BattleTechWiki talk:Project Clans
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For August, 2021
- Sarna Interviews Ray Arrastia, BattleTech Line Developer At Catalyst Games
- Community Outreach - Converting HBS’s BATTLETECH Campaign To Tabletop With Riley Centrella
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For July, 2021
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For June, 2021
- Read more →
Clans becoming Something else page Policy
) I would like to hammer down the policy on which we modify Clan pages when they are Being called and/or are officially something else from what they started as.
- For example Clan Wolf by 3145 is the Wolf Empire and any reference to after that date of "founding" should be as of being it's new name. Yes it is still a Clan, however just like any other faction they have officially changed their name and as an aid to players we should change to match the timeline.
- However do we do the same as when this happens to other factions? Make a new page and link them together by saying something like "For prior history see this...?"
- This was shown already as there is 2 different pages for Clan Snow Raven and Raven Alliance.
- However it can lead to issues like the odd case that is the Clan Ghost Bear page and it's Rasalhague Dominion page both seem to being updated with the same information.Though a issue I can see is that their could be 3 pages for this as this faction had a inbetween phase that instead of being shown separate was just merge in (to both humorously)
- In the case of the Scorpion Empire, Escorpión Imperio and Clan Goliath Scorpion pages. There is at least 3 and reasonable.
- The worst of all is the confusing story of Clan Sea Fox and it switching to it's Clan Diamond Shark name and back again. So many articles are worded obviously with whichever they were at the time and due to their name at the present time in the fiction being Sea Fox again does that mean we have to recon the entire wiki somehow? (I only say this as I'm having to change the current bloodname tables to reflect this)
- If we do decide to go this direction then their unit pages will also have to go through the same treatment. For example there will be 2 pages of basically the same unit. 21st Combined Assault (Clan Diamond Shark) and 21st Combined Assault (Clan Sea Fox). The First will have it's history till around 3085 and the other having until current.
- Doing it halfway or doing it case by case can't really work here as doing will just more issues what do you all think? --Deadfire (talk) 06:59, 9 January 2021 (EST)
- I see two different sets of circumstances that should be treated differently: 1) A faction changed it's name, and 2) A faction merged with another faction.
- I feel a faction changing it's name should not require a new article. I don't like changing the name of the old article because all links to it now go through a redirect, whereas a new section of an old article can be directly linked. Wolf Empire should link to Clan Wolf#Wolf Empire, and the Diamond Sharks/Sea Foxes should follow suit. In the case of faction mergers, I think a new article should be created and the "history" section of the original factions should end at the date the merger occurred (X faction merged with Y faction in 30XX, forming XY faction). Clan Goliath Scorpion did not merge, they conquered. Nueva Castile, the Umayyad Caliphate, and the Hanseatic League are done. Their history should end and be pointed to Clan Goliath Scorpion#Escorpión Imperio and then Clan Goliath Scorpion#Scorpion Empire (both new sections of the Clan Goliath Scorpion article). --Cache (talk) 10:30, 10 January 2021 (EST)
Clan article format standard
Thought I would get some feed back on this one before making the huge amount of changes required.
I purpose the following layout for each Clan (faction) article:
- See also Clan Blank's history (aka link to long version of their lore)
- Than under this section write a brief overview of the article being linked.
- Anything that makes their Clan socially different than others
- See also Clan Blank's Touman
- And that's it, just put their military stuff there.
- Inter-Clan Relations
- I figure this all could be replaced with a simple chart with the fluff (if even needed) pushed to the Clan's history page.
- Main article: List of Khans#Clan Blank
- Main article: List of saKhans#Clan Blank
- Main article: List of Loremasters#Clan Blank
- Main article: List of Bloodnames#Clan Blank
- Related Category: Clan Blank Bloodnames
- Era Specific Data
- In my honest opinion I really don't see a reason for this section. It was a index that was printed twice and not really revisited. Additionally to the reader it doesn't offer up information that could really be used as it's very general and very broad.
- Hey Deadfire,
- I like the look of it and appreciate that you plan to use links to other parts of the wiki for specific info. I think it has been the main weakness of most of the major faction articles that they get bogged down in trying to cover too much info and just ends up being a huge neglected infodump.
- The Era Specific Data section is pretty much a holdover from this kitchen sink method of writing the articles, it is still common in faction and planet articles but has largely been retired in favor of the more dynamic List of insert role type articles that you plan to make use of.
- The inter-clan relations section is possibly something that we should consider dropping as it is not a fixed thing but more about politics and anything truly notable would show up in the clan history articles. I think this is further supported by the fact that we do not have (nor ever had) a corresponding section in non-clan faction articles, this section only exists because the FM: Clans books included it as a section.--Dmon (talk) 05:37, 30 April 2021 (EDT)
- Aye the aim is to make the information less fluid and more refined in order.have lesst updating happen way less often. Dropping that section was on the block as not only the information is much to do old, in the New Era who knows how different it all will be.--Deadfire (talk) 07:18, 30 April 2021 (EDT)
- Is this proposed layout set in stone or open for discussion? I saw some edit fighting and decided to take a look. The "Era Specific" sections would be nice to hold onto in some page on the wiki, it's useful for certain eras. And I think it would be useful for each Clan's respective page to list its Revival-era bloodnames in addition to having the link to the main bloodname page (since said page is extremely messy).