Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
Bryant nearby systems
|X:Y Coordinates||13.177 : -13.229[e]|
|Recharge station(s)||2 (zenith and nadir jump points)|
- 1 Bryant
- 2 Bryant IV
- 2.1 Planetary History
- 2.2 Political Affiliation
- 2.3 Planetary Rulers
- 2.4 Military Deployment
- 2.5 Geography
- 2.6 Planetary Locations
- 2.7 Industrial Centers
- 2.8 Local Fauna
- 2.9 Map Gallery
- 2.10 Nearby Systems
- 2.11 References
- 2.12 Bibliography
The three planets inward of Bryant are little more than airless rocks each roughly half the size of Terra, with two of them tide-locked. Bryant orbits his sun at 1.45 AU's. The single planet outward from Bryant is a small gas giant, which has an eccentric orbit that varies from 6 to 10 AU's distance from its parent star, while Bryant itself and its inner companions follow more or less regular orbital paths.
View of Bryant from orbit
|Moons||3 (Jarra, Sennu and Summersdale)|
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Highest native life||Mammals|
|Ruler||Becca Jareque, Governor (3130)|
Trent Hawsel-George, Legate (3130)
First Citizen of the Bryant Planetary Council Elizabeth Welles (3136 - 3138)
Carl Phillips, Acting Legate (3138)
|Population||23,500,000 (2750)|
63,000 (3025)
Circa 52,000 (3138)
Bryant IV - more commonly known simply as Bryant - fourth of five planets in the Bryant system. Bryant has three moons named Jarra, Sennu and Summersdale.
In the night sky, Sennu and Summersdale tend to be easily visible, even on partly cloudy days, while the distant and obviously smaller Jarra peeking out from behind Sennu during exotic intervals. Sennu and Summersdale are excellent reflectors of their sun's light, but Jarra's darker, charcoal hue has a much more muted effect on the night sky. On clear days, Bryant's lunar bodies ensure that the planet never suffers from total darkness, except perhaps at the extreme poles. Only the heavier cloud cover that typifies the majority of the planet's climate can cut off the lunar glow entirely.
Settled during the twenty-second century], Bryant was one of the worlds that remained a part of the Terran Alliance following the Outer Reaches Rebellion and the Demarcation Declaration of 2242, and became one of the worlds within the Alliance Core region of the Terran Hegemony.
During the first two centuries after its initial colonization, Bryant was a hostile world, a combination of regional thermal imbalances, the pull of three larger-than-average moons, and a relative lack of large mountain ranges had combined to produce a landscape plagued by storm systems so violent that colonists confined to the planet's polar regions. That all changed in 2478, when the Terran Hegemony placed Storm Inhibitors in orbit of the planet. The massive storms that once swept across the planet's surface disappeared, and with the ability to now safely farm in warmer climates the people of Bryant turned their world into a major agricultural center. Tourism flourished and many exotic species, such as Jewel Bass and Crowley Lizard Cow, became delicacies.
Amaris Civil War
When Stefan Amaris launched his coup on the 27th of December 2766 on Terra his forces also swung into action on all of the other worlds within the Terran Hegemony and a number of jointly-administered worlds. This included Bryant; when the Rim Worlds Republic forces arrived to conquer Bryant the primary defenders were the SLDF Engineering Corps personnel on the world. The Engineer Corps staff operated a network of orbital mirrors referred to as Storm Inhibitors, which during peacetime focused sunlight from Bryant's sun onto areas of the upper atmosphere to disperse incipient storm formations. With Bryant under attack, this Storm Inhibitor Array became a vital part of the planetary defense, with the SLDF forces targeting the energy from the various Inhibitors against DropShips and WarShips; the sensors on numerous vessels were overloaded and their systems overheated, resulting in numerous DropShips crashing and two WarShips taking damage. The SLDF also targeted the mirrors against Republican forces on the ground, preventing them from moving for several days. Unfortunately, this was not enough; the Republican forces quickly launched attacks against the Inhibitors using AeroSpace Fighters and assault ships, and the various Inhibitors were unable to reposition and refocus quickly enough to defend against all of the attackers. With the mirrors quickly falling prey to the Republican attacks the main means of defense for the planetary garrison vanished and the Republican forces were able to assume control of Bryant by the end of the first week of January 2767.
Unfortunately, during the Amaris Civil War, Republican forces used the Inhibitors for target practice. With the satellites gone, the planet's climate turned hostile once again, forcing the populace to flee to back to the poles. Their abandoned cities became home only to adventurous ComStar researchers searching for any surviving lostech.
Bryant was occupied by the Capellan Confederation for much of the Succession Wars, and the Capellan government used Bryant as a prison planet for several decades prior to the Fourth Succession War.
