Behemoth II Heavy Tank
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For August 2020
- MechWarrior 5 DLC, Heroes Of The Inner Sphere, Previewed In Podcasts And Streams
- MechCommander Returns As a MechWarrior 5 Mod
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For July, 2020
- The Evolution Of Long-Range Missiles In BattleTech, or Why You Should Shut Up And Love The LRM-5
- Read more →
|Behemoth II Heavy Tank|
|Mission||Frontline Combat Vehicle, Fire Support|
|Armor||Ferro Fibrous Armor|
|Engine||Vlar 300 XL|
|Communications System||Olmstead 44|
|Targeting Tracking System||Omicron VIII|
The Behemoth II Heavy Tank designed in 3102, which was a vehicle utilized by military forces in the 3100s. A product of Aldis Industries, the company heavily marketed the Behemoth II to worlds whom were not necessarily looking for another combat vehicle. The company would end up gifting vehicles to reluctant military commands between 3108 to 3110 in order to promote the vehicle. The efforts would prove to be successful, Sales suddenly skyrocketed with twice as many tanks being sold than they had gifted away.
The tank gained a reputation to be feared among MechWarriors during the Victoria War. Among some noted actions using the vehicle, was in 3117, when elements of the 4th Oriente Hussars encountered a platoon of 4 Behemoth II tanks used to help defend the Capellan world of Shuen Wan during a raid. The Capellan defenders utilized the tank's capacities to hold the high deserts plateau where they encountered the Hussars. The Behemoth IIs proved to be resilient in combat and remained operational throughout the fight, forcing the Hussars to withdraw.
Weapons and Equipment
All of the Tank's weaponry are mounted in its turret. The vehicle is armed mostly with long range weaponry comprised of a single Gauss Rifle and eight Thunderbolt 5 missile launchers, but is also equipped with four Rocket Launcher 10s to defend itself, should the enemy close in on its position.
The vehicle is powered by a Vlar 300 rated Extra-Light Fusion Engine, to allow it to move at 50 kph, and allow it to carry its extensive amount of weaponry and its 10.5 tons of ferro-fibrous armor.
- Support Variant
- This variant keeps the Gauss Rifle with two tons of ammunition, but exchanges the rest of the weaponry for a co-axially mounted ER Large Laser, a pair of LRM 20 launchers with four tons of ammunition and a pair of SRM 4 launchers with one ton of ammunition for close-range defense.BV (2.0)= 1,781
The Behemoth II was originally created for WizKids's MWDA gameline. The vehicle's name was originally produced as Behemoth II Tank for the original release's all factions. Though a general use miniature, a single tank was made into unique, based on dossier of Derrk Nova Cat. The dossier supplied the first background information for this unit, prior to Catalyst Game Labs producing their own rendition of the vehicle when the franchise advanced to Dark Age era.
In dossier from the MechWarrior Dark Age Collectable game, the Behemoth II was listed that vehicle's plans were conceived in 3097. The vehicle's Support Variant was original the base model for the tank to appear in print.
- MUL online date for the Behemoth II Heavy Tank
- Record Sheets: MechWarrior Dark Age I, p. 27, "Behemoth II"
- Technical Readout: 3145 Capellan Confederation, p.24-25, "Behemoth II Heavy Tank"
- Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 82
- Technical Readout: 3145 Capellan Confederation, p. 24 Behemoth II Heavy Tank - Background and information on the Behemoth II.
- Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 83
- Spirit Cats Dekker Nova Cat's Dossier - Commentary: Fluff in dossier says Behemoth II was conceived century and half after the original Behemoth was created, which was 2947. The Dossier also features what would become the Support Variant's stats before the base model was introduced into the regular BattleTech game.