|Also known as||Benjamin Emory|
|Affiliation|| Word of Blake|
|Children|| Jeremiah Emory|
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Character History
- 3 Family
- 4 Titles and Ranks
- 5 Notes
- 6 References
- 7 Bibliography
Early life and ComStar career
Emory fought with the ComGuard's Sixth Division in the battle of Devil's Bath in 3052 against Clan Steel Viper's First Steel Viper Guard. After the conflict, he developed a deep-seated hatred of the Clans. His experience in the battle improved his military education and he became an expert at Combined Arms tactics. Emory later went on to join ComStar's ROM as a member of their special operations team, Blake's Wrath. By 3057, he had become the head instructor of the Wrath's training group.
In service of Word of Blake prior to the Jihad
He was in command of the ROM training compound in the Terran city of Cairo, when Operation ODYSSEUS began. Emory surrendered his command to elements of the 2nd Division of the Word of Blake and swore loyalty to them and Terra. He and his staff were interrogated for a period of six months, after which they given places in Blake's own special operation forces in their version of ROM, Light of Mankind. Emory chose to remain an instructor for the Light of Mankind. His students were among the best to graduate and led to many of his pupils being placed in the special operations groups Venatori and Opacus.
The Jihad and Ascendance to Manei Domini
When the Jihad erupted, Emory was called to action and commanded a number of special operations against worlds in the Chaos March. These operations helped solidify the Word of Blake control in what would later be the Word of Blake Protectorate. Among his actions was a strike against the planetary governor of Keid in April 3068. He and other members of his Light of Mankind team conducted a HALO drop in Purifier Battle Armor onto the planet. Emory was injured during the operation and during his hospitalization received cybernetic replacements and enhancements, becoming one of the Manei Domini.
Precentor Apollyon requested Emory train new Manei Domini troops on Circinus. By 3069, he was promoted to Precentor in command of the newly combined special operation group Opacus Venatori. During this period he was taken under Apollyon's wing and elevated to the highest rank of the Manei warriors.
Clash with the Bounty Hunter
In 3072, Berith was in pursuit of Victoria Parrdeau and her journal. Pursuing her to the world of Dalton in the Free Worlds League, he discovered that he was not alone in seeking her. Using Irian Corporate Security as a means to his search, he discovered an apparently compromised safe house. Berith discovers his prey is gone, but he then quickly pickup team member of the legendary mercenary, the Bounty Hunter from residue from crime scene. He then interrogates him and implants him with tracking device to follow him to the Bounty Hunter.
Beirth finds that the Bounty Hunter has taken a Irian Luxury AirShip, the Wind Dancer. Beirth quickly acquires a stunt plane and pursues the Hunter. He quickly jumps from the plane, meets up with the Hunter. They face off in one of the Wind Dancer's bar area. There Berith uses his cybernetics to gain upper hand, while taunting the Bounty Hunter. In midst of the fight, he notices a women's satchel get strapped around the Bounty Hunter's signature green armor. However, despite his edge, the Hunter manages to stay one step ahead of him. After emptying their guns, they grapple each other various in martial techniques. Ultimately, Berith is out maneuvered as explosions began go off, the Hunter lunges forward; activating his Jump Pack. Berith tries to stop him from escaping, but blacks out from magnetic pulse grenades that the Bounty Hunter had dropped as he left. After his cybernetic electronics recovers, he finds the Airship rapidly descending in pieces as explosions ring out around the ship. Falling at more than three kilometers, with no escape devices available, Berith jumps to the safety of nearby rock formations that the ship was about to crash into.
On the 30th of April 3078 it was revealed by Colonel Marcel Webb - Commanding Officer of the Star Seeds mercenary unit and head of security for the allied coalition - in a news broadcast from Kittery that the allied coalition was filing criminal charges on behalf of all the allied nations against a number of senior Word of Blake senior or high profile figures, including Berith. The coalition intended to charge Berith with treason, espionage, terrorism, murder, and genocide under his original name, Benjamin Emory.
He succeeded Apollyon as supreme leader of the Manei Domini in the later years of the Jihad. He was seen for the last time on planet Devil's Rock, after lead an assault force to kill the ComStar agent Tempest Stryker. No further sightings of Berith were reported.
While still Benjamin Emory, Berith was married to Rianne, whom he met on Solaris VII. Later, they had two children: a son Jeremiah, and a daughter Alyssa. His young daughter later died of cancer, which led to his family going their separate ways.
He also had a son, Precentor Alexander Emory.
Titles and Ranks
Word of Blake
- Starterbook: Wolf and Blake, p. 40 - "Berith Profile"
- Writers confirm that Berith rank was Sigma.
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents p. 6 - Just Business/1648 Hours - Berith appearance according his prisoner, Robert "John" Farrell.
- Tukayyid (scenario pack), p. 81 - Clan Steel Vipers/Situation:Devil's Bath - The unit that fought in Devil's Bath was ComStar's 6th Division.
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 81 - Berith - Early years growing up with ComStar and his actions/effects while fighting on Tukayyid.
- Dawn of the Jihad, pp. 91-92 Bringers of the Truth - Benjamin Emory writes in his journal about conducting his group's strike against Keid's government.
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 83 - Berith profile - Brief info on Berith actions during the beginning of the Jihad, and his promotion to command the Opacus Venatori.
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3072, p. 58 - The Master's Minions - Berith revealed on rebel hidden camera as being involved with extermination of the League members.
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, pp. 4-10 Short Story - Just Business - Berith encounter with the Bounty Hunter in 3072.
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers, p. 217 - Apollyon/Profile mentions of Berith promotion to second command of Manei Domini and been taking on Apollyon's responsibilities as he distracted elsewhere.
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 82, "Charges Filed"
- Interstellar Expeditions: Interstellar Players 3, p. 283
- Dawn of the Jihad, pp. 91-92 Bringers of the Truth - Benjamin Emory writes in journal mentions his family and wife's names.
- Jihad - a Soldier's Tale - Emory's daughter's death triggers himself, his wife, and son moving apart to work more actively with WoB.
- http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,28745.0.html Ask the Writers forum post.]
- Rank correction noted.