- This article is about the OmniMech design. For the earlier regular BattleMech design and other uses, see Crossbow (BattleMech) and Crossbow (disambiguation).
|Manufacturer||Novy Minsky Armaments Plant|
|Mech type||Clan OmniMech|
|Engine||New Kent Type 325|
|Communications System||Bishop 211 Meridian|
|Targeting Tracking System||Spanke|
|Heat Sinks||10 Double Heat Sinks|
Developed during the Golden Century by Clan Steel Viper as an early second-generation OmniMech, the Crossbow is a relatively cheap OmniMech. The Crossbow was Clan Steel Viper's first attempt to crash-start their OmniMech manufacturing capability, and was initiated in part by a small cadre of captured Clan Snow Raven scientist caste. Since both parties were relatively new to Omni-technology, the teams developed a novel Omni-pod system confined to replacing the 'Mech's arms. Since only the arms of early Crossbows can mount Omni-pods, early Crossbows are jump-incapable (more recently, configurations have been published containing weapon systems in the torsos). As the Crossbow is much less flexible than most OmniMechs, and since the Crossbow lacks of lighter materials of most OmniMechs, the Crossbow has largely been relegated to second-line duty, though it still appears frequently in the front lines, especially within Clan Steel Viper. However, the Crossbow is still quite effective - from its first engagement at Firebase Climax on Homer in 2870 to the present, the Crossbow's mix of arm-mounted missiles make it a superb fire-support choice.
Considered a rare design by the Jihad era, the Crossbow's remaining production facilities would end up being destroyed in 3074 during the Wars of Reaving, effectively phasing it out of use in the Clan Homeworlds. The Crossbow would find new life in the Inner Sphere during the next century, as Clan Wolf used Arcturus' factories to mass-produce the design when they took the planet in 3128. During that battle a Wolf MechWarrior named Andreas managed to destroy an entire company of Lyran 'Mechs while piloting a Crossbow, earning a posthumous place in the Remembrance and ensuring that the newly-won factory would produce more of the design. Sporting an upgraded configuration Crossbows saw extensive use in the Clan Wolf touman, notably with the Seventy-ninth Wolf Battle Cluster on Denebola.
When the Jade Falcons later claimed Arcturus after it was abandoned by the Wolves, they neglected the Crossbow's production lines, allowing Clan Sea Fox to buy and sell the design in large numbers. In Jade Falcon service Crossbows were used to less effect, partly because they were relegated to inferior units.
Weapons and Equipment
Often described as a sleeker version of the Star League Longbow, the Crossbow is solidly protected by twelve tons of armor, though its traditionally missile-heavy weapons loadout means that it does not need any extra double heat sinks.
The weapons on the Crossbow are simple: two Artemis-guided LRM-20s that are just as effective at point blank range as they are at long. The limited ammo supply is rarely a problem in Clan Trials, but it cannot stay on the field for an extended period of time. The majority of the configurations mount all the weapons in the arms, and the primary configuration is no exception.
- Alt. Config. C
- The third variant continues the missile-heavy loadout with a pair of ATM 6s, along with enough ammo for each launcher to have access to all of the different types possible. These are supplemented by a pair of Heavy Machine Guns in the torso for anti-infantry work and an ECM Suite. BV (1.0) = 1,385, BV (2.0) = 1,557
- Alt. Config. H
- Designed to take advantage of the heavy laser technology pioneered by Clan Star Adder, variant H mounts a Large and a Medium. It has an LRM-15 in the opposite arm, and two Light Machine Guns on each side of the torso to protect against unarmored infantry. Four additional double heat sinks help keep the 'Mech cool. BV (1.0) = 1,461, BV (2.0) = 1,707
- Alt. Config. J
- This configuration carries an Improved Heavy Large Laser in the right arm. An engine Supercharger allows the Crossbow to reach sprint speeds of 100km/h. This speed boost allows the 'Mech to bring the nine ER Small Lasers in the left arm and Talons mounted in the legs into play more quickly. BV (2.0) = 1,839
- Crossbow - Though produced centuries after the Age of War Lyran Crossbow BattleMech, the original BattleMech "likely inspired" the design of the Crossbow OmniMech.
- Khan Natalie Breen of Clan Steel Viper, prior of the Battle of Tukayyid, piloted a Crossbow during the fight against Clan Jade Falcon on Waldorff.
In German products the unit's proper name was perfectly translated to Armbrust.
Original Crossbow from Bloodright
Crossbow from TRO:3058
Crossbow from RG:ilClan v17
Crossbow from Shrapnel #3
Crossbow concept art from the Clan Invasion KS
Crossbow A in motion from CCG
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade, pp. 182-183
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade, p. 166
- Era Digest: Golden Century, p. 21, RUD
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 270
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 169
- TechManual, p. 51
- Bloodright, pp. 60-61
- Invading Clans (sourcebook), pp. 98-99
- Technical Readout: 3058, p. 178
- The Wars of Reaving Supplemental, p. 17 Discarded Tools of War - Crossbow's factory being destroyed.
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 17, p. 12, "Crossbow" entry
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 271
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 170
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 272
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 170
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 273
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 111
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 172
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 173
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 174
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 17, p. 18
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 17, p. 19
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 274
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 112
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 175
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 17, p. 20
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 17, p. 16
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New, p. 144
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 17, p. 21
- Technical Readout: 3075, p. 278
- Bloodright (scenario pack)
- Combat Operations
- Era Digest: Golden Century
- Invading Clans (sourcebook)
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 17
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League)
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New
- Record Sheets: Upgrades
- Technical Readout: 3058
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: 3075
- The Wars of Reaving Supplemental