Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
Bryant neighboring systems
|X:Y Coordinates||13.177 : -13.229[e]|
- 1 Bryant
- 2 Bryant IV
- 2.1 Planetary History
- 2.2 Political Affiliation
- 2.3 Planetary Rulers
- 2.4 Military Deployment
- 2.5 Geography
- 2.6 Planetary Locations
- 2.7 Industrial Centers
- 2.8 Local Fauna
- 2.9 Nearby Systems
- 2.10 References
- 2.11 Bibliography
View of Bryant from orbit
| Jump point
|Moons||3 (Jarra, Sennu and Summersdale)|
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Highest native life||Mammals|
|Ruler|| Governor Trent Hawsel-George (3130)|
Planetary Legate Becca Jareque (3130)
|Population|| 23,500,000 (2750)|
63,000 (3025)
Bryant IV - more commonly known simply as Bryant - fourth of five planets in the Bryant system. Bryant has three moons named Jarra, Sennu and Summersdale.
Settled during the twenty-second century], Bryant was one of the worlds that remained a part of the Terran Alliance following the Outer Reaches Rebellion and the Demarcation Declaration of 2242, and became one of the worlds within the Alliance Core region of the Terran Hegemony.
During the first two centuries after its initial colonization, Bryant was a hostile world, with colonists confined to the planet's polar regions. That all changed in 2478, when the Terran Hegemony placed Storm Inhibitors in orbit of the planet. The massive storms that once swept across the planet's surface disappeared, and with the ability to now safely farm in warmer climates the people of Bryant turned their world into a major agricultural center. Tourism flourished and many exotic species, such as Jewel Bass and Crowley Lizard Cow, became delicacies.
Amaris Civil War
When Stefan Amaris launched his coup on the 27th of December 2766 on Terra his forces also swung into action on all of the other worlds within the Terran Hegemony and a number of jointly-administered worlds. This included Bryant; when the Rim Worlds Republic forces arrived to conquer Bryant the primary defenders were the SLDF Engineering Corps personnel on the world. The Engineer Corps staff operated a network of orbital mirrors referred to as Storm Inhibitors, which during peacetime focused sunlight from Bryant's sun onto areas of the upper atmosphere to disperse incipient storm formations. With Bryant under attack, this Storm Inhibitor Array became a vital part of the planetary defense, with the SLDF forces targeting the energy from the various Inhibitors against DropShips and WarShips; the sensors on numerous vessels were overloaded and their systems overheated, resulting in numerous DropShips crashing and two WarShips taking damage. The SLDF also targeted the mirrors against Republican forces on the ground, preventing them from moving for several days. Unfortunately, this was not enough; the Republican forces quickly launched attacks against the Inhibitors using AeroSpace Fighters and assault ships, and the various Inhibitors were unable to reposition and refocus quickly enough to defend against all of the attackers. With the mirrors quickly falling prey to the Republican attacks the main means of defense for the planetary garrison vanished and the Republican forces were able to assume control of Bryant by the end of the first week of January 2767.
Unfortunately, during the Amaris Civil War, Republican forces used the Inhibitors for target practice. With the satellites gone, the planet's climate turned hostile once again, forcing the populace to flee to back to the poles. Their abandoned cities became home only to adventurous ComStar researchers searching for any surviving lostech.
Bryant was occupied by the Capellan Confederation for much of the Succession Wars, and the Capellan government used Bryant as a prison planet for several decades prior to the Fourth Succession War.
Fourth Succession War
Following negotiations between Colonel Pavel Ridzik, chief military advisor to Chancellor Maximilian Liao, and AFFS Lieutenant General Ardan Sortek, conducted in February 3029 Ridzik created a new nation, the Tikonov Free Republic. The Republic was created by incorporating those worlds of the Tikonov Commonality that hadn't already been conquered during the first half of the Fourth Succession War. Ridzik returned to Elgin, the new capital of the Tikonov Free Republic, on the 3rd of March 3029 and swiftly began implementing a new government consisting of family members, friends and other appointees loyal to himself, purging dissident elements on the various Republic worlds and taking the opportunity to settle old scores. Bryant was one of the systems incorporated into the Republic.
During the Jihad the Word of Blake established a new Space Defense System around Bryant. This proved to be a nasty surprise for the attacking Coalition forces in March 3078. The Bastion and Capitol space stations made short work of the WarShip group commanded by Star Admiral Erik Devalis of Clan Nova Cat. The Nova Cats lost two WarShips as they braved the SDS network, the Vincent Mk 42-class corvette NCS Spirit Vision and the much larger Black Lion-class battlecruiser NCS Severen Leroux. The first layer of defenses within the Bryant system, Bastion and Capitol class space stations, claimed one of the attached assault DropShips almost as soon as the fleet arrived; Star Admiral Devalis ordered the Aegis-class NCS Chronicle to defend the transport DropShips transporting the ground forces, while the Severen Leroux and the Spirit Vision and half the AeroSpace Fighters attached to the attack group attempted to screen the forces burning towards the planet from the SDS system. The swarming drones that formed a part of the SDS network destroyed the Spirit Vision relatively early in the engagement, but the Severen Leroux managed to destroy all of the defensive space stations within the system before succumbing.
Once the Coalition forces landed, the ground fighting inflicted massive damage on the world. A broadcast from the Federated Suns war correspondent Peter Remonde in early April 3078 highlighted just how much damage had been done, both by the attacking forces and by the Blakist defense of Bryant. The Blakist defenders fought hard and then dispersed into a resistance organization. Even two months after declaring Bryant freed the fighting continued. In fact, within an hour of the declaration of freedom, a battalion of 'Mechs and a regiment of infantry troops were killed. Estimates indicated that repairing the damage to the world would likely take decades.
