BattleTechWiki talk:Project Planets/Planet Overhaul/Faction Map Gallery
- Community Outreach - Tex Talks BattleTech
- Clan Invasion Approaches $2 Million Stretch Goal, Teases UrbanMech Plushie
- What’s up with Catalyst? at GenCon 2019
- MechWarrior 5 Confirmed As Epic Games Store Exclusive
- Clan Invasion Boxed Set Funded In 7 Freakin’ Minutes, Catalyst Frantically Throwing Up Stretch Goals
- Read more →
- That is exactly my intent, but I'm trying to do it in an organized manner. I may decide to not erase non-faction planets, so that we can get the posters provided sooner than later.--Rev (talk|contribs) 01:34, 11 August 2011 (UTC)
Display of maps
I've been generating maps for this page as well, although I've approached mine a little differently; I've cropped them down from the original maps to make them more readable, but I've either coloured the original states (for founding maps, where there were a lot of independent worlds out there) or I've coloured the neighbouring states, to make boundaries obvious. Is everyone happy with me uploading those here as well? My idea was to give some more options for people doing mapping and tracking work.
One thing I'd suggest for debate is the possibility of grouping sub-regions under main regions, rather than listing every sub-region in alphabetical order; that way, the section for the Lyran Commonwealth would include the Federation of Skye, Protectorate of Donegal and Tamar March as sub-sections. Does that seem sensible? BrokenMnemonic 12:16, 12 August 2011 (UTC)
- BrokenMnemonic, as the intent is to show how a faction (or region) developed over time (for the purposes of the overhaul), how it is displayed is not driven by a standard required of images used in articles. If you feel your efforts to customize these maps will make the process easier for the team members and you want to do it, then I fully support it.
- As for grouping them in a hierarchical manner (such has been done with the FC and FWL already), that seems to be the right way to do it. I see no need to open it for debate.
- Working in a behind-the-scenes project like the three of us are currently doing, as long as it is intended to stay behind the scenes, we can be a lot more bold with what we do. You're doing well. --Rev (talk|contribs) 13:57, 12 August 2011 (UTC)
- Groovy. Personally, I find partly-coloured maps to be easier to scan quickly, and while they aren't as aesthetically streamlined as the pure white cropped images Doneve's been turning, I also find them visually appealing in their own way... plus I like making them. So, expect more ;)
- On a tangential note, I don't know what the process is for some of the awards here is, but there's an award for those who generate images to improve the visual quality of the wiki; can I nominate Doneve for one? I think he's doing an amazing job producing the cropped and resized white maps. BrokenMnemonic 14:49, 12 August 2011 (UTC)
- Head on over to BattleTechWiki:Awards and identify the one you suggest fits his accomplishments. If it's an Admin award, contact an admin and nominate him, providing details that admin will need to justify the recognition. If it requires Award Committee approval, it may take a few days to get a proper response. (I think I know exactly how you'll address this, but I'm using that sage maxim as guidance: "Give a man a match, you'll warm him for a moment; douse him in kerosene first, and you'll warm him for a lifetime.")--Rev (talk|contribs) 16:16, 12 August 2011 (UTC)