- Community Outreach - The Robert N. Charrette Collection
- New Heavy Metal Trailer For HBS’ BattleTech Reveals New ‘Mech: The Bull Shark
- You Can Now Play MechWarrior 2 And MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries On Your Browser... Sort Of
- Talking BattleTech Fiction with Philip A. Lee
- Community Outreach - Tex Talks BattleTech
- Read more →
|Mech type||Inner Sphere BattleMech|
|Armor||Wall Type 6 Ferro-Fibrous|
|Engine||GM 270 XL|
|Communications System||Dash 2 Standard|
|Targeting Tracking System||Blade 12 w/Beagle Active Probe and TAG|
|Heat Sinks||12 Double Heat Sinks|
|Speed||97.2 km/h (129.6 km/h with MASC)|
|Jump Jets||Odin Type II|
Named after the hero of the epic by the same name, the Beowulf BattleMech was designed to act as a replacement for Mongoose reconnaissance 'Mechs that ComStar lost access to when Terra fell to the Word of Blake. The Beowulf weighs almost twice as much as the 'Mech it replaces, allowing it to carry a heavier weapons payload and more armor. The Beowulf has a MASC augmented top speed of 129.6 km/h that allows it to keep up with most light 'Mechs. To traverse rough terrain, the Beowulf has six Odin Type II jump jets that allow it to jump up to one hundred and eighty meters. To save weight on the 'Mech and still allow for high speeds, the Beowulf is powered by a GM 270 XL engine that weighs half as much as a standard fusion engine. For protection from enemy fire, the Beowulf carries eight and a half tons of Wall Type 6 Ferro-Fibrous armor.
Weapons and Equipment
The primary weapon on the Beowulf is a highly accurate Blankenburg Large Pulse Laser. This is supported by two Diverse Optics Type ER Medium Lasers. To make it easier for the 'Mech to hunt down its targets, the Beowulf has a Cyclops-Beagle Active Probe and also a Garret Mole TAG target designator that allows the 'Mech to designate targets for Arrow IV artillery attacks.
- An Advanced Tech variant of the Beowulf introduced during the Jihad, its weapon system has been revised with the era's newest weaponry. The Large Pulse Laser is dropped for a pair of Medium Variable Speed Lasers in the left arm, and its long-range fire power is reduced by removing one of the ER Medium Lasers. To increase its close combat capabilities, it mounts a pair of ER Small Lasers, with a single standard Small Laser and a 'Mech Sword fitted to the right arm. Triple Strength Myomer replaces the Beowulf's MASC, to give a slightly slower, but less riskier means of achieving higher speeds. To aid in reaching the heat levels needed for the strengthened myomers to activate, a pair of double heat sinks were also removed. The Beowulf also features a C3 Slave Unit. BV (1.0) = ??, BV (2.0) = 1,319
- This Beowulf variant uses Experimental Technology like a Composite Structure and Stealth Armor. It upgrades the electronics suite to an Angel ECM and Bloodhound Active Probe that have been armored. The TAG and MASC systems remain, but the jump jets have been replaced by seven Improved Jump Jets. A Full-Head Ejection System is also fitted to protect the pilot. To make room for all this equipment, the cockpit was replaced by a Small Cockpit and the 'Mech only carries a pair of ER Medium Lasers in each arm for weaponry.
- Mongoose - The Beowulf BattleMech was designed as a better armed/armored replacement for destroyed Mongoose BattleMechs.
- Mongoose II - Both the Beowulf and the Mongoose II are 40-ton upgraded versions of the Star League-era Mongoose scout BattleMech.
- Beowulf IIC - After receiving extensive access to Clan-tech following Clan Ghost Bear's merger with the Republic during the Jihad, Odin developed a more expensive Clan-grade version of the ComStar designed original for Dominion's touman to help increase their profit margin.
- Technical Readout: 3060, pp. 88-89, "Beowulf 'Mech Profile"
- MUL online date for the Beowulf (BattleMech)
- Combat Operations, p. 123
- Record Sheets: 3060, p. 110
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 127
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 127
- Experimental Technical Readout: ComStar, p. 3
- Technical Readout: 3075, p. 72
- Technical Readout: Prototypes, p. 144 "Beowulf IIC"
- BattleMech Manual, p. 90 Design Quirk Table - Beowulf Entry.