- Your BattleTech News Round-Up For August, 2023
- Community Outreach - Locust Labs And Creating The Hunchback For Tex Talks BattleTech
- An Ode To Light 'Mechs: Why BattleTech Needs More Light 'Mech Love
- Bad 'Mechs - Ostscout
- It's The Economy, Stupid! Understanding And Comparing MechWarrior 5 In Its Historical And Economic Context
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||Manufacturing Plant DSF-IT1
|'Mech type||Clan BattleMech|
|Chassis||Dominator Medium-Alpha 01 endo steel|
|Armor||Compound 6F Ferro Fibrous|
|Engine||Type 79 400 XL|
|Communications System||Comset 1|
|Targeting Tracking System||J-Track 52|
|Heat Sinks||10 double|
The original Dasher, called Fire Moth by the Clans, is a light 'Mech that is known for having great speed but weak armor, and it was found that the Dasher was not very effective at swarm tactics or raiding due to this deficiency. Because of this deficiency in the design the Dasher II entered service during the Word of Blake Jihad. Much heavier and sturdier than the original Dasher, the Dasher II has a top speed of 162 km/h that equals that of the original Dasher. The Dasher II's top speed allows it to close in to effectively use its firepower.
Unfortunately the Dasher II has little to recommend it over the earlier Dasher. To keep the speed of the original Dasher, designers used a huge 400-rated XL engine that occupies nearly two thirds of the 'Mech's available weight. Another strike against the Dasher II is that unlike its inspiration, it isn't an OmniMech. The only advantage the standard Dasher II has over the Dasher is the three tons of ferro-fibrous armor used to protect it.
Weapons and Equipment
The Dