BattleTech (Video Game)
|First published||24 April 2018|
|Era||Succession Wars era|
It was announced on 29 July 2015 that a new BattleTech-themed game was going to be made, supported by very successful crowdfunding campaign. The Backer Beta was released via Steam on 01 June 2017; the finished game was first released on 24 April 2018. Multiple updates would be released over the following two years that would add new 'Mechs and story content.
- 1 Canonicity
- 2 Gameplay
- 3 Plot Synopsis
- 4 Flashpoints Missions
- 5 Featured BattleTech
- 6 Featured Characters
- 7 Expansion Packs
- 8 Resources
- 9 Art
- 10 References
- 11 Bibliography
- 12 External Links
Jordan Weisman of FASA fame, often called the "creator of BattleTech", was involved in the making of this game but it was technically produced under the offshoot license for BattleTech computer games that has been a separate intellectual property from the original tabletop BattleTech game, sourcebook and novel line ever since FASA's Virtual World Entertainment Group (and the computer game rights with it) was sold to Microsoft in 1999.
However, there was some cooperation between BattleTech license holder Catalyst Game Labs and HBS regarding this game. CGL Line Developer Randall N. Bills explicitly stated that it was intended for the game's storyline to be fully canonical. While the game as such was not declared canonical, CGL have since published a sourcebook–House Arano (The Aurigan Coalition)–that was written by HBS's Andrew McIntosh and Kiva Maginn. This sourcebook canonized the key worlds, characters and events from the game (but not the game as such).
|“||Steeped in the feudal political intrigue of the BattleTech universe, the game will feature an open-ended Mercenaries-style campaign that blends RPG ‘Mech and MechWarrior management with modern turn-based tactics.||”|
The game features turn-based 'Mech combat scenarios at its core, where the player gets to control up to four 'Mechs. Game rules and unit stats were altered significantly compared to standard "classic BattleTech" tabletop play, though some basic statistics and mechanics can be 'translated' or 'converted' between the underlying systems without too much difficulty (e.g. multiply all tabletop damage values by 5 to get rough equivalence with BattleTech's).
Mission objectives vary, and while most missions are procedurally generated there are also a number of pregenerated missions that serve to narrate the storyline (see Plot Synopsis below). Both procedural and storyline missions may present complications such as limited drop weight, poor intelligence (the actual difficulty of the mission may be higher than displayed), allied units helping out, enemy reinforcements arriving, artillery barrages presenting dangerous areas, and so on.
In addition, there is a metagame with economic and role-playing elements where the player gets to run his or her own mercenary unit (default name "<Character Name>'s Marauders", though the player is free to give it any other name thereafter) and manage their assets including MechWarrior characters between missions. The player will also have to manage relations with various political factions (Successor States, Periphery Realms, but also groups like pirates and local governments) and negotiate for cash, salvage, or goodwill from these factions when conducting missions depending on their particular needs or goals. Periodically the player may have to resolve random events during travel, such as disagreements between their pilots, mishaps, and so on. These events have multiple choice outcomes, many of which may be unlocked or modified by the characters involved possessing certain traits or modifiers, or other statuses like the player having high reputation with a faction involved in the event.
Aside from the main Campaign mode the game also features a Career mode, where the goal is to simply attain the highest possible score the player can within 1,200 days of in-game time; there are no mandatory story missions involved, though Flashpoints may appear if the appropriate DLC is installed. Scoring categories include unique 'Mechs and variants collected, 'Mech weight class collections completed (e.g. collecting every heavy 'Mech in the game rewards a significant point bonus), missions completed, C-bills earned, Argo upgrades installed, non-Commander pilots leveled up, total systems visited, and more. There are also Skirmish and Multiplayer modes, where players can go head to head against the AI or other human players to prove their skill in battle on various battlefields with handpicked Lance setups.
Finally, as of the last major update, the game itself is also highly modifiable with an integrated mod launcher and official support for modding game assets. It is fully possible for users to add their own 'Mechs (canon or otherwise), 'Mech variants, vehicles, vehicle variants, weapons, mission types, and much more. The underlying gameplay systems themselves can also be modified and expanded to, for example, increase the complexity of the various systems to something more closely resembling classic BattleTech tabletop rules for those so inclined.
The game is set in the Aurigan Reach region in the rimward periphery, beyond the Free Worlds League, the Capellan Confederation and the Federated Suns and between the Taurian Concordat and the Magistracy of Canopus.
