- Your BattleTech News Roundup For March, 2021
- MechWarrior 5 Is On Steam & Catalyst Is Having A Sourcebook Sale
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For February, 2021
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For January, 2021
- Community Outreach - The Art Of BattleTech, Renegade HPG, And The Remastered BattleTech Cartoon
- Read more →
|Balac Strike VTOL|
|Manufacturer||New York Vehicle Y2 Facility|
|Armor||Forging AM15 Ferro-Fibrous|
|Engine||Consolidated 135 XL|
|Communications System||Neil 9000 Comm System|
|Targeting Tracking System||RCA Econotrac|
With Clan Diamond Shark expecting that both the Clan and Inner Sphere militaries would invest heavily to rebuild to pre-Jihad levels, the Sharks focused on quickly filling the need for a heavily armed VTOL. While sales were not everything the Sharks hoped for, thanks to the increasing use of reduced military philosophies by Devlin Stone, the Balac was a common sight within most standing militaries and was retained over other older designs that were being phased out. It was maintained in general use even after the collapse of the Republic of the Sphere.
Somewhat of a rarity for VTOLs due to their extreme increase in cost, a Consolidated 135 XL Fusion Engine provides the Balac with an impressive flank speed of 184 kph while allowing it to carry a heavy weapons load-out. Unfortunately like many VTOLs, the Balac carries a relatively minimal armor protection; two and half tons of Forging AM15 Ferro-Fibrous plating are enough to survive incidental hits at speed, but insufficient to survive a sustained salvo while pilots use the hover feature to maximize accuracy of its ATMs.
Weapons and Equipment
Intended for anti-vehicle support, the Balac carries a pair of Type 6 ATM-6 launchers as its primary weapons. With a four ton capacity ammo bay allowing the craft to carry any combination of ATM missile loads, the Balac boasted lengthy field endurance. In case the ATMs did run dry, a nose mounted Mk.3 ER Medium Laser provided a degree of non-ammo reliant firepower.
- Technical Readout: 3085, pp. 132-133, "Balac Strike VTOL"
- MUL online entry for the Balac
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge, p. 185
- MUL online entry for the Balac Strike VTOL (Spotter) variant
- MUL online entry for the Balac Strike VTOL (LRM) variant
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge, p. 184
- MUL online entry for the Balac Strike VTOL (Hybrid) variant
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades, p. 41