Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
Clinton nearby systems
|X:Y Coordinates||-165.923 : 53.979[e]|
- 1 System Description
- 2 System History
- 3 Political Affiliation
- 4 Planetary History
- 5 Military Deployment
- 6 Geography
- 7 Planetary Locations
- 8 Industrial Centers
- 9 Image gallery
- 10 Map Gallery
- 11 Nearby Systems
- 12 References
- 13 Bibliography
- 2271 - Inhabited world 
- 2296 - Independent world 
- 2299 - Federation of Skye 
- 2340 - Federation of Skye 
- 2341 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2571 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2596 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2750 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2765 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2822 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2864 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3025 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3030 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3050 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3052 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3057 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3063 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3067 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3075 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3079 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3081 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3085 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3135 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3145 - Wolf Empire 
By 2296 Clinton marked one edge of the area of space within which the interstellar trade company Skye Traders was the dominant commercial interest, an area which in 2299 would form the basis of the new interstellar nation founded by Ian McQuiston of Skye, the Federation of Skye.
Third Succession War
Following an impressive display in helping to repel a Lyran invasion of Rochelle whilst under contract to the Free Worlds League - followed by a breakout from Rochelle against Free Worlds League forces as part of a mercenary uprising lead by Cranston Snord following an attempt by Captain-General Janos Marik to confiscate equipment from surviving mercenary commands to replace losses to FWLM units - the mercenary unit Snord's Irregulars were hired by Archon Katrina Steiner. Whilst the negotiations to hire the Irregulars had taken some time, the Irregulars were given the right to select the location of their assignment; Cranston Snord had deliberately drawn the negotiations out, as he believed Clinton to be the location of a hidden Star League Defense Force Castle Brian, and had needed time to confirm the location of the hidden facility. With the contract signed, Snord's Irregulars received quantities of spare parts to enable the command to repair it's 'Mechs and used Clinton as a permanent base while conducting numerous raids and missions on behalf of the Lyran Commonwealth.
Once in place, Cranston Snord obtained authority to use the "worthless area" he knew contained the Castle Brian as the Irregulars' permanent base, using the Castle Brian as a secret extension to the base. During their tenure on Clinton the Irregulars earned a reputation as artifact hunters and gained notoriety for flagrantly disobeying orders in battle to hunt for treasures. They were unpopular among Katrina Steiner's advisers, but she cared more for the results the unit achieved. On top of the secret underground Castle Brian, the Irregulars built a museum where they exhibited their art collection. It drew enough tourist attraction to provide some extra funds to their coffers. Even Katrina Steiner herself frequently visited the museum.
The Irregulars frequently fought against Free Worlds League forces for a decade, consistently beating their opponents and acquiring art and treasures in the process; not a man to take losing lightly, Janos Marik had enough of the repeated humiliation and sent elite forces to Clinton to destroy the Irregulars' base in the winter of 3017. This attack, which met with little resistance as Snord's Irregulars were fighting Marik Regulars on Loric at the time, devastated more than just the base facilities and the museum. The precious art collection was stolen, destroyed or badly damaged, constituting a considerable blow against the morale of Snord's Irregulars and also pushing them close to bankruptcy. Katrina Steiner again stepped in in their favor, however. Following a personal audience which she granted Cranston Snord within a week of his return to Clinton, she gave Snord's Irregulars an advance on pay as well as permission to attack the Free Worlds League at will. She also loaned the unit a JumpShip, though Samual Sneede opined that "it should have been on its way to the scrap yard when we got it".
In retaliation for the raid on Clinton, Snord's Irregulars conducted a series of raids within the Free Worlds League as part of a scheme dubbed Operation Junk Yard Dog. Junk Yard Dog was remarkably successful, retrieving much of the stolen museum collection as well as seeing the Irregulars' capture a League planetary governor - and third cousin to the Captain-General - before returning home, and incensed Janos Marik. In retaliation for Junk Yard Dog, Janos formed an ad hoc disposable unit dubbed Carp's Commandos in 3019 using prisoners and military rejects, equipped them with substandard 'Mechs and had them dropped on Clinton to cause as much damage as possible to the irregulars. The Commandos and their leader, Lieutenant Marty Carp, landed significantly off-target, removing any element of surprise, and as a result were handily defeated by the Irregulars, who then spent six months rebuilding from the damage taken over the course of their successful retrieval mission.
- Cranston Snord's Irregulars
- Cranston Snord's Irregulars
- Cranston Snord's Irregulars
|Closest 32 systems (29 within 60 light-years)|
Distance in light years, closest systems first:
- Era Report: 3145, p. 38, "Inner Sphere - 3145"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere - 3145"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 10, "Founding Fathers"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 13, "Marik Commonwealth world within the Free Worlds League before  and after at their founding in "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 13, "Federation of Skye world within the Lyran Commonwealth befor  and after at their founding in "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 25, "Lyran Commonwealth after Age of War "
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 158, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 25, "Rim Worlds Republic At the Fall of the Star League "
- Era Report: 2750, p. 36, "Inner Sphere - 2750"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 10, "Inner Sphere - 2765"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 36, "Lyran Commonwealth after First Succession War "
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 122-123, "Inner Sphere - 2822"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 40, "Lyran Commonwealth after Second Succession War "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 47, "Lyran Commonwealth after Third Succession War  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 56, "Lyran Commonwealth after Fourth Succession War  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 59, "Lyran Commonwealth after War of 3039  Map"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere - 3040"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 10, "Inner Sphere - 3050"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 61, "Lyran Commonwealth after Clan Invasion  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 22, "Inner Sphere - 3052"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 10, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Era Report: 3062, p. 28, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 70, "Lyran Alliance after FedCom Civil War  Map"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 43, "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3067]"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 63, "Inner Sphere - 3075"
- Field Report: LAAF, p. 19, "Lyran Alliance Deployment Table "
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 62, "Inner Sphere Map - [March 3081]"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. vii, "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3085]"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 9, "Inner Sphere - 3135"
- Cranston Snord's Irregulars, p. 3
- Rhonda's Irregulars, p. 6
- Cranston Snord's Irregulars, p. 4
- Cranston Snord's Irregulars gives different accounts on this. On p. 5 it is noted that the Irregulars were fighting Wolf's Dragoons, apparently referring to the battle that is said to have taken place in 3014 on p. 4 (and also in Rhonda's Irregulars, p. 7); Cranston Snord himself claims in an interview transcript on p. 39 that they fought Marik regulars on Loric in 3017.
- Cranston Snord's Irregulars, p. 5
- Cranston Snord's Irregulars, p. 44
- Cranston Snord's Irregulars, pp. 32-33 (Scenario "A Present From Janos")
- Cranston Snord's Irregulars, p. 6
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p.45, "Operation GÖTTERDÄMMERUNG"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 141, "Deployment Table"
- 20 Year Update, p. 27, "Federated Commonwealth Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 160, "Deployment Table - 3085"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 171, "Clan Force Deployments - Wolf Empire"
- Cranston Snord's Irregulars (scenario pack), p. 33
- Storms of Fate, Ch. 10
- 20 Year Update
- Cranston Snord's Irregulars (scenario pack)
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Report: LAAF
- Handbook: House Marik
- Handbook: House Steiner
- Handbook: Major Periphery States
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1
- Rhonda's Irregulars (scenario pack)
- Storms of Fate (novel)