The Aurigan Reach was created for this game, including many of its named worlds that had not been mentioned in canon before, by fleshing out what had mostly been a blank slate in previous BattleTech canon. Given that many named worlds will belong to one of the other, larger powers on canonical star maps set later in the timeline, it is understood that the Aurigan Reach and the realms therein are struggling minor periphery powers barely considered noteworthy by the Inner Sphere.
The game is (mostly) set around the year 3025, near the end the Third Succession War. Its optional storyline, narrated via a "breadcrumbs" trail of storyline missions, in-game dialogue trees, and cutscenes, that the player may follow or ignore, is broadly concerned with the Arano Restoration:
In 2910, after the major factions abandoned the area for more than a hundred years, a new state—the Aurigan Coalition—sprang up, centered around the noble families of the trade worlds Coromodir, Guldra and Tyrlon. Coromodir was chosen as the capital and the noble House Arano and House Espinosa became the leaders when the Arano family displaced the figurehead governor the Taurians had left behind in 2820. In 3025 border tensions with the Taurian Concordat rose to a point where war was inevitable, as the Taurians laid claims to border worlds like Qalzi. At the same time, the Capellan Confederation is claiming former Confederate worlds on the other side of the Aurigan Coalition. After High Lord Tamati Arano II died in a space travel accident, the rule of his daughter and heir, Lady Kamea Arano, is usurped by House Espinosa. With the help of a mercenary unit—the player unit—she sets out to restore her rule over the Aurigan Coalition.
Restoration Campaign Missions
- Cutscene – Prologue - A cutscene of Lady Kamea Arano reminiscing about the Restoration and the cost she had to pay to sit on the Cormorant throne. And how she never knew what was the cause the Commander fought for. (Transcript)
- Cutscene – Setting - A cutscene that provides the setting of the Campaign, showing the beginning of the separation between Lady Kamea Arano and Lord Santiago Espinosa. It will start after the player has created the background for the Commander. (Transcript)
- Mission 1A - TUTORIAL - Coromodir - Arano Summer Palace — 08:53 Local Time - Captain of the Guard Raju “Mastiff” Montgomery has either rescued or recruited the Commander to assist in escorting Lady Kamea Arano to her Coronation in Cordia City. But first, your Blackjack BJ-1 needs a test run after its overhaul. After a successful weapons test and dealing with a malfunctioning after completing the Jump Jets test, the Commander and Mastiff head to the Cormorant Road to rendezvous with Lady Kamea Arano. (Transcript)
- Cutscene – Betrayal - A cutscene showing Lord Santiago Espinosa motivating his houses's troops as their Dropships begin their reentry descent onto Coromodir. (Transcript)
- Mission 1B - CORONATION DAY - Coromodir - Cordia City Outskirts — 13:22 Local Time – Continuing to escort Lady Arano to the tourney grounds with Mastiff, your group comes across destroyed guard post. Approaching a patrol of Royal Guard ahead on the Cormorant Road, consisting a Panther PNT-9R and a Shadow Hawk SHD-2H, reveals that parts of the Royal Guard has been suborned by House Espinosa. Lord Alexander Madeira contacts Lady Arano to report that infighting has overtaken all of Cordia City and loyalist Royal Guard Mechs are suffering sabotage. Heading to Rotorua Township to rally with other loyalist groups, and dealing with House Espinosa vehicle platoon consisting of two Strikers, a Galleon and a Scorpion, the comm conversation is interrupted by a bombardment of nearby buildings. Victoria Espinosa then contacts Lady Arano and berates her about refusing her father's plans. After Lady Arano refuses Lady Espinosa terms to surrender, Lady Espinosa orders her forces consisting of Cicada CDA-2A, Spider SDR-5V, and a Locust LCT-1S, to capture Lady Arano alive. Santiago Espinosa then broadcast a planetwide transmission that he has assumed control of the Aurigan Coalition. Lord Alexander manages to reestablishes radio contact and both Mastiff and Lord Alexander manages to convince Lady Arano to escape Coromodir as more Espinosa forces consisting first of a Striker, and a Scorpion, then Captain Haust's Wolverine WVR-6R and a pair of turrets attempt to block their escape. As Mastiff and the Commander hold a rear guard action to buy time for Lady Arano's dropship to launch. Sabotage will disable the Commander's Blackjack, forcing them to eject, leaving Mastiff's last stand against Lady Espinosa and her forces as the mission ends. (Transcript)
- Cutscene – Coup - A cutscene showing Mastiff's last stand against Lady Espinosa and her forces, while a news broadcast shows a Union Class Dropship being destroyed as it leaves the atmosphere, with the caption that Lady Kamea Arano is dead. House Espinosa forces are show occupying Cordia City, while Lord Santiago Espinosa sits on the Cormorant throne, which now carries his house's crest, as he and Lady Espinosa hold court. (No dialogue)
- The Story So Far: (This text page only occurs if the skip prologue is selected in a custom campaign's new game difficulty settings. It will summarize the TUTORIAL and CORONATION DAY missions along with the Setting, Betrayal, and Coup Cutscenes.)
