Category talk:Individual 'Mechs
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For August, 2021
- Sarna Interviews Ray Arrastia, BattleTech Line Developer At Catalyst Games
- Community Outreach - Converting HBS’s BATTLETECH Campaign To Tabletop With Riley Centrella
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For July, 2021
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For June, 2021
- Read more →
Would Phelan Kell's Wolfhound IIC fit in this category, seeing as it was made specifically for him and there's no record of a production model? Kittle 18:22, 20 May 2009 (PDT)
- I would agree that Phelan's Wolfhound IIC would be considered a unique Battlemech.
-- Wrangler 18:36, 20 May 2009 (PDT)
What qualifies for this category?
The point above does raise the question: What exactly does this category seek to cover? I have a couple of points that I think need to be cleared up:
- I suggest to expand the category to 'Mechs in general, not only BattleMechs. That way, we make it clear that modified WorkMechs or ArenaMechs are also covered, regardless of whether or not they technically qualify as BattleMechs.
- What makes a 'Mech unique? Would individual 'Mechs with a regular configuration qualify if they have out somehow (c.f. Aleksandr Kerensky's Orion. I don't have a strong opinion either way, with a slight tendency not to say no; but I think we should consciously decide on this question.
- Is it positively required for a "unique" 'Mech to exist no more than once? I don't think that makes sense - who knows how many arena MechWarriors might have copied Yen-Lo-Wang's configuration (which, initially, was even a standard field refit with the AC/20). In many cases, we simply can't be sure how many specimen exist.
- What exactly is the difference between Unique 'Mechs, customized 'Mechs and FrankenMechs? We need to define this clearly enough to warrant separate categories, or we must lump them together into one.
Frabby 07:45, 18 June 2011 (UTC)
Now we have moved on a few years I think this category is in a place where we might be able to do something with it. The president has partially been set by the Individual Spacecraft category where the mere mention of a ship having a name warrants an article. I am not going to propose that we go that far but I think there is a lot that could be added here. Yen-Lo-Wang is the obvious one that started the whole thing but how about Lucky Thirteen the Cataphract belonging to the Lytton family? We have at least two configurations (three if we include the original), two different pilots and we even have a serial number. Same goes for the Hero-'Mechs from MWO. Some of them are already semi-cannon and from the quote from Randal that has just been put up on the BattleTech (Video Game) says to me that there will be more info to come.There is also what is possibly the most unique BattleMech in the universe... The Black Marauder.--Dmon (talk) 18:37, 13 February 2016 (PST)
- Having thought long and hard about this and after taking a close look at the articles currently in this category, I propose that we don't acutally want a category for "unique" 'Mechs; instead, we want one for (notable) "individual" 'Mechs. The MWO Hero 'Mechs would, I reckon, be a subcategory within that category. Other entries would be notable individual units from the TRO Notable Pilots section. Most of these arguably aren't actually notable, but the MWO Hero 'Mechs are and since there is no small degree of overlap I feel we need to go full monty and include all those individual 'Mechs from the TROs - in most cases probably in the form of a redirect to the article about their notable pilot. (Yes, you can put a redirect into a category.) Yet others would be prominent individual 'Mechs from novels or short stories - Yen Lo Wang, Great Gaffa's Ghost, Thirteen, the Black Marauder, etc. and for FrankenMechs there would presumably be another subcategory. Thoughts? Frabby (talk) 02:06, 16 February 2016 (PST)