Clan Sea Fox
|Clan Sea Fox/Clan Diamond Shark|
|Time period:||2807 – 2985
3100 – Present
|Military:||Clan Sea Fox touman|
|Secret Service:||Clan Sea Fox Watch|
Clan Sea Fox is the original name of Clan Diamond Shark. Clan Sea Fox and Clan Snow Raven had a falling out, and in response Clan Snow Raven created the Diamond Shark, a predator designed solely to hunt and kill the Sea Foxes who lived in Strana Mechty's oceans. After most of the Sea Foxes had been killed, Clan Sea Fox petitioned the Grand Council to change its name to Clan Diamond Shark. Several sea foxes were preserved by the Clan and placed on other worlds, where they flourished. As a result, Clan Diamond Shark changed its name back to Clan Sea Fox by 3100. The Diamond Shark/Sea Fox Clan has relied heavily on its Merchant Caste since its inception, giving them more power and freedom than most Clans. Though many believe them to be weak because of their democratic attitudes toward their lower castes, the Diamond Sharks maintained one of the largest and most elite toumans among the Clans.
After the Jihad, the Diamond Sharks were one of several Clans forced to move to the Inner Sphere. Having few worlds of their own, the reborn Clan Sea Fox is a nomad trader Clan who now almost entirely reside on giant ArcShips and CargoShips that roam throughout Inner Sphere and Periphery space.
- Founding Year: 2810 (initial), 3068 (modern)
- National Symbol: A silver-blue sea fox, bowing as it rises from the water
- Government: Clan (caste-driven, warrior/merchant-dominant hierarchy)
- Dominant Language: English (official)
- Dominant Religion: Atheism
- Unit of Currency: Fox-Credit (1 Fox Credit = 1 C-bill)
See Also: Loremaster of Clan Sea Fox
Worlds and Enclaves
The Clan has control over three worlds: Twycross, Trondheim, and Itabaiana. In addition to these worlds, the Clan has enclaves on eighteen different worlds.
- 3070–3080s - Khanate and Aimag formations begin to appear with modified WarShips at their core. They begin roving to render aid to worlds left isolated due to Blakist attacks.
- 3097 - Clan Wolf forces in the Feltre star system attack the Swimmer Khanate's Beta Aimag, which consist of two JumpShips and their attendant flotilla of DropShips. The Wolves believed they could overpower the Aimag's Cluster-sized force. They deploy an aerospace-heavy force against Beta's troops, who easily defeat them. The Wolf force is unable to capture a single ship belonging to the Aimag. Later that year, Clan Sea Fox dispatches two entire Khanates and a Galaxy's worth of troops to assault the Wolves on Feltre. The assault destroys two Clusters of Clan Wolf troops. Clan Sea Fox leaves the planet after the battle, displaying no interest in claiming Feltre for themselves. However, Clan Wolf traders suffer a 200 percent price increase in their dealings with Clan Sea Fox subsequently.
- 3134 - ovKhan Sha Clarke, commander of Beta Aimag of the Spina Khanate attempts to secede with his Khanate by having Clan Jade Falcon forces assassinate Khan Mori Hawker. However, ovKhan Petr Kalasa of Delta Aimag and rest of the Khanate successfully thwarts the attempted assassination.
- 3137 - Delta Aimag of the Spina Khanate negotiates a deal with "Clan" Spirit Cats to jointly control the world of Marik, which becomes newest of the clearinghouse worlds.
- 3138 - Delta Aimag helps to create and becomes the governing power of the Clan Protectorate in the old Free Worlds League.
Era Specific Data
- Capital: ilKhanate ArcShip Poseidon, no home system
- Locations (Terra relative): Various worlds and spaceborne colonies scattered across the Inner Sphere
- Total (Inhabited) Systems: 3 total control; 14 world enclaves
- Estimated Population (3130): 428,670,000
- Government: Clan (caste-driven, warrior/merchant-dominant hierarchy)
- Ruler: Khan Mori Hawker
Culture and Characteristics
Sea Fox Clansmen have an uncanny sense of smell due to the near-sterile space environment they live in. They are able to smell a wide variety of scents. It should be noted that they sometimes find Inner Sphere odors rather offensive.
Despite the Clan's nomadic existence in the Inner Sphere, their solidarity continues to keeps the Clan whole socially. Due to the relative independence of individual Aimags and their isolation from one another, they can sometimes be perceived as sub-Clans. However they remain largely synchronized with the Clan as a whole.
Many warriors of the Clan have been trained to be as much like merchants as possible in order to understand the ramifications of actions and deals. Despite making it appear that warriors are more "bargainers first", they are still very much fearless Clan warriors.