On the day of Lady Kamea Arano's ascension to the throne, her uncle Lord Espinosa and his daughter Victoria launch a desperate coup. Through surprise, sabotage, and strength in numbers, their forces quickly secure the capital and solidify control over the Aurigan government. With help from you and your old mentor Mastiff Montgomery, Lady Kamea along with her close friend and advisor Alexander Madeira, attempt an escape. Mastiff sacrifices himself to cover their exit, but their DropShip is destroyed during the attempt. In the aftermath of the battle, you and your 'Mech were recovered by Darius Oliveira, the Executive Officer of a small mercenary company in need of a new commander. Three years later...
- Mission 2 – RENT-TO-OWN - Úr Cruinne — Rimward Frontier — Three years after the Commander's escape from Coromodir finds them in charge of a small mercenary company in need of a new commander. Stuck with crippling loans and slim pickings in the way of contracts out in the Rimward Frontier. Under contract to assist the Independent Prospectors' League on Úr Cruinne in retaking their stolen claims. Majesty Metals & Manufacturing has occupied two of IPL's mining platforms. Deploying from IPL's remaining platform, the Commander leads their lance consisting of the Commander's Blackjack BJ-1, Glitch will be piloting a Vindicator VND-1R, Behemoth will be piloting a Shadow Hawk SHD-2H, and Dekkar will be piloting a Spider SDR-5V, against the Alpha Platform, which is defended by several turrets along with a Commando COM-2D and a Spider SDR-5V. After disabling the turret generator on Alpha and its defending Mechs, the Commander heads to the Beta platform which is now been reinforced by a Shadow Hawk SHD-2D along with two Scorpion tanks. Destroying the defending forces and the CorpSec should have been the end of this mission. But upon the Commander's return to IPL's remaining platform will cause the ILP rep to issue a surrender demand for your lance. Four turrets and a Galleon, a Scorpion, and a Striker will attempt to enforce the surrender demand. Destroying the platform's turret generator and IPL's vehicles will clear the area for pick up by the Leopard and a demand from its pilot Sumire for a “Team Meeting”. (Transcript)
- Mission 3 – CAPTURE THE ARGO - Axylus — Rimward Frontier – After recovering from the jump that Ana Maria Centrella's jumpship utilized to reach a Pirate jump point near the moon Axylus. The Commander's lance will be deployed near the wreck site on the surface of Axylus. The first objective are two radar towers that provide fire control for the pirate AA guns. Defending the two radar towers is a turret grid and a wave of pirate vehicles consisting of a Bulldog, two Strikers, and two Scorpions. With the radar towers down and the pirate vehicles destroyed, continue on to wreck site. After the Leopard drops off Dr. Farah Murad, her team of engineers, and a company of Canopian Marines to secure the wreck. The pirates will counter attack with a Commando COM-2D, a Jenner JR7-D, a Locust LCT-1S, a Scorpion and a Galleon, while Dr Murad will keep Darius updated on the status of securing the wreck. Once the pirate counter attack has been dealt with, Grim Sybil will emerge piloting a Quickdraw QKD-4G along with pirate Shadow Hawk SHD-2D. Once you have defeated Grim Sybil and the last of the pirates, Dr Murad will tell the Commander to get their lance aboard the Argo to end the mission. (Transcript)
- Cutscene – Argo - A cutscene showing Argo lifting off from the surface of Axylus. As it enters a stable orbit around a planet, your Leopard is in transit to a Jumpship sitting at a Pirate Point. A pair of familiar figures will be waiting for the Commander. (No dialogue)
- Mission 4 – LIBERATION OF WELDRY - Weldry — Aurigan Directorate – Launching the strike mission against the Icebox, has the Commander's lance deployed just outside the prison. The outer prison defenses consist of turret grid along with two Bulldogs, two Scorpion, and Striker. Once outer prison defenses have been neutralized and the Commander's lance has breached the outer wall, a standby lance of Mechs will power up. The warden will be in a JagerMech JM6-S while the rest of the lance will consist of a Centurion CN9-A, a Trebuchet TBT-5N, and a Jenner JR7-D. Two turns after the Prison guards lance power up, Lady Arano piloting a Kintaro KTO-18 will breach the wall from the North. Defeated the last of the prison guards to end the mission. (Transcript)