Over the centuries, only the hardiest and most devoted residents chose to remain on Bryant, most concentrated in scattered towns on the planet's northern continent of Zephyrim. During the years periodic "Lostech Rushes" created brief spikes of visitors and local business booms, but the population continued to decline as more and more locals left the planet for better opportunities elsewhere in the Inner Sphere.
Fourth Succession War
Following negotiations between Colonel Pavel Ridzik, chief military advisor to Chancellor Maximilian Liao, and AFFS Lieutenant General Ardan Sortek, conducted in February 3029 Ridzik created a new nation, the Tikonov Free Republic. The Republic was created by incorporating those worlds of the Tikonov Commonality that hadn't already been conquered during the first half of the Fourth Succession War. Ridzik returned to Elgin, the new capital of the Tikonov Free Republic, on the 3rd of March 3029 and swiftly began implementing a new government consisting of family members, friends and other appointees loyal to himself, purging dissident elements on the various Republic worlds and taking the opportunity to settle old scores. Bryant was one of the systems incorporated into the Republic.
During the Jihad the Word of Blake established a new Space Defense System around Bryant. This proved to be a nasty surprise for the attacking Coalition forces in March 3078. The Bastion and Capitol space stations made short work of the WarShip group commanded by Star Admiral Erik Devalis of Clan Nova Cat. The Nova Cats lost two WarShips as they braved the SDS network, the Vincent Mk 42-class corvette NCS Spirit Vision and the much larger Black Lion-class battlecruiser NCS Severen Leroux. The first layer of defenses within the Bryant system, Bastion and Capitol class space stations, claimed one of the attached assault DropShips almost as soon as the fleet arrived; Star Admiral Devalis ordered the Aegis-class NCS Chronicle to defend the transport DropShips transporting the ground forces, while the Severen Leroux and the Spirit Vision and half the AeroSpace Fighters attached to the attack group attempted to screen the forces burning towards the planet from the SDS system. The swarming drones that formed a part of the SDS network destroyed the Spirit Vision relatively early in the engagement, but the Severen Leroux managed to destroy all of the defensive space stations within the system before succumbing.
Once the Coalition forces landed, the ground fighting inflicted massive damage on the world. A broadcast from the Federated Suns war correspondent Peter Remonde in early April 3078 highlighted just how much damage had been done, both by the attacking forces and by the Blakist defense of Bryant. The Blakist defenders fought hard and then dispersed into a resistance organization. Even two months after declaring Bryant freed the fighting continued. In fact, within an hour of the declaration of freedom, a battalion of 'Mechs and a regiment of infantry troops were killed. Estimates indicated that repairing the damage to the world would likely take decades.
On the 16th of September 3081 elements of the retreating 49th Shadow Division were engaged by forces from the Republic of the Sphere, Gannon's Cannons and a Blake's Wrath special forces team, in the city of the Sacredot on Bryant. The Republican forces were acting on intelligence indicating that the notorious Blakist Precentor Berith was with the forces from the 49th, intelligence which proved to be false, although an informant with useful information was able to escape from the Blakist forces during the combat. Intelligence subsequently indicated that Bryant may have been the site of part of an organized escape route for retreating Blakist forces.
During the Dark Age, only a few towns remain on Bryant, all of which stand on the northern continent of Zephyrim. There, a three-to-four-month long "Calm Season" has allowed for enough agriculture to sustain what remains of the local population, including several transient settlements that have come and gone since the closing years of the Succession Wars. Though the last official census puts Bryant at a mere fifty-two thousand permanent inhabitants, many suspect that the vast, unclaimed expanses of the world hold several undocumented cities and towns, who simply remain isolated from the "official" townships arrayed in vast, coastal counties (possibly for tax purposes). Those numbers have been calculated to be around 50 to 100 thousand undeclared locals.
The Blackout costed the planet its HPG, which became non-functional. Since then, the two recharging stations in the Bryant system and manned by small civilian crews backed by locally trained marines, not only serve mainly as recharging points and customs stations for traffic to and from the planet but also act as the designated "mail drop" for courier ships passing through, which then is redirected to he non-working HPG which acts as primary news and mail dissemination facility.
By 3136 the Bryant Planetary Militia 'Mechs, military DropShips, and aerospace fighters were shipped to Terra, and even if this alleviated the planet's economy, RAF assurances on support from nearby worlds or the world no longer being important were not much appreciated and indeed contested.