Clan Sea Fox sibkos are known as Shivers, with instructors referred to as Shiv-trainers. Cadets are called Shivs.
Sea Fox warriors engage in Rituals of Combat with members of other Aimags. These Rituals, not only serving as a way for space-bound Fox warriors to keep their fighting edge, also serve as a way of heightening an Aimag's reputation and standing within the Clan. Combat is not to the death—a MechWarrior wins their ritual duel if they first destroy one of their opponent's limbs.
Category:Clan Sea Fox Bloodnames
See: Khan of Clan Sea Fox
See: Loremaster of Clan Sea Fox
The Sea Foxes are primarily a space-bound community. After the Jihad, their vessels were reorganized into two types of Fleet. These Fleets are divided in a manner similar to the Galaxies and Clusters of other Clans. However, these divisions are not strictly military formations, since they contain substantial civilian elements as well.
The Sea Fox fleet is organized in two types of formations: Khanates and Aimags.
Each of the five autonomous Khanates is led by a saKhan, except for the ilKhanate, which is the Khan's personal Khanate.
The Sea Foxes have mercantile relationships with all Clans, though few real lasting friends or enemies.
|Rasalhague Dominion||Ally||The Sharks and Ghost Bears always held good relations towards each other. These relations would still remain intact after their changes into the Sea Foxes and Dominion respectively.|
|Spirit Cats||Ally||The Nova Cats remained friends with them until their destruction by the Draconis Combine. Their relation would continue with their offshoot in the Spirits Cats, following the creation of the Clan Protectorate.|
|Clan Wolf||Ally||Historically, the Sharks have had good relations with original Clan Wolf, and these continue with Clan Wolf-in-Exile. Though they did support Clan Wolf during their drive to Terra by supplying them with equipment. Their Khans acknowledged Alaric Ward as ilKhan, taking small credit for their victory.|
The Sea Foxes harbored a grudge against two Clans during their history.
|Raven Alliance||Enemy||The Sea Foxes harbored a grudge against the Snow Ravens for their role in the death of the Sea Fox, but this mostly took the form of besting them in mercantile transactions.|
|Clan Jade Falcon||Enemy||During Ian Hawker's reign as Khan, he allied with the Jade Falcons. However, the Falcons and their Smoke Jaguar allies hindered Diamond Sharks efforts to assist them. Following the Great Refusal and Hawker's suicide afterward, the Diamond Sharks cut off all friendly ties with the Falcons. Following the Dark Ages, a deal was made to assassinate the Sea Fox Khan, Mori Hawker. This action caused relations to sour further.|
The ArcShip Titanic was described in Dark Age: Touring the Stars (3130) as the Tiburon Khanate's flagship, and described as a heavily modified Potemkin-class cruiser, now an ArcShip. However, during the Jihad the Clan Diamond Shark Titanic, which is also a Potemkin-class cruiser, was listed as lost during the breaking of the blockade of Clan Star Adder. A question answered on the Classic BattleTech message board indicates that the Titanic that is currently an ArcShip is another ship renamed in honor of the previous vessel. However, the Titanic was once more seen in a later sourcebook, creating doubt about what happened in Clan space with the original Titanic.
Unknown to the Inner Sphere, using information supplied by the Snow Ravens, a small Clan Diamond Shark salvage team secretly journeyed to Lum in 3075 to salvage the abandoned but still functional Snowflake, renaming it Titanic in honor of the lost vessel.
- ↑ Historical: Operation Klondike, p. 129
- ↑ Historical: Operation Klondike, p. 101
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Dark Age: Touring the Stars (3130), p. 63
- ↑ Hunters of the Deep, pp. 97, 130
- ↑ Dark Age: Touring the Stars (3130), p. 60
- ↑ Dark Age: Touring the Stars (3130), p. 64
- ↑ Dark Age: Touring the Stars (3130), p. 62
- ↑ Era Report: 3145, p. 66: "Clan Sea Fox"
- ↑ Pandora's Gambit, p. 97: Note: The Spirit Cats bargain with Sea Foxes for help securing the planet as a safe haven for them
- ↑ Hunters of the Deep, p. 57: "Petr Kalasa picks up scents in Merchant House on Adhafera"
- ↑ Dark Age: Touring the Stars (3130), p. 58
- ↑ Hunters of the Deep, pp. 16, 34
- ↑ Hunters of the Deep, p. 49
- ↑ Hunters of the Deep, p. 59
- ↑ Hunters of the Deep - rear cover of book
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3075, p. 134
- ↑ Forum post (dead link) - Writer answers the question of two WarShips named the Titanic
- ↑ The Wars of Reaving, p. 173: "Clan Diamond Shark"