- Cutscene – Mastiff - A cutscene showing Lady Arano entering a field morgue in the Icebox to find a recently deceased Mastiff in a body bag, laying on one of the tables. (Transcript)
- Cutscene – Revolution - A cutscene showing Lady Arano announcing the brutality of the Icebox on Weldry and beginning of the Restoration. (Transcript)
- Mission 5 – LIBERATE: PANZYR - Panzyr — Aurigan Directorate – Deploying from Panzyr orbit in response to the capture of Panzyr's only remaining spaceport, the Commander's lance will be dropped just outside the spaceport. The Commander has 15 turns to destroy the Dropship Control Center before the ADV Coronach makes planetfall. The first objective is to destroy a platoon of Directorate armor consisting of 2 Bulldogs, 2 SRM Carrier and a Striker, that is stationed around the control center for the spaceport's turret grid. Destroying the armor will allow a Leopard to deploy engineers from the 2nd Decimis Fusiliers to start the reprogramming process. A the same time a reinforced lance of Directorate Mechs consisting of a Jenner JR7-D, a Panther PNT-9R, a Hunchback HBK-4G, a Centurion CN9-AL, a Trebuchet TBT-5N, and a Dragon DRG-1N will start to move across the spaceport from the left side of the map to engage the commander's lance. Destroying the Dropship Control Center then eliminating the Directorate Mechs, or reaching the evacuation point will end the mission. (Transcript)
- Mission 6 – LIBERATE: SMITHON - Smithon — Aurigan Directorate – Tasked with re-capturing a House Karosa munitions dump from a Directorate raiding party, the Commander's lance will be dropped to the south of the dump. The objective is destroy both lances of Directorate Mechs and the dump's turret grid, without destroying most of the stacked pallets of ammunition that are scattered around the munitions dump. The restoration will also pay a bounty for every destroyed Directorate ammo transport that is trying to leave that area. The Directorate forces consist of a Locust LCT-1V, a Firestarter FS9-H, a Spider SDR-5V, a Jenner JR7-D, a Panther PNT-9R, a Cicada CDA-3C, a Griffin GRF-1N, and a Dragon DRG-1N. Destroying all the the Directorate Mechs will end the mission. (Transcript)
- Mission 7 – SERVED COLD - Anvelt — Aurigan Directorate – In order to gain the support of House Karosa. The commander's lance is tasked with intercepting and destroying the Newgrange on the moon of Anvelt. Approaching the refueling site, destroying the turret grid and a pirate lance consisting of a Commando COM-2D, a Panther PNT-9R, a Shadow Hawk SHD-2H, and a Wolverine WVR-6R. Destroying the fuel pumping station will destroy the Newgrang. At the same time a Directorate Leopard will deploy a lance led by Victoria consisting of a Catapult CPLT-K2, a Dragon DRG-1N, a Centurion CN9-A, and a Firestarter FS9-H. Destroying all of Victoria's lance will end the mission. (Transcript)
- Cutscene – Newgrange - A cutscene showing the burning wreck of Newgrange on Anvelt, while the Leopard has located an escape pod with Lady Espinosa inside. (No dialogue)
- Mission 8 – RAISING THE DEAD - Artru — Aurigan Directorate – Deploying to the surface of Artru to secure the remains of Castle Nautius. Dr. Farah Murad attempt's to gain outside access to Castle Nautilus's computer trips several security protocols, causing the Argo to go dark and activating the Castle's defenses. 3 Heavy Drones and 3 Medium Drones will spawn to attack the commander's lance. Destroying all of the drones will cause the Castle's turret network to activate. More waves of Heavy Drones and Medium Drones will spawn as the commander's lance must hold out for 4 Rounds, as the Castle's security defenses are overridden. (Transcript)
- Cutscene – Ambush - A cutscene showing Lady Arano looking out at the rows of Star League Era Mechs in the Outpost Castle Nautilus. It then cuts to outside of the Outpost Castle to show a Fortress Class Dropship Iberia of the Taurian Concordat as it descends to the surface of Anvelt. Commodore Samuel Ostergaard then announces his forces and a demand for the surrender of all Restoration forces on Anvelt. (Transcript)