- 2271 - Terran Alliance 
- 2319 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2341 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2366 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2571 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2596 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2750 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2765 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2767 - Amaris Empire 
- 2771 - Amaris Empire 
- 2774 - Amaris Empire 
- 2822 - Capellan Confederation 
- 2864 - Capellan Confederation 
- 3025 - Capellan Confederation 
- 3029 - Tikonov Free Republic (from March)
- 3030 - Tikonov Free Republic 
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3050 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3052 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3057 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3058 - Chaos March 
- 3062 - Chaos March 
- 3063 - Chaos March 
- 3067 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3145 - Republic of the Sphere 
- Eighty-seventh Division
- Bryant Planetary Militia
- Bryant Citizens Militia after the Planetary Militia is moved to Terra.
Bryant has four continents. The larger continents are named Tomainisia and Voltanasia and are located on Bryant's equator, while the smaller continents of Zephyrim and Altario are located at the north and south poles respectively.
Zephyrim is one of the few landmasses to boast any significant mountain ranges and other storm-weakening topography, so it was blessed from the starting colonization with typically low temperature variances almost year-round, and also suffering the least of Bryant's turbulent weather patterns. Though rainstorms, hail, and the occasional tornado or hurricane are not unheard of, much of the continent's southern inlands remain quite hospitable to human life. During the local summer season (called "Calm Season" by Bryant's inhabitants), is the ideal period for growing crops. As this period is short, nearly one-third to to one-half of all residences on Bryant stand on sprawling plots of land that boast enough arable soil and grasslands for self-sustaining farms and cattle ranching.
- HartfordCo Industries - destroyed in 2840
- Lantren Corporation - destroyed in 2843
- Grovers Mill Lumber complex.
- Dark Age Republic Worlds (3130), p. 231, "Bryant"
- War of the Tripods p.19 "GAMEMASTER'S SOURCEBOOK"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere - 3145"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 16, "Free Worlds League Founding ["
- War of the Tripods p.4 "World Guide"
- Dark Age: Republic of the Sphere, p. 22 "Prefecture IX"
- War of the Tripods p.5 "Last BPM 'Mechs Bound for Terra"
- War of the Tripods p.8 "Elizabeth Welles"
- War of the Tripods p.8 "Carl Phillips"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere - 2596"
- The Star League, p. 170
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 80, "Cometh Hell's Legions"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 84-85, "Atrocities And Excesses"
- The Star League, p. 170
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, p. 16-17, "Tikonov Free Republic"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 72, "Dire Straits"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 58, "The Jihad in Review"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 72, "Reclamation Ideals"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 73
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 77-78, "Chaos Undaunted: Storm Shadow"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 18, "Draconis Combine Founding - 2319"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 13, "Lyran Commonwealth Founding "
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 17, "Capellan Confederation Foundation "
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 18, "Rim Worlds Republic after Age of War "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 25, "Lyran Commonwealth after Age of War "
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 25, "Capellan Confederation after Age of War -  Map"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere - 2750"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 2765"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 138, "Operation LIBERATION Wave 1 [July 2772 - December 2774]"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 31, "Capellan Confederation after First Succession War - [2822 Map]"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 122-123, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 112-113, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 39, "Capellan Confederation after Second Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 40, "Capellan Confederation after Third Succession War -  Map"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, p. 16, "Tikonov Commonality (Map)"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, p. 94, "End Of The War"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 49, "Capellan Confederation after Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere - 3040"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 3050"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 23, "Inner Sphere - April 3052"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - August 3057"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 60, "Capellan Confederation after Operation Guerrero -  Map"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, "Inner Sphere - July 3063"
- Mercenaries Supplemental, p. 69, "Mercenary Employment Table"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 68, "Capellan Confederation after FedCom Civil War -  Map"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 43, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- 20 Year Update, p. 70, "Com Guards Deployment Table"
- ComStar (sourcebook), p. 85, "Com Guards Deployment Table"
- Chaos March, p. 29
- Field Manual: ComStar, p. 126, "ComGuard Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 99, "Word of Blake Militia Deployment Table"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 103, "protectorate militia deployment
- War of the Tripods, p. 6 "Certificate of Service Transfer"
- What's in a Name?
- War of the Tripods, p. 14 "RISE AGAINST THE MACHINES!"
- War of the Tripods, p. 6 "North Jersey County Welcomes Exquisite Calm Season"
- Technical Readout: 3039, p. 84, "Von Luckner Profile"
- Technical Readout: 3039, p. 150, "Grasshopper Profile"
- War of the Tripods p.9 "Adventure Tracks"
- War of the Tripods
- 20 Year Update
- ComStar (sourcebook)
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130)
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: ComStar
- Field Manual: Updates
- First Succession War (Source Book)
- Handbook: House Kurita
- Handbook: House Liao
- Handbook: House Marik
- Handbook: House Steiner
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- Mercenaries Supplemental
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2
- Technical Readout: 3039
- The Star League
- What's in a Name? (Short Story)
- Dark Age: Republic of the Sphere