Conventional Aircraft are the atmosphere-only aircraft that have been around since the Wright Flyer's first takeoff. Though modern craft are much more advanced and capable than that early model, Conventional Aircraft intended for combat, called Conventional Fighters, have been superseded in modern times by the aerospace fighter, which can operate in both atmosphere and space.
However, ignoring the capabilities of conventional aircraft is a mistake. Capable of providing troop transport, reconnaissance, local air superiority, and close air support, conventional aircraft can still be an effective combat unit. Additionally, their lower construction cost and relative ease of construction is why most worlds have at least some conventional aircraft available.
Though VTOLs are considered conventional aircraft by virtue of being able to operate only in-atmosphere, VTOLs behave so differently that they are considered a completely different category of aircraft.
Conventional Aircraft are manufactured on the following planets:
- Total Warfare, p. 23, "Conventional Fighters"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 164, "Cal-Boeing of Dorwinion Profile"
- Objective Raids, p. 92, "Produced Cal-Boeing of Dorwinion Components"
- Handbook: House Liao, p. 135, "Mujika Aerospace Company Profile"
- Objective Raids, p. 149, "Produced Mujika Aerospace Technologies Components"
- Technical Readout: 3039, p. 178, "Produced Guardian Components"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 136, "Imstar Aerospace Company Profile"
- Technical Readout: 3039, p. 186, "Produced Aircraft Components"
- Objectives: Free Worlds League, p. 10
- Experimental Technical Readout: Corporations, p. 16, "Produced Planetlifter variant"
- Technical Readout: Prototypes, p. 160, "Produced Planetlifter Support variant Components"
- Experimental Technical Readout: Phantoms, p. 12
- Technical Readout: 3039, p. 176, "Produced Boeing Jump Bomber Components"
- Technical Readout: 3039, p. 180, "Produced Defender Components on Amity"
- Technical Readout: 3039, p. 182, "Meteor Fighter Profile"
- Objectives: Federated Suns, p. 28, "Jalastar Aerospace"
- Objectives: Periphery, p. 17
- Objectives: The Clans, p. 21, "United Outworlders Corporation"