Charles Marik (23rd c.)
- Your BattleTech News Round-Up For August, 2023
- Community Outreach - Locust Labs And Creating The Hunchback For Tex Talks BattleTech
- An Ode To Light 'Mechs: Why BattleTech Needs More Light 'Mech Love
- Bad 'Mechs - Ostscout
- It's The Economy, Stupid! Understanding And Comparing MechWarrior 5 In Its Historical And Economic Context
- Read more →
Duke of the Marik Commonwealth
Charles Marik was a politician and the founder of the Republic of Marik.
Terran Alliance Senator
Originally a successful businessman as part of the Marik Clan's interstellar conglomerate, Charles became a senator for Marik. Through his years in the Terran Alliance senate, his most noted event was his reaction to the violence in the colonies.
This event provided an opportunity for Charles, when the Outer Reaches Rebellion broke out in 2235. He had warned his fellow senators that a lack of political flexibility in handling the violence in the colonies would lead to trouble.
After the elections, the Terran Alliance government in 2237 ordered the military to pull out of the colonies. Seeing that the winds of change were blowing, Charles decided Marik would be better off with the elements of the rebellion and declared Marik independent a year later.
On Marik, Charles maneuvered behind the scenes to assert his framework for planetary government. He conducted backroom deals that prevented his rivals from instituting a strong central government under the guidelines of the Klondyke Constitution. By 2241, he had outmaneuvered the pro-business agenda of Klondyke's backer, Marik Senator Allard Karsegian, though bribery.
The signing of the Marik Constitution marked the formation of the four-world nation, the Republic of Marik. Now leader of the Republic, he began a series of talks to gather other worlds to join the Republic. After four years of failed diplomatic exchanges, Charles still felt strongly about how his nation needed to use a military campaign to bring these worlds under the Republic heel in 2245. He and his sons began such a campaign. In its first year, Charles's forces captured the world of Atreus. With the capture of this planet, Charles's alliance remade itself into Marik Commonwealth. He and his sons continued offensives that brought twenty worlds under the aegis of the Commonwealth by 2271. During the course of the campaign, Charles retired and turned the title of Duke over to his son, Detlev.
Family & Legacy
Titles and Positions
In his early years, Charles was publicly shy and unassuming, however, he was a political maverick who applied his skills aggressively to get what he wanted.
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), foldout (p. 171 in PDF): "The Captains-General Line of Succession and Partial Marik Family Tree"
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 8: On Senate Floor
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 12
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 13
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 13: Marianne's marriage and blood ties with House Selaj allows the two opposing sides to form the League in 2271