|Manufacturer||Majesty Metals and Manufacturing|
|Mech type||Inner Sphere BattleMech|
|Chassis||Dynastic 40 Endo Steel|
|Armor||Maximillian 42F Ferro-Fibrous with CASE|
|Communications System||FoxxCom 79|
|Targeting Tracking System||FoxxFire 222|
|Heat Sinks||10 Double Heat Sinks|
The Calliope (whose name is based on that of the ancient Terran Greek muse of poetry) was primarily designed as a garrison BattleMech for the Magistracy Armed Forces to combat infantry and vehicles. The design was also introduced to replace the aging Snake BattleMech commonly used by both the Capellan Confederation and the Magistracy of Canopus for the same role. Work on the machine began in 3124 and continued for some three years before the unveiling of the 'Mech in 3127. Although the Calliope is entirely dependent on ammunition and is rather slow compared to modern 'Mechs of its class, it has excelled in its role as an anti-infantry and anti-armor BattleMech. Majesty Metals has managed to sell these 'Mechs not only to the Magistracy's Capellan ally, but also to the Duchy of Andurien and a number of mercenary units.
Weapons and Equipment
As the Calliope is primarily meant for combating infantry and vehicles, its armament is rather limited. A right arm-mounted Ceres Arms Plasma Rifle allows this 'Mech to overheat and moderately damage its hardened opponents, and quite literally melt any other "soft" targets. Thus, this weapon poses a serious threat to infantry and battle armor, as many can be incinerated by a single shot. The Plasma Rifle does not come without drawbacks, however, and is limited to only 20 shots supplied by two tons of ammunition. A left torso-mounted Spencer Selectable 9-Tube Multi-Missile Launcher allows the pilot to fire at both long and short ranges, and is rather effective against hardened targets. This effectiveness, however, is essentially gone once the two tons of missile ammunition run out, and the Calliope pilot will have to either rely on the Plasma Rifle or the use of physical attacks to continue his/her role. The MML ammunition bays are kept safe by CASE in the left torso.
- CAL-1MAFSW Calliope Snow White
- Debuted in 3141 on the King of the Mountain Arena and piloted by Adrienne Caselotti, this variant of the Calliope packs a pair of Streak SRM-4, supported by a Clan ER PPC augmented by a PPC Capacitor and a Clan Improved Heavy Medium Laser. Intended to operate in concert with Team Magic Mirror's seven "Dwarfs" - a oversize squad of Gnome Battle Armor carried by Snow White in battle - a skin of Clan Ferro-Lamellor Armor and ten Clan Laser Heat Sinks to keep the 'Mech fighting. BV2 = 1,668.
The Calliope is subjected to the following Design Quirk:
- MUL online entry for the Calliope (BattleMech)
- Technical Readout: 3145 Capellan Confederation, p. 32
- Technical Readout: 3150, p. 136 "Medium 'Mechs - CAL-1MAF Calliope"
- Technical Readout: 3145 Capellan Confederation, p. 33
- Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 91
- Experimental Technical Readout: Royal Fantasy, pp. 12 "CAL-1MAFSW Calliope Snow White"