|Manufacturer||WC Site 1|
|'Mech type||Clan BattleMech|
|Chassis||Type AR1 endo steel|
|Engine||Light Force 280 XL engine|
|Communications System||HWLR Designation ComSys|
|Targeting Tracking System||Hunter (7) Dedicated TTS|
|Heat Sinks||10 double heat sinks|
Originally conceived as a testbed for a future OmniMech, the Arctic Wolf BattleMech was produced on Arc-Royal by Clan Wolf-in-Exile to both bolster the Clan's touman and work out the kinks in production of its OmniPod at the same time. Like the Pack Hunter, some materials used in the design were obtained from the Kell Hounds, though the design is Clan-tech in every way that matters. This fast medium 'Mech is designed to close quickly and unleash over 40 short-range missiles at an opponent before withdrawing just as quickly.
The Arctic Wolf would continue to see use by the Spheroid-based Clans after their separation from the Clan Homeworlds in 3075. In the eyes of the Home Clans, the design was considered "tainted" and what few remained in Clan Space, were dismantled as a result.
Weapons and Equipment
The design of the Arctic Wolf is simple: get close, unleash a torrent of missiles, and get out. To do this, it is armed with six Type 1 SRM-6 launchers and two Type 1 Cross-Pattern SRM-4 launchers. Aiding the accuracy of these missiles is the Tracker Series Narc missile beacon. The Arctic Wolf carries an impressive four tons of ammunition for its launchers. The 'Mech is protected by six tons of standard armor, and has 10 double heat sinks which can be overwhelmed, but only if a MechWarrior insists on staying in the fight or going full tilt for long periods.
Finally introduced in the lead-up to the Jihad, the OmniMech version of the 'Mech is a refinement of the design. While retaining the endo steel chassis and 10 double heat sinks, the Omni version is now clad in ferro-fibrous armor for increased armor protection. To increase pod space it is equipped with a smaller engine, making it slower than its parent design with a maximum speed of 90 km/h. Due to various problems, production of the OmniMech version ceased in 3074 in favor of the completely new and redesigned OmniMech, the Arctic Wolf II.
- Alternate Configuration A
- Also introduced in the 3060s, this configuration is principally armed with a pair of shoulder mounted LRM-15 launchers with four tons ammunition. For close-range fighting, the 'Mech utilizes a pair of SRM-6 launchers with an accompanying small pulse laser in each arm. For added protection, the 'Mech is fitted with an ECM suite. BV (2.0) = 1,587
- Alternate Configuration J
- Created during the Jihad, this configuration's main weapon is a plasma cannon provided with one ton of ammunition. Backing it up are four Streak SRM-4 launchers in the arms and shoulders, as well as a single heavy medium laser in its left arm. As with the A configuration, the Arctic Wolf also has an ECM suite fitted in the right shoulder to add to its protection from sophisticated weaponry, and improves its scouting ability with an active probe as well. Finally, four jump jets boost mobility. BV (2.0) = 1,786
These variants presented here were introduced in MechWarrior Online, and thus far have not appeared in any canonical media.
- Alternate configuration P of the Arctic Wolf OmniMech features an ER large laser and ER medium laser in left arm and paired ER medium lasers in the right arm, supported by twin Streak SRM-4s in the left torso and two ER small lasers in right torso. Two tons of Streak reloads and five extra double heat sinks keep the Arctic Wolf P in battle.
- ACW-BK Blood Kit
- A customized variant of the standard Arctic Wolf, the Blood Kit carries an ER large laser and ER medium laser each arm, supported by a heavy machine gun in each side torso and a center torso mounted Streak SRM-6 launcher. Mounting four jump jets, the Blood Kit carries an extra double heat sink and single ton of ammunition for each weapon type.
- The Arctic Wolf OmniMech was later used as the basis for the Arctic Wolf II.
- In German products, the unit's proper Clan name was translated to Polarwolf.
Original Arctic Wolf from TRO:3060
Model of Arctic Wolf from MW4:Vengeance
Model of Arctic Wolf from MWO
- MUL online date for the Arctic Wolf
- Combat Operations, p. 119
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 222
- The Wars of Reaving Supplemental p.17
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, pp. 224-226 - Arctic Wolf Prime - design shown to be OmniMech design mention in original fluff.
- Technical Readout: 3085 Supplemental, p. 50 - info on Old OmniMech being discontinued in favor of better design.
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 224 - Arctic Wolf Prime
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 225 - A configuration A for the new Arctic Wolf OmniMech.
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 226 - Jihad era J configuration of the Arctic Wolf
- MechWarrior Online - "Civil War: Escalation Sale Page"
- BattleMech Manual, p. 90 Battlemech Quirk Table - Arctic Wolf Entry.