- The 'Mech That Looks Most Like A Turkey
- Community Outreach - How Michael Todd Met Robert N. Charrette
- Community Outreach - The Robert N. Charrette Collection
- New Heavy Metal Trailer For HBS’ BattleTech Reveals New ‘Mech: The Bull Shark
- You Can Now Play MechWarrior 2 And MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries On Your Browser... Sort Of
- Read more →
|Inner Sphere Military Ranks|
|For specific ranks see Military Ranks|
A Lieutenant General (sometimes Brigadier General) is the first of the general officer ranks in most of the Inner Sphere militaries. Typically a Lieutenant General commands multiple regiment formations, brigades, or divisions.
- 1 SLDF
- 2 Lyran Commonwealth and Lyran Alliance
- 3 Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery
- 4 Armed Forces of the Federated Suns
- 5 Capellan Confederation Armed Forces
- 6 Free Worlds League Military
- 7 The Clans
- 8 Comstar/Word of Blake
- 9 Periphery Powers
- 10 References
- 11 Bibliography
In the SLDF a Lieutenant General commanded Regimental Combat Teams and Brigades. On occasion, an extremely skilled Lieutenant General would command a Division. Lieutenant Generals in the SLDF needed excellent administrative and strategic command skills since they commanded so many troops. A Lieutenant General wore a single three dimensional star as insignia.
Lyran Commonwealth and Lyran Alliance
In the LCAF a Leutnant-General was an aide to one of the Military District commanders. They were responsible for overseeing the support, garrison, and reserve units in their District.
Leutnant-General was also the lowest rank that an officer could assume command of an entire LCAF service branch, like Military Intelligence, Quartermaster Corps, or the Strategy and Tactics Division.
The equivalent rank in the Alliance Navy is Leutnant-Kommodore.
Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery
In the DCMS a Lieutenant General is known as a Sho-sho, which is sometimes translated to Brigadier General. The corresponding naval rank used by the Draconis Combine Admiralty is Cho-sho or Commodore.
|Rank||MechWarrior||AeroSpace Fighter||Infantry||Armor||Artillery||Naval Crew|| Technical|
Armed Forces of the Federated Suns
A high officer rank in the AFFS, the use of "Leftenant" is unique to the AFFS. Leftenant General was created in 2953 in order to differentiate between field and administrative staffs. Later, they commanded brigades of infantry and armored vehicles.
During the Federated Commonwealth's existence, Leftenant General was the equivalent of Colonel, despite the latter rank already existing in both the Federated and Lyran militaries.
AFFS officers used epaulettes with two broad bands and one narrow band across the base as their rank insignia. This insignia is also used by the AFFS Navy for Rear Admirals.
|Rank||MechWarrior||AeroSpace Fighter||Infantry||Armor||Naval Crew|| Technical
|Administrative||Medical||Legal|| Logistics/ |
| Leftenant General
Capellan Confederation Armed Forces
This rank is not used by the CCAF.
Free Worlds League Military
This rank isn't used in the FWLM. Prior to the secession of the Duchy of Andurien, the rank of Lieutenant General was primarily a political ranking. In the Duchy, the Oath Edict of 2914 allowed any prominent landowner to become a general regardless of previous military experience. These political appointees almost never took the field, and the vast majority never reached the rank of Major General. 
After Thomas Marik's military reforms, the rank was eliminated completely.
Comstar/Word of Blake
Taurian Defense Force
In the Taurian Defense Force, a Comptroller commands a 'Mech regiment with permanently assigned conventional supporting forces, or among conventional forces commands a multi-world military district. Comptrollers also serve as administrative aides to Marshals. In the TDF Navy this rank is known as Commodore and is in command of a demi-squadron of naval vessels.
Their rank insignia consists of a stylized Taurian bull head created from a gold ring with two "horns" on either side.
In the Hanseatic League, each Regional Defense Forces unit is commanded by a Captain-General, a post which is both mercantile and martial in nature. There are seven Captain-General, each in charge of a Regional Defense Forces and one for the Reserve Fleet. Funding for Hanseatic units is uncertain, but Captain-Generals generally receive a percentage (or tithe) of the profits made by merchants operating within their jurisdiction. Effectively Hanseatic units (and their commanding officers) can be "starved" out of existence in response to offenses, but at the danger of leaving Hanseatic territory ungarrisoned.
- The Star League, p. 112, "Lieutenant General"
- Field Manual: ComStar
- The Star League, p. 112, "Lieutenant General"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 119
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 126, "Leftenant General"
- Field Manual: Federated Suns, p. 28
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 86, "General"
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League
- The Periphery, pg. 74
- Field Manual: Periphery, p. 54
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 112
- Field Manual: Periphery, p. 135-136, "Structure"
- Field Manual: Periphery, p. 14 "Periphery Comparative Rank Table"