pinatubo, and a detachment of the Second Knights fell trying to hold them off. After that battle, several prisoners were summarily executed before the Eighth Legionnaires intervened. In response to the atrocities, the Captain-General ordered the Forty-ninth Shadow Division to leave Atrean space and took the remaining prisoners into FWLM custody.
Battle of Atreus City of 3076
In 3076, Thomas Halas (formerly the false Thomas Marik), launched a raid, attempting to rescue survivors of the 1st Knights of the Inner Sphere and her wife Sherryl Halas. His forces included the 2nd Knights of the Inner Sphere and Romanov's Crusaders, and they saw action against the 15th Division and supported by Marik-Commonwealth forces of the 2nd Free Worlds Legionnaires and the 8th Free Worlds Legionnaires and mercenary support from Grandin's Crusaders in a campaign that ran through Atreus City and into its southern suburbs. The battle ultimately left several million homeless and thousand dead. It left the city storied Interstellar Botanic Gardens and Technology Museum in aftermath of the conflict.
Blakist Final Stand on Atreus
Marik Commonwealth forces consisting of the Second and Eighth Free Worlds Legionnaires turned on their Blakist "allies" in the wake of Alys Rousset-Marik and her Resistance forces arriving in orbit. The Legionnaires stormed the Blakist's Karpov Training Range in the Paltos Mountains where they clashed with the Fifteenth and Thirtieth Divisions in a battle of survival. Alys' forces in orbit clashed with the Division's Pocket WarShip forces. However, League forces storming the control failed to stop the Blakist from sending distress call from its HPG. This led to the orbiting Blakist forces using nuclear weaponry on land and orbital targets provide cover for its retreating allied units. Few Blakists escaped and the Resistance set up a detention facility at the Karpov training range.
Atreus was originally considered to be safe from the turmoil of the Jihad, but the various battles on the planet and the use of chemical weapons and the dispersal of the Free Worlds League Navy shocked the population, and the guerrilla campaign waged by the Knights of the Inner Sphere inflicted further damage on the world. By 3079 reconstruction efforts were well underway. The various military and defense industry facilities on Atreus weathered the Jihad to varying degrees; of the aerospace industries, the DropShip manufacturer Deller, Bingham and Fouts had lost almost half their industrial production capacity to damage during the Jihad, but had restored output to three-quarters of pre-Jihad production by 3079. Conversely, the ImStar Aerospace ground facilities took damage during the Jihad, the orbital facilities were largely untouched; despite approximately a third of the lines being damaged, production was barely above half of pre-Jihad levels in 3079 due to ImStar closing down the production lines for the Agamemnon-class heavy cruiser as parts to complete the WarShips were no longer arriving. The Imperator Automatic Weaponry plant sustained more damage than the ImStar facilities - although less than the Deller, Bingham and Fouts factories - and production had been reached two-thirds of prewar production by 3079. Enrollment at the Atreus Officer Training College was also down sharply as recruits from other provinces were no longer enrolling.
Dissolution of the Free Worlds League
The last assembly of the Free Worlds League parliament was held on Atreus on the 28th of January 3079. The final vote of the parliament was on the subject of the dissolution of the League; of the 83 votes polled, 75 were in favor of disbanding the League. As a result, the confederation of member states was dissolved, and the Free Worlds League disbanded as a nation.
Dark Age Era
Atreus city was in ruins by 3138, the majority world population suffers from malnutrition. The city itself had fallen into ruins through neglect. The Marik-Stewart Commonwealth claimed the world after the Jihad, however no move was made to restore the capital city. However its manufacturing facilities (Imstar Aerospace) were restored. The world was used briefly as the temporary capital of the Commonwealth at beginning of the Steiner Invasion of 3137, but it was moved yet again to Stewart.
After the fall of Marik-Stewart Commonwealth, Regulan Fiefs' forces invaded the world in 22 July, 3138. They easily took control the world, which offered resistance. Captain-General Cameron-Jones order the restoration of the old FWL's House of Parliament and the bringing of food to the people whose state of starvation he witnessed.
In April, 3139, the Regulans lost control of the planet to a coalition force of the new Free World League, lead by Warden Thaddeus Marik in Operation Homecoming. Coalition leaders, began restoring the capital, including helping restore health of the residents of planet. By July 3rd, the world became the capital of the new Free World League.
- First Atrean Dragoons
- Eighth Free Worlds Legionnaires
- Twelfth Atrean Dragoons
- First Knights of the Inner Sphere
- Second Knights of the Inner Sphere
- Eleventh Atrean Dragoons
Atreus has a single moon, Wendigo, and four continents: Corin, Ionia, Lanan and Paltos. The planet has five named bodies of water: Atreide Ocean, Soyuz Ocean, Northern Sea, Parthenon Sea, and Ewen Sea. Notable regions on the various continents included The Moors and Rhodes Plateau on Platos and the Firth of Clyde on Lanan.
- Arcadia: A city located on Ionis.
- Athene Combat School
- Atreus City - The capital of the Free Worlds League. The city suffered under a biological attack inflicted in 3068.
- Atreus Officer Training College: A premier military academy, located on Paltos.
- Attarsiya: A city located on Corin.
- Chrysippus: A city located on Lanan.
- Cleveland: A city located on Corin.
- Hippodamia: A city located on Paltos.
- Pelops: A city located on Paltos.
- Ryal City: A city located on Corin.