On the 16th of September 3081 elements of the retreating 49th Shadow Division were engaged by forces from the Republic of the Sphere, Gannon's Cannons and a Blake's Wrath special forces team, in the city of the Sacredot on Bryant. The Republican forces were acting on intelligence indicating that the notorious Blakist Precentor Berith was with the forces from the 49th, intelligence which proved to be false, although an informant with useful information was able to escape from the Blakist forces during the combat. Intelligence subsequently indicated that Bryant may have been the site of part of an organized escape route for retreating Blakist forces.
During the Dark Age, only a few towns remain on Bryant, all of which stand on the northern continent of Zephyrim. There, a three-to-four-month long "Calm Season" has allowed for enough agriculture to sustain what remains of the local population, including several transient settlements that have come and gone since the closing years of the Succession Wars. Though the last official census puts Bryant at a mere fifty-two thousand permanent inhabitants, many suspect that the vast, unclaimed expanses of the world hold several undocumented cities and towns, who simply remain isolated from the "official" townships arrayed in vast, coastal counties (possibly for tax purposes).
- 2271 - Terran Alliance 
- 2319 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2341 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2366 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2571 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2596 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2750 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2765 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2767 - Amaris Empire 
- 2771 - Amaris Empire 
- 2774 - Amaris Empire 
- 2822 - Capellan Confederation 
- 2864 - Capellan Confederation 
- 3025 - Capellan Confederation 
- 3029 - Tikonov Free Republic (from March)
- 3030 - Tikonov Free Republic 
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3050 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3052 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3057 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3058 - Chaos March 
- 3062 - Chaos March 
- 3063 - Chaos March 
- 3067 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3130 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3145 - Republic of the Sphere 
- Eighty-seventh Division
Bryant has four continents. The larger continents are named Tomainisia and Voltanasia and are located on Bryant's equator, while the smaller continents of Altario and Zephyrim are located at the north and south poles respectively.
- Apopka: Location of Lantern Developmental Labratories.
- Brein: the planetary capital after the Star League era, located on Zephyrim. Once a bustling metropolis of a quarter million during the Star League days, Brein has undergone a sharp decline over the centuries, and now claims only nine-thousand permanent residents. This reduction is most evident when one looks at Brein from the air, where three concentric circles—the city’s wind-breaker walls. Fewer buildings stand in the outer rings, with most serving today as way stations and municipal facilities. The outer-most circle, in fact, has been entirely given over to agricultural use, creating a vast, city-owned farmland and pasture, with only cracked roadways and a few older structures left as a testament to the planet’s booming Star League years.
- Bryant Vocational Academy: Located in Brein, it is a remarkably advanced school that has taught entire generations of the planet’s residents in everything from philosophy and law to manufacturing and agriculture.
- Cassina: The Hegemony-era capital city, abandoned to the elements when the planetary environment reverted to its stormy, unstable state. Shorty after 2767 the capital was vacated, and now stands only as a flooded ruin in the marshlands of the northern Altario continent.
- Sacredot: A city which saw the a huge fight during the Jihad between forces of the Republic of the Sphere and retreating WoB forces.
- Dark Age Republic Worlds (3130), p. 231, "Bryant"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere - 3145"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 16, "Free Worlds League Founding ["
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere - 2596"
- The Star League, p. 170
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 80, "Cometh Hell's Legions"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 84-85, "Atrocities And Excesses"
- The Star League, p. 170
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, p. 16-17, "Tikonov Free Republic"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 72, "Dire Straits"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 58, "The Jihad in Review"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 72, "Reclamation Ideals"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 73
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 77-78, "Chaos Undaunted: Storm Shadow"
- War of the Tripods
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 18, "Draconis Combine Founding - 2319"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 13, "Lyran Commonwealth Founding "
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 17, "Capellan Confederation Foundation "
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 18, "Rim Worlds Republic after Age of War "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 25, "Lyran Commonwealth after Age of War "
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 25, "Capellan Confederation after Age of War -  Map"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere - 2750"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 2765"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 138, "Operation LIBERATION Wave 1 [July 2772 - December 2774]"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 31, "Capellan Confederation after First Succession War - [2822 Map]"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 122-123, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 112-113, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 39, "Capellan Confederation after Second Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 40, "Capellan Confederation after Third Succession War -  Map"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, p. 16, "Tikonov Commonality (Map)"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, p. 94, "End Of The War"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 49, "Capellan Confederation after Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere - 3040"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 3050"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 23, "Inner Sphere - April 3052"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - August 3057"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 60, "Capellan Confederation after Operation Guerrero -  Map"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, "Inner Sphere - July 3063"
- Mercenaries Supplemental, p. 69, "Mercenary Employment Table"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 68, "Capellan Confederation after FedCom Civil War -  Map"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 43, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- 20 Year Update, p. 70, "Com Guards Deployment Table"
- ComStar (sourcebook), p. 85, "Com Guards Deployment Table"
- Chaos March, p. 29
- Field Manual: ComStar, p. 126, "ComGuard Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 99, "Word of Blake Militia Deployment Table"
- What's in a Name?
- Technical Readout: 3039, p. 84, "Von Luckner Profile"
- Technical Readout: 3039, p. 150, "Grasshopper Profile"
- 20 Year Update
- ComStar (sourcebook)
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130)
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: ComStar
- Field Manual: Updates
- First Succession War
- Handbook: House Kurita
- Handbook: House Liao
- Handbook: House Marik
- Handbook: House Steiner
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Mercenaries Supplemental
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2
- Technical Readout: 3039
- The Star League
- What's in a Name? (Short Story)