Black Python (Viper)
- This article is about the Clan 'Mech with the Inner Sphere reporting name of "Viper". For other uses of "Viper", see Viper (disambiguation).
|Manufacturer||New Kent Armorworks|
|'Mech type||Clan BattleMech|
|Chassis||Viper Endo Steel BP 2|
|Armor||Armorweave NK 62 Ferro-Fibrous|
|Engine||New Kent Model VII 375 XL|
|Targeting Tracking System||Unknown|
|Heat Sinks||13 Double Heat Sinks|
The Black Python, which was designated the Viper by Inner Sphere forces, is similar in many ways to the Warhammer and Marauder BattleMechs. Though it is faster than those heavies, it has a similar weapons loadout with comparable damage, albeit with much more accurate damage potential. In order to achieve this, this expensive second-line 'Mech avails itself of all weight saving technologies that were at the disposal of the Clans, including an XL engine, Endo Steel frame, and eleven tons of ferro-fibrous armor. In addition to its speed, the Black Python mounts five jump jets that propel it up to 150 meters at a time.
In the thirty-second century, the Raven Alliance restarted production of the Black Python, renaming it the White Raven. The White Raven was one of the first production BattleMechs to use Ferro-Lamellor armor.
Weapons and Equipment
The paired Large and Lambda Medium Pulse Lasers provide highly accurate firepower at ranges that are possible to close in on thanks to the 'Mech's speed. Four Chi Series Small Pulse Lasers and two Series XIb Machine Guns provide more firepower at close range while also able to annihilate unarmored infantry that stray too close. All of the lasers are made even more accurate by the inclusion of a Targeting Computer. Thirteen double heat sinks keep heat levels in check.
- Black Python 2
- This variant removes the large and medium lasers and replaces them with an Ultra Autocannon/2, two ER Large Lasers, an additional Small Pulse Laser, and an ECM Suite. This configuration allows the Black Python to provide effective direct-fire support. BV (1.0) = 2,131, BV (2.0)=2,520
- Black Python 3
- A substantial redesign by Clan Steel Viper that changed the outward appearance of the Black Python. This model removes the large lasers of the original and replaces them with a pair of Omega Heavy Large Lasers. One jump jet is removed, lowering the 'Mech's jumping capacity to 120 meters. The added heat of the heavy lasers necessitated the inclusion of four additional double heat sinks. Even with that, enough tonnage was freed up to add another ton of armor. BV (1.0) = 2,201, BV (2.0)= 2,421
- Black Python 4
- This variant of the 3 removes the Machine Guns and replaces them with an ER Medium Laser. This makes the design more effective against hardened targets and eliminates any ammo dependency, but makes the 'Mech slightly more vulnerable to infantry. BV (1.0) = 2,318, BV (2.0)= 2,594
- Black Python 5
- This variant was introduced by Clan Steel Viper. It replaces the traditional weaponry with a pair of ER PPCs, a Gauss rifle, and two Machine Guns. BV (2.0) = 2,925
- White Raven
- The first White Raven keeps the same skeleton, engine, and jump capabilities of the Black Python, but is protected by fourteen and a half tons of Ferro-Lamellor armor. The weapons kit has also been updated. Two ER Large Lasers, two Medium Pulse Lasers, four ER Small Lasers, and two AP Gauss Rifles are present; All of these are tied into a Targeting Computer. Sixteen double heat sinks are installed as well. BV (2.0) = 2,941
- White Raven 2
- The White Raven 2 uses more advanced technology. An XXL engine maintains the top ground speed of 86 km/h, and eight Improved Jump Jets allow the 'Mech to cover 240 meters per jump. Like the White Raven it carries a Targeting Computer for its weapons. The armament includes two ER Small Lasers in each arm, a Large Pulse Laser in each side torso, and two Medium Pulse Lasers in the center torso. Ten double heat sinks are equipped. This variant, unlike the other White Raven, is protected by standard armor instead of Ferro-Lamellor. BV (2.0) = 2,703
The Black Python has the following Design Quirk:
- In German products, the unit's proper Clan name was translated to Schwarzpython. The unit's proper Inner Sphere name was altered to Kobra, which means Cobra.
White Raven from RG:ilClan v12
Black Python 3 from TRO:3055 Upgrade
Black Python in combat from CCG
- ↑ MUL online date for the Black Python (Viper)
- ↑ Combat Operations, p. 109
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 199
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Technical Readout: 3055, pp. 126-127, "Viper OmniMech Profile"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Technical Readout: 3055 Revised, pp. 110-111, "Viper OmniMech Profile"
- ↑ Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 12, p. 10
- ↑ Combat Operations, p. 119
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3060, p. 199
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 200
- ↑ Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 12, p. 36
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3055 Upgrade, p. 119, "Viper 3 Profile"
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 201
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 202
- ↑ Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 12, p. 37
- ↑ Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 12, p. 38
- ↑ Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 12, p. 39
- ↑ BattleMech Manual, p. 95 Design Quirk Table - Black Python (Viper) Entry.