Circinus nearby systems
|X:Y Coordinates||-388.555 : -66.824[e]|
|Recharge time||186 hours|
The Circinus system was home to at least one habitable world, Circinus IV, and (as of 3067) was the capital of the Circinus Federation. It is located approximately 394 light-years anti-spinward of Terra.[e]
- 1 System Description
- 2 System History
- 3 Circinus IV
- 3.1 Planetary History
- 3.2 Political Affiliation
- 3.3 Planetary Rulers
- 3.4 Military Deployment
- 3.5 Geography
- 3.6 Planetary Locations
- 3.7 Map Gallery
- 3.8 Nearby Systems
- 3.9 References
- 3.10 Bibliography
The Circinus system was either settled by the Rim Worlds Republic during the Star League era at some point after the Reunification War, or was an already-inhabited system that became significant enough during this era for Inner Sphere nations to begin recording its location.
|Moons||2 (Bronco, Raxx)|
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Equatorial temperature||45° C (Savannah)|
|Highest native life||Reptile|
|Ruler||C. J "Bob" McIntyre (3025)|
President H. R. "Little Bob" McIntyre (3066)
President Calvin McIntyre (3076)
|Capital||Clayborne Remembered (3025)|
|Population||ca. 10,000 (3025) 23,070,000 (3076)|
|HPG (Representative)||B (Precentor Kim-Han Alighieri (3025))|
Circinus IV - more commonly referred to simply as Circinus - is the fourth planet in the system and has two moons named Bronco and Raxx. Circinus was the capital world of the Circinus Federation for the duration of that nation's existence.
Star League Era
Although Circinus was an uninhabited system during the Star League era, it was a base of operations for pirates. In the 2760s the Lyran Commonwealth conducted Operation HOUND DOG, a mission to hunt down the Circinus-based pirates; the Free Worlds League declined to provide any troops for the operation, refering to the mission as a "snipe hunt", but the Star League Defense Force sent observers to accompany the Second Lyran Guards Division. The Second Lyran Guards Division consisted of the Twenty-first, Twenty-third, Twenty-fourth, Twenty-sixth, Twenty-ninth and Thirtieth Lyran Guards and the Division took relatively few casualties during the course of its hunt, with the various regiments returning to garrison postings inside the Commonwealth by 2765.
Rim Worlds Campaign
Following the coup launched by Stefan Amaris, Commanding General Aleksandr Kerensky, the Commanding Officer of the Star League Defense Force, announced that he intended to occupy the Rim Worlds Republic. General Kerensky established the Fourteenth Army Group as the lead Army Group for the invasion, and elements of the Ninth Army fought in the campaign to occupy the Rim Worlds Republic. General Kerensky divided the invasion forces into two task forces, one headed by himself, and the other by General Aaron DeChavilier, and the Ninth formed a part of DeChavilier's task force.
In September 2677 the Ninth was deployed as part of the third wave of invasions into the Erdvynn Province of the Republic, tasked with capturing Circinus. During the years in which the SLDF had maintained a presence in the Rim Worlds Republic until the withdrawal of the Tenth Army Group the SLDF had built and maintained twenty fortress complexes within the Republic. One of these bases, Camp Amber, was located on Circinus; the base anchored the Republic's rimward defences and it was considered a threat to SLDF operations. The Ninth initially concentrated on securing industrial sites and civilian population centers, but found themselves being stung by hit-and-fade attacks from an enemy BattleMech force. The attackers were identified as the Twenty-third Amaris Chasseurs, and the SLDF was able to track the Chasseurs back to their base of operations... Camp Amber. This was a little embarrassing for the SLDF, as Camp Amber - buried under the northern Ezo Desert - had been believed to be abandoned, and therefore hadn't been a priority.
