- Your BattleTech News Roundup For March, 2021
- MechWarrior 5 Is On Steam & Catalyst Is Having A Sourcebook Sale
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For February, 2021
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For January, 2021
- Community Outreach - The Art Of BattleTech, Renegade HPG, And The Remastered BattleTech Cartoon
- Read more →
- This article is about the BattleMech. For the Sovetskii Soyuz-class WarShip, see Avalanche (Sovetskii Soyuz).
|Manufacturer||Luthien Armor Works|
|Mech type||Inner Sphere OmniMech|
|Chassis||Luthien Class M Endo Steel|
|Armor||Mitchel Argon Standard|
|Communications System||Sipher CommCon SCU-9|
|Targeting Tracking System||Matabushi Stalker|
|Heat Sinks||10 Double Heat Sinks|
|Speed||86 kph km/h|
|Jump Jets||Icarus Standard|
The Avalanche is a thirty-second century Medium Class OmniMech, first deployed by the Draconis Combine and Clan Nova Cat. The 'Mech was conceived as part of a joint project between House Kurita and its then ally Clan Nova Cat. The design development was part an effort to aid in the rebuilding the Clan's depleted touman as result aftermath of the 2nd Combine-Dominion War which ended in 3101. The 'Mech would be developed over next 30 years after, however development would prove to be challenging both groups. After decades of development, the Avalanche would still have number of designs flaws which would give it a bad reputation among warriors of Clan Nova Cat.
The 'Mech would soon be deployed shortly before House Kurita's invasion of the Republic of the Sphere, where it would serve among House Kurita's elite forces. After the destruction of Clan Nova Cat as result in its revolt against Coordinator Yori Kurita, the dead Clan's allotment of Avalanche would be sold off to other Inner Sphere powers.
Weapons and Equipment
Constructed using Inner Sphere technologies, the 'Mech design was envisioned with economics in mind. The Avalanche is powered by a 250-rated Fusion Engine, giving it a modest maximum speed of 86 kph. Its hull is protected by 10 tons of Standard Armor, gives it less armor protection than other contemporary designs of the time period. Other features include; 16 tons of pod space, five Jump Jets, and CASE mounted in its right torso.
The Avalanche gains its name from its primary configuration which consists of two 10-tubed Long-Range Missile Launchers in its torso, which obscure it in a white, snow-like cloud of smoke when firing. The LRMs are backed up with a quartet of ER Medium Lasers mounted in the arms.
- Alt. Config. N
- The N configuration is lightly armed with a mix of Inner Sphere & Clan weaponry. This includes a single torso mounted Clan ER PPC and Targeting Computer. Its only other weapon, found in the right arm, is a Class 5 Light Autocannon with 40 rounds of ammunition. BV (2.0) = 1,873
- Wendigo - After the failure of this OmniMech's performance, the Nova Cats would create another OmniMech using the Avalanche as a basis, while also improving its flaws. This would result in the creation of the Wendigo.
The Avalanche features the following Design Quirks:
- MUL online date for the Avalanche
- Technical Readout: 3145 Draconis Combine, pp. 35 & 87, "Avalanche OmniMech Profile" - BV2
- Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 140
- 25 Years of Art and Fiction, p. 29 Timeline - end of Second Combine-Dominion War ends 3101.
- Technical Readout: 3145 Draconis Combine, p. 34 "Avalanche OmniMech Profile" - Background info
- Technical Readout: 3145 Draconis Combine, pp. 34-35 & 87, "Avalanche OmniMech Profile" - Stats
- Technical Readout: 3145 Draconis Combine, p. 88, "Avalanche OmniMech Profile" A Config.
- Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 141
- Technical Readout: 3145 Draconis Combine, p. 89, "Avalanche OmniMech Profile" B Config.
- Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 142
- Technical Readout: 3145 Draconis Combine, p. 90, "Avalanche OmniMech Profile" C Config.
- Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 143
- Technical Readout: 3145 Draconis Combine, p. 91, "Avalanche OmniMech Profile" - N Config.
- Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 144
- Technical Readout: 3145 Draconis Combine, p. 92, "Avalanche OmniMech Profile" - R Config.
- Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 145