- Semidam: A city located on Corin.
- Tantalus: A city located on Corin.
- Thermopolae: A city located on Ionis.
- Thyestes: A city located on Lanan.
- Tierra Del Fuego: A city located on Paltos.
- Saint Catherine's University Hospital: A noted medical school.
- Urquhart Forest: A large forest roughly 250 km north of Atreus City.
- Atrean Robotics
- Imstar Aerospace
- Dellar, Bingham and Fouts
- Illium Shipyards
- Imperator Automatic Weaponry
Atreus IIIa (Wendigo)
Atreus' sole moon is an airless rock similar to the Terran moon and holds the headquarters of SAFE's special forces unit, the Eagle Corps. Known as "The Eyrie" it is located beneath the peak of a long-dead volcano. The volcano's ridge house several defensive-weapons structures and a spaceport rests at the bottom of the volcano's crater.
|Closest 36 systems (35 within 60 light-years)|
Distance in light years, closest systems first:
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 59: "Atreus"
- Shattered Fortress, p. 102: "Inner Sphere - 3151" (Map)
- Era Report: 3145, p. 38: "Inner Sphere - 3145"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI: "Inner Sphere - 3145"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 12: "To The Stars"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 13: "Marik Commonwealth world within the Free Worlds League before  and after at their founding in "
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 24: "Free Worlds League after Age of War "
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 158: "Inner Sphere - 2596"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 36: "Inner Sphere - 2750"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 10: "Inner Sphere - 2765"
- First Succession War, pp. 24–25: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 34: "Free Worlds League after First Succession War "
- First Succession War, pp. 112–113: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 38: "Free Worlds League after Second Succession War "
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 169: "Free Worlds League - Map"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 51: "Free Worlds League after Fourth Succession War "
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 132: "Inner Sphere - 3040"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 10: "Inner Sphere - 3050"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 22: "Inner Sphere - 3052"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 10: "Inner Sphere - 3057"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 54: "Free Worlds League after Operation Guerrero "
- Era Report: 3062, p. 28: "Inner Sphere - 3063"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 56: "Free Worlds League after FedCom Civil War "
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 41: "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3067]
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 64: Inner Sphere  Map
- Field Report: FWLM, p. 29: "FWLM Deployment Map"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 62: "Inner Sphere - March 3081"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. vii: "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3085]"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 10: "Inner Sphere - 3135"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 21: "Timeline of Events (cont.)"
- Redemption Rites, ch. 26
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 153: "Atreus"
- Jihad Turning Points: Atreus, p. 3: "Atreus Planet Info"
- Objectives: Free Worlds League, pp. 6–7: "Atreus"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 99: "Honors of War"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 46: "The Jihad In Review"
- AeroTech 2 Revised Edition, p. ?: "Homecoming" naval forces pro-League & pro-Blakist forces clashing over Atreus
- Total Chaos, pp. 61–64: "Atreus"
- BattleCorps: INN Newscast (General INN articles), news item published [31/10/3068]: "Massive Fleet Battle Over Atreus"
- Jihad Turning Points: Atreus, p. 5: Atreus - World history during the Jihad Coup on Atreus.
- BattleCorps: INN Newscast (Solaris Broadcasting Co. section), news item published [13/08/3069]: "Coup on Atreus?"
- Total Chaos, pp. 139–141: Track "Silencing the Shadows"
- Jihad Turning Points: Atreus, p. 5: Atreus - Thomas Halas (Marik)'s failed Rescue attempt wrecks Atreus City.
- Total Chaos, pp. 151 "Rescue Gone Wrong"
- Jihad Turning Points: Atreus, p. 14: Allies of convenience Only - Marik Commonwealth & Alys Rousset-Marik forces unit to destroy WoB forces on Atreus.
- Objectives: Free Worlds League, p. 4: "State of the Industry at a Glance (3079)"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 69: "The Jihad In Review"
- Field Report 2765: FWLM, p. 9: "Atrean Dragoons"
- Field Report 2765: FWLM, p. 10: "Regimental Status"
- First Succession War, p. 138: "First Succession War Deployment Table - FWLM"
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 108
- 20 Year Update, p. 57
- Objective Raids, p. 119: "Unit Note"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 159: "Free Worlds League Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 160: "Free Worlds League Deployment Table"
- Field Report: FWLM, p. 8: "Marik Commonwealth"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 91: "Deployment Table - 3085"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 115: "Free Worlds League Military"
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 153: "Atreus" - Brief info Atreus City and league choosing to make it the capital city of the League.
- Hunting Season, ch. 35
- Hunting Season, ch. 28
- Hunting Season, ch. 39
- Technical Readout: 3075, p. 262: "Patron LoaderMech"
- Heart of Chaos, ch. 7
- Intelligence Operations Handbook, p. 94: "Covert Operations"
- Intelligence Operations Handbook, p. 96: "Headquarters and Training"
- AeroTech 2 Revised Edition
- BattleCorps INN Newscast, 31/10/3068: "Massive Fleet Battle Over Atreus"
- BattleCorps Solaris Broadcasting Co., 13/08/3069: "Coup on Atreus?"
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report: FWLM
- Field Report 2765: FWLM
- First Succession War (sourcebook)
- Handbook: House Marik
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Jihad Turning Points: Atreus
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers
- Objective Raids
- Objectives: Free Worlds League
- Shattered Fortress
- To Ride the Chimera (novel)