The Commanding Officer of the Ninth, General Thierry Dhaif, assigned two complete divisions to capture and secure Camp Amber. These two divisions - the 108th Jump Infantry Division and the 275th BattleMech Division - moved to breach the heavily fortified and concealed entrances to Camp Amber. Initially plagued by snipers and hidden weapon emplacements as they attempted to open the massive blast doors and gain access to the underground complex, the battle to secure Camp Amber would take six weeks, despite the vast disparity in numbers between the SLDF and Rim Worlds Army forces. Camp Amber was a labyrinth, and the Chasseurs were able to withdraw in good order to secondary and tertiary defensive positions within the complex. Despite the efforts made by the Chasseurs, the SLDF numbers made the difference - particularly after one company of Chasseurs made an ill-judged attempt to break out of Camp Amber and ran straight into a regiment of SLDF troops. When the SLDF finally secured Camp Amber on the 25th of October, the occupation of Circinus was complete.
By the end of the Third Succession War the planetary capital city of Circinus, Clayborne Remembered, had a population of some ten thousand people. Persistant rumors stated that the northern desertsof the world were home to training bases and secret caches containing the spoils of various raids against Free Worlds League and Lyran Commonwealth worlds.
Marian Hegemony Invasion
Caesar Julius O'Reilly led an invasion of the Circinus Federation by the Marian Hegemony in 3066. O'Reilly landed on Circinus at the head of I Legio and IV Legio as part of the second wave of the invasion, having already secured the border worlds of Blantleff and Maximillian. Anticipating a Marian Invasion, President H. R. "Little Bob" McIntyre had sought assistance from other nations, successfully enlisting covert aid from the Magistracy of Canopus and the Rim Collection of the Free Worlds League in the form of small mercenary units hired by proxy for the Federation. President McIntyre used these mercenary units to tie up two Marian legions on Illyria and Lothario, preventing them from reinforcing Caesar O'Reilly; he also used those forces to launch hit-and-run attacks against III Legio and VI Legio on Maximillian and Blantleff. After agreeing various concessions with the Word of Blake, McIntyre had the McIntyre House Guard and the Black Warriors reequipped with new BattleMechs and, disguised as reinforcements from IV Legio, the two units attacked II Legio and VI Legio, preventing them from supporting O'Reilly's forces and robbing the invasion of momentum.
With the McIntyre House Guard present on Circinus, the planetary defenses around the capital slowed the Marian invasion, and McIntyre had the Black Warriors launch an attack on the Marian capital world, Alphard. News of the attack was deliberately sent to the Marian forces, leading O'Reilly to halt the invasion and redeploy his forces, pulling both Legions off Circinus as he secured his own capital and the two worlds already captured, effectively ending the war despite the lack of any formal ceasefire. O'Reilly did send diplomats to Circinus after his forces withdrew, but McIntyre responded by having the diplomats returned to Alphard without their heads.
Circinus was rendered uninhabitable in the closing battle of the Jihad which began on the 2nd of April 3081. A black water fleet from the Principality of Regulus had pursued The Master and his bodyguard from the world of Gibson, subjecting each world to which they tracked him to a systematic orbital and nuclear bombardment. To ensure the destruction of The Master and any remaining senior members of the Word of Blake the Regulan flotilla spent several days subjecting Circinus to a systematic nuclear bombardment, using cobalt-laced weapons to ensure the highest possible level of destruction and ultimately the complete sterilization of Circinus. Every city and military installation on the planet was destroyed, with both The Master and the President of the Circinus Federation, Calvin McIntyre reportedly being killed in the bombardment. The Regulans also destroyed the two Blakist WarShips found in the system, the Vincent Mk. 39-class WoBS Blake's Redemption and the Avalon-class FSS Melissa Davion, captured from the Federated Suns navy years before. In addition to destroying the last of the Word of Blake's leadership, the destruction of Circinus also spelled the end of the centuries-old Circinus Federation.