- Mission 9 – ESCAPE - Artru — Aurigan Directorate – The start of the mission has Lady Arano and three of her house guards in SLDF Royal BattleMechs. Lady Arano will be piloting a Atlas II AS7-D-HT, Charybdis will be piloting a Highlander HGN-732B, Kanaloa will be piloting a Black Knight BL-6B-KNT, and Reynard will be piloting a Griffin GRF-2N. Facing them just outside of the Castle door's is a Taurian Recon lance consisting of a Jenner JR7-D, a Firestarter FS9-H, a Commando COM-1B, and a Shadow Hawk SHD-2D. A second Taurian lance consisting of a Jenner JR7-D, a Panther PNT-9R, and a Enforcer ENF-4 with attached Striker and Scorpion will attempt to block Lady Arano escape to the Delfinas. Once you have established contact with Delfinas to begin the extraction off Artru, the Iberia will use its Long Tom Artillery Cannon to destroy the Delfinas. Lady Arano and her lance will have to evade more incoming Taurian artillery strikes to reach the secondary landing zone at the other side of the valley. Destroying a third Taurian reinforced lance consisting of a Griffin GRF-1N, a Vindicator VND-1R, a Zeus ZEU-6S, a Awesome AWS-8Q, and a Battlemaster BLR-1G that are emplaced to block access to the secondary landing zone. Once Lady Arano and the surviving members of her lance reach the secondary landing zone the mission will end. (Transcript)
- Cutscene – Armory - A cutscene showing Commodore Samuel Ostergaard looking out from the Iberia as Lady Arano's dropship lifting off for space while swearing vengeance. (Transcript)
- Cutscene – Ruin - A cutscene of Santiago Espinosa making a speech as Victoria Espinosa looks on. Announcing an alliance between the Concordat and the Directorate, which has freed Victoria from a House Karosas cell. As the Iberia uses its Long Tom Artillery Piece to shell the seat of House Karosas on Smithon, Simon Karosas watches the destruction before being executed by Victoria Espinosa. (Transcript)
- Mission 10 – DEFENSE: SMITHON - Smithon — Aurigan Restoration – Deploying to defend the spaceport that is handing the evacuation of Smithon in the face of Taurian aggression. There are three Leopards, (call-signs Shepherd One, Shepherd Two, and Shepherd Three), inbound to assist with the evacuation. There are three docking pads with attached fuel reservoirs that each Dropship will be heading for. The main purpose of this mission is to run interference and prevent the Taurians from focusing on the fuel reservoirs and destroying the evacuation Dropships on the docking pads when they are the most vulnerable. A Dropship will land at the end of rounds Two, Three, and Five, and will spend two rounds on the ground before lifting off. There are five turrets and two Strikers that will provide some assistance in the defense. A soon as the mission starts a reinforced Taurain lance consisting of two Jenner JR7-D's, a BattleMaster BLR-1G, a Thunderbolt TDR-5S, a Enforcer ENF-4R, and a Firestarter FS9-H will start pushing down from the north the main road to the spaceport. As Shepherd One begins it approach, a Taurian Dropship will hot drop a Spider SDR-5V and a Commando COM-1B on the right flank of the Spaceport. As soon as Shepherd One has landed and Shepherd Two begins its approach, another Taurian Dropship will hot drop a Panther PNT-9R and a Jenner JR7-D on the left flank of the Spaceport. Defending the spaceport and protecting at least two of the evac Leopards and destroying all of the attacking Taurian Mechs will end the mission. (Transcript)
- Mission 11 – LIBERATE: ITROM - Itrom — Aurigan Directorate – Deploying to the surface of Itrom to mount a count-strike mission against Directorate forces that have seized the largest ore processor and refinery on the planet. Priority is to capture at least one of the storage silo that are defended by the Directorate forces, the Restoration will pay out bonuses for capturing the other two silos. The conditions of Itrom make sensor and communications systems unreliable, allowing the Commander's lance to hit individual silos in sequence, but as soon as the Directorate forces gain line-of-site on the Commander's lance, it will trigger a 5 round self-destruct of the defending silo. Silo Alpha is defended by a Blackjack BJ-1, a Commando COM-1B, a Griffin GRF-1S and a SRM Carrier. Silo Bravo is defended by a Centurion CN9-AL, a Locust LCT-1V, a Trebuchet TBT-5N and a LRM Carrier. Silo Charlie is defended by a Cicada CDA-3C, a Jenner JR7-D, a Shadow Hawk SHD-2H, and a SRM Carrier. Capturing at least one of the silos and then reaching the evacuation site to end the mission. (Transcript)
