Caravan Heavy Transport
- Community Outreach - Tex Talks BattleTech
- Clan Invasion Approaches $2 Million Stretch Goal, Teases UrbanMech Plushie
- What’s up with Catalyst? at GenCon 2019
- MechWarrior 5 Confirmed As Epic Games Store Exclusive
- Clan Invasion Boxed Set Funded In 7 Freakin’ Minutes, Catalyst Frantically Throwing Up Stretch Goals
- Read more →
|Caravan Heavy Transport|
|Use||Cargo Air Transport|
|Tech Base||Inner Sphere (Primitive)|
|Chassis Type (Size)||Fixed Wing (Large)|
|Crew||3 (enlisted/non rated)|
The Caravan Heavy Transport was a popular twenty-fourth century large support aircraft used by various planetary civilian and government agencies. Designed by Phillip Farnsworth of Morrison-O’Connor-Marquand Corporation, the Caravan filled what was an inexpensive link in a world's transportation network which could not utilize the then-more expensive DropShips or work space shuttles. The Caravan was a phenomenal success during its heyday, which gave its manufacturing company capital to expand its production facilities to six worlds.
The aircraft would continue to be a great success during the Age of War, until the costs of operating spacecraft finally came down. Competition from inexpensive space vehicles reduced the need for large atmospheric aircraft and by the last years of the twenty-fifth century, the Caravan would fade into the history books.
Equipment and Capabilities
The Caravan is equipped with a 60 ton carrying capacity, with access to the bay through four doors. The aircraft's fragile fuel tanks are able to hold 13 tons of fuel. This would normally give it reasonably good range if it were not for the inefficiency of its primitive engines using more fuel then necessary.
Protecting the Caravan's hull is 7 tons of BAR Grade 6 Armor.
- Cargo (60 tons) - 4 Doors (2 front & 2 rear)
- As of this writing, there is no published record sheet of the Caravan Heavy Transport which has a Battle Value assigned to it.
- The Caravan's image originates from the Stork Refueling craft which appeared in Technical Readout: 3075. The image of the Caravan was slightly modified for Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Volume 3 by erasing the refueling rig and aerospace fighters refueling from the Stork itself.
- The Supervising Engineer and Producer are both tongue-in-cheek nods to the American animated science fiction sitcom, Futurama.
- Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives Vol. 3, p. 13, "Caravan Heavy Transport"
- MUL Profile for Caravan Heavy Transport. Includes Year of Introduction.