- 2571 - No record 
- 2596 - No record 
- 2750 - Rim Worlds Republic 
- 2764 - Rim Worlds Republic 
- 2765 - Rim Worlds Republic 
- 2767 - Rim Worlds Republic 
- 2786 - Independent world 
- 2822 - Independent world 
- 2864 - Independent world 
- 3025 - Circinus Federation 
- 3030 - Circinus Federation 
- 3040 - Circinus Federation  
- 3050 - Circinus Federation 
- 3052 - Circinus Federation 
- 3057 - Circinus Federation 
- 3058 - Circinus Federation 
- 3059 - Circinus Federation 
- 3063 - Circinus Federation 
- 3067 - Circinus Federation 
- 3075 - Circinus Federation 
- 3079 - Circinus Federation 
- 3081 - Circinus Federation (dead or dying world) 
- 3085 - No record 
- 3135 - No record 
- 3145 - No record 
- C. J "Bob" McIntyre
- President H. R. "Little Bob" McIntyre
- Black Warriors
Circinus is a dry world with rich deposits of minerals, gemstones and radioactive materials.
- Camp Amber: a former SLDF fortress complex buried under the northern Ezo Desert.
- Clayborne Remembered: The planetary capital city.
|Closest 32 systems (29 within 60 light-years)|
Distance in light years, closest systems first:
|Poulsbo||13.6||Khon Kaen||20.9||Green Stone||21.8||Cerillos||23.6|
- The Pheriphery (sourcebook), p. 145, "Circinus"
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers, p. 237, "Circinus Planet Profile"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 42, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 158, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 36, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 197, "The Caesar's War"
- Field Report 2765: LCAF, p. 12, "Lyran Guards"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 105, "The Gathering Storm"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 106, "Camp Amber"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 61, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 128, "Original Word Of Blake Fleet"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 128, "Captured Ships"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 25, "Lyran Commonwealth after Age of War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 24, "Free Worlds League after Age of War -  Map"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. vii, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 10, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Report 2765: Periphery, p. 38, "Rim Worlds Army Deployment Map - "
- Field Report 2765: Lyran Commonwealth, p. 25, "Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces Deployment Map - "
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 104, "Rim Worlds Republic -  Map"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 24-25, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 36, "Lyran Commonwealth after First Succession War -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, pp. 122-123, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 34, "Free Worlds League after First Succession War -  Map"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 112-113, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 40, "Lyran Commonwealth after Second Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 38, "Free Worlds League after Second Succession War -  Map"
- The Periphery (sourcebook), p. vii, "Maps of the Periphery"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 47, "Lyran Commonwealth after Third Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 42, "Free Worlds League after Third Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 56, "Lyran Commonwealth after Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 51, "Free Worlds League after Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 59, "Lyran Commonwealth after War of 3039 -  Map"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 132, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 10, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 61, "Lyran Commonwealth after Clan Invasion -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 22, "Inner Sphere Map -  Map"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 10, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 54, "Free Worlds League after Operation Guerrero -  Map"
- The Periphery, 2nd Edition, p. 110, "Rim Collection & Circinus Federation"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 28, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Inner Sphere (sourcebook), p. 98, "Near Periphery Kingdoms"
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 169, "Circinus Federation -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 70, "Lyran Commonwealth after FedCom Civil War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 56, "Free Worlds League after FedCom Civil War -  Map"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 64, Inner Sphere -  Map
- Field Report: LAAF, p. 19, "Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces Deployment Map - [August 3079]"
- Field Report: FWLM, p. 17, "Free Worlds League Military Deployment Map - [August 3079]"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 62, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. vii, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 10, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 38, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 140, "Major Periphery States - Uncontracted Mercenaries"
- Mercenaries Supplemental II, p. 65, "Mercenary Deployment Table"
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report 2765: Lyran Commonwealth
- Field Report 2765: Periphery
- Field Report: FWLM
- Field Report: LAAF
- Field Report 2765: LCAF
- First Succession War
- Handbook: House Marik
- Handbook: House Steiner
- Handbook: Major Periphery States
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- Inner Sphere
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers
- Mercenaries Supplemental II
- The Periphery, 1st Edition
- The Periphery, 2nd Edition