- Mission 12 – DEFENSE: PANZYR - Panzyr — Aurigan Restoration – Deploying to relieve the 2nd Decimis Fusiliers who have been nearly destroyed defending the spaceport on Panzyr against an attacking Taurian force. A lance consisting of a a Panther PNT-9R, a Commando COM-2D, a Trebuchet TBT-5N and two APCs will be on the opposite side of the spaceport while Jenner JR7-D, a Wolverine WVR-6K, a Commando COM-1B, and two more APCs will be moving from the left side of the space port in an attempt to seize control of the command center. At the end of the first round, the Taurians will send a single APC to seize a barracks filled with the wounded from the 2nd Decimis Fusiliers. The end of the second round will have a Taurian dropship hot drop a SRM Carrier and another APC on the pad to the southwest of the command center. The end of the third round will have another Taurian dropship hot drop a Shreck PPC Carrier and the sixth and final APC in the open space directly to the north of the command center. Destroying all six of the APCs will allow the 2nd Decimis Fusiliers to bring the spaceport's turret grid back online. Destroying all six APCs, along with all the attacking Taurian forces to end this mission (Transcript)
- Mission 13 – GUNBOAT DIPLOMACY - Guldra — Aurigan Directorate – Deploying with Lady Kamea in her Atlas II AS7-D-HT to rescue Lord Alexander from a Directorate facility on Guldra. On approach to the facility will reveal a Dragon DRG-1N , two Gallons tanks, and three turrets with a generator defending the facility. Upon securing the facility will reveal that your lance has walked into a ambush as a Hunchback HBK-4P, Trebuchet TBT-5N, and a SRM Carrier will power up on down the road to the east of the facility while a Panther PNT-9R and Wolverine WVR-6K will power up on the reverse slope to the north of the facility. Defeating all of the ambushers will see a Directorate dropship hot drop another lance consisting of a Kintaro KTO-18 and three Firestarters FS9-H to the west of the facility. Lady Kamea then has to make a hard choice on rescuing Lord Alexander over recovering the data the Lord Alexander has placed in the dead drop. Another Directorate dropship hot drops a LRM Carrier and a Black Knight BL-7-KNT up the road to the northwest of the dead drop site, while a Jenner JR7-D and a Commando COM-1B will power up on the far side of the ridge to the north of the dead drop site. There is a nine round time limit to reach the dead drop site and secure the data, with a three rounds need to download the data. Reaching the the evac site with the data will successfully end the mission. While it is not necessary to defeat the remaining Directorate forces, the mission will automatic extract the commander's lance and successfully end the mission if all Directorate forces are defeated. (Transcript)
- Cutscene – Capture - A cutscene showing a captured and bleeding Alexander Madeira in the hands of House Espinosa, while Lady Arano struggles with hard choice she had to make. (No dialogue)
- Mission 14 – LIBERATE: TYRLON - Tyrlon — Aurigan Directorate – The Commander's lance has been tasked with knocking out the three generators that are powering the defensive grid for the Tyrlon Shipyard. This is a timed mission as a three generators need to be destroyed before 17 rounds elapse. Each generators have their own defensive turret grids. A Jenner JR7-D, a Quickdraw QKD-5A and two Striker Light Tanks will be in the hills surrounding generator Alpha. Adding to the Directorate defenses are two modified Spiders SDR-5V that are a being used as forward observers for Directorate artillery strikes, one on the roadway to the east of Alpha Generator and the other one is on the highway underneath the Bravo Generator. As the commander's lance is on the highway to the west of the Charlie Generator, a Directorate Dropship will hot drop a lance consisting of Vindicator VND-1R, Trebuchet TBT-5N, a JagerMech JM6-A and the third Spotter Spider SDR-5V on the highway just underneath the Charlie Generator. Destroying all three generators and all Directorate forces will end the mission. (Transcript)
- Cutscene – Hostage - A cutscene showing Argo and the rest of the Restoration forces begining the invasion of Coromodir. At the massive ground battle begins outside of Cordia City, Commodore Samuel Ostergaard and theIberia begins their approach to Coromodir. (Transcript)
- Mission 15– LOCURA - Lyris — Aurigan Directorate – In an attempt to counter Ostergaard and and his surviving forces aboard the Iberia from tipping the balance on Coromodir, the Commander's lance is heading to the moon of Lyris to capture a communication station in an attempt to upload the Locura virus to disable the Iberia. Immediately on the ground, a Directorate lance consisting of a Jenner JR7-D, Vindicator VND-1R, Catapult CPLT-C1, and Orion ON1-K and a turret grid are defending the station. Alongside the Commander's deployed lance there are two allied Schrek PPC Carriers and two Sleipnirs APCs that will attempt to capture the two turret control centers. Dr. Murad need to be taken by the first mech deployed in your lance to the marked Comm Array. As soon as Dr. Murad is inside the Comm Array, a Directorate dropship will land a second lance consisting of a four random heavy mechs in the compound's southeastern courtyard. The commander's deployed lance needs to defend the Comm Array for 10 rounds to complete the upload of the Locura to the Directorate's communication network. After 5 rounds have passed another Directorate dropship will land a third lance consisting of a Jenner JR7-D, a JagerMech JM6-S, a Battlemaster BLR-1G, and a Banshee BNC-3M on the east side of the compound. (Transcript)
- Cutscene – Crash - A cutscene showing Iberia in an uncontrolled reentry as the Locura virus has destroyed all shipboard functions. (No dialogue)
- Mission 16– SHOWDOWN - Coromodir — Aurigan Directorate – Immediately following the previous mission Lady Arano in her Atlas II AS7-D-HT and three other members of the Commander's company are just outside of the tourney grounds of Cordia City in an attempt to force Lady Victoria's surrender. Unwilling to surrender, it turns into a duel to the death. Lady Victoria is piloting a custom King Crab KGC-0000 with a Awesome AWS-8T, a Cataphract CTF-1X, and a JagerMech JM6-S in support. It is a simple duel between two lances of mechs. As soon as all of Lady Victoria's lance is destroyed and with Lady Arano surviving to end the mission and the Campaign. (Transcript)
- Cutscene – Finale - A cutscene showing Lady Arano standing in her Atlas' entry hatch looking at the burning remains of Victoria Espinosa's destroyed King Crab. Lady Arano thinks back on the events that led to this moment. Then as Lady Arano arrests Santiago Espinosa while thinking about the costs of the restoration, and what ever the cause of the Commander fought for, they are a hero in the eyes of history. (Transcript)
Introduced with the "BattleTech: Flashpoint Expansion Pack" DLC, Flashpoints Mission are a series of stand-alone mini-campaigns. In comparison to the procedurally generated stand-alone missions, Flashpoints are scripted narrative missions that are linked, often forcing consecutive deployments. Each successive DLC pack added additional Flashpoints, with those of "Heavy Metal" being closest to a single integrated story.
Flashpoints are available in both the game's Campaign and Career modes. In the game's story-based Campaign Mode, the Flashpoints appear after the final Campaign mission SHOWDOWN has been completed, but in the story-less Career mode Flashpoints appear immediately on the star map after the players completes their first few contracts.
Flashpoints were the primary means to provide the famous in-universe character cameos that were achieved stretch goals in the the game's crowdfunding campaign.
- "Bourbon & BattleMechs" (Transcript)
- "Criminal Minds" (Transcript)
- "Extracurricular Activities" (Transcript)
- "Headhunting" (Transcript)
- "Joint Venture" (Transcript)
- "Operation: Flattened Earth" (Transcript)
- "The Baying of Hounds" (Transcript)
- "The Defector" (Transcript)
- "The Long Hunt" (Transcript)
- "The Opportunist" (Transcript)
- "The Steel Beast" (Transcript)
- "Unwelcome Guests" (Transcript)
- "White Lies" (Transcript)
- "Davion Alliance" (Transcript)
- "Kurita Alliance" (Transcript)
- "Liao Alliance" (Transcript)
- "Marik Alliance" (Transcript)
- "Steiner Alliance" (Transcript)
BattleTech: Urban Warfare
- "A House Divided" (Transcript)
- "Double Agent" (Transcript)
- "Hearts and Minds" (Transcript)
- "One Man's Trash" (Transcript)
- "Prototype" (Transcript)
- "Red Hunt" (Transcript)
- "Siegebreaker" (Transcript)
- "Succession" (Transcript)
- "Tournament of Champions" (Transcript)
- "Yang Virtanen's Big Score" (Transcript)
BattleTech: Heavy Metal
- Hatchetman *
- Crab *
- Shadow Hawk
- Assassin *
- Vulcan *
- Phoenix Hawk *
- Black Knight
- Archer *
- Warhammer **
- Marauder **
- Rifleman *
Asterisk * - Denotes DLC-only 'Mechs. Note that while the UrbanMech made an appearance during the tutorial of the game, it did not appear under the control of the AI in single-player until the Urban Warfare DLC.
Also note that Warhammer and Marauder (denoted with double asterisk **) are added with free game update associated with the Heavy Metal DLC.
- Ammunition Transporter
- LRM Carrier
- Mobile HQ
- Mobile Long Tom (model used as scenery only)
- Schrek PPC Carrier
- Sleipnir APC
- SRM Carrier
- Swift Wind
- Vargr APC
- Wheeled APC
- Zephyr (as SLDF Medium Drone and SLDF Heavy Drone)
- Gallant *
- Packrat *
- Rotunda *
Asterisk * - Denotes a DLC-only vehicle
- Argo (Argo)
- Fortress (Iberia)
- Leopard (Delfinas, Hysteria)
- Union (Newgrange)
- ADV Coranach, DropShip of unspecified type
Magistracy of Canopus
The player character's mercenary unit (the name may be changed by the player at any time) consists of the Commander, three non-player characters serving in noncombat roles, plus four initial playable MechWarriors.
Over the course of the game there is a wide range of further possible recruits for the unit, both in the form of "Ronin" backers and randomly generated pilots.
Announced on 21 August 2018 was the game's first expansion pack, dubbed Flashpoint, which released on 27 November 2018. The expansion includes a new challenging mission type "Target Acquisition" which is focused on territory control best suited to light and medium 'Mechs, new tropical biome and three new 'Mechs including the Crab, Cyclops, and Hatchetman - the first 'Mech not taken from MechWarrior Online.
The expansion's key feature is the inclusion of seventeen "Flashpoint" missions, high-stakes branching short stories which are comprised of nonprocedural missions linked together by new crew conversations and special events. To ramp up the intensity, some Flashpoint stories feature "Consecutive Deployments" in which players will not be able to repair their 'Mechs between missions.
The second expansion pack, Urban Warfare, was announced 18 October 2018 as part of the promotional materials for the game's season pass. Urban Warfare was released on 4 June 2019.
As its name implies, the pack's focus is the introduction of urban environments to the game with tall fully destructible buildings hindering line of site offering a new challenge. The Urban Warfare pack also adds ten new Flashpoints and a host of new equipment including ECM and Active Probes, three new vehicles - the Gallant Urban Assault Tank, the Packrat and Rotunda - and two new BattleMechs, the Raven and Javelin.
The name of the game's third planned expansion pack Heavy Metal was announced at the same time the Urban Warfare release date was announced. The pack was released on 21 November 2019.
It was announced at Mech Con 2018 that the Unseen were intended to be included in Urban Warfare. PDXCon 2019 revealed that the expansion would include eight new 'Mechs - the Flea, Assassin, Phoenix Hawk, Vulcan, Archer, Rifleman, Annihilator and a unique new original 'Mech developed by HBS, the Bull Shark. Each 'Mech included a unique feature, with eight new weapon systems including 'Mech Mortars and Inferno Missiles were included. The expansion also includes a new Flashpoint that includes an encounter with Wolf's Dragoons, Natasha Kerensky and the Bounty Hunter. It was released alongside a major free update that introduced the Marauder and Warhammer, and also added official mod support.
- BattleMechs in BattleTech Video Game
- Characters in BattleTech Video Game
- Equipment in BattleTech Video Game
- Planets in BattleTech Video Game
- Vehicles in BattleTech Video Game
- Flashpoint Missions in BattleTech Video Game
- In this forum thread on the game's homepage:
Q: "[D]oes your work on MWO and HBS-BT mean the Hero 'Mech fluff in the former and the campaign storyline in the latter are canonical for the core (CGL) BatteTech lore?"
A (by Randall Bills): "For the Hero 'Mechs, absolutely. And that is the intention with the HBS campaign storyline as well."
- Harebrained Schemes LLC: Kickstarter Update #28: "History of the Aurigan Reach"
- Harebrained Schemes LLC: Kickstarter Update #48: "Battle Stations! This is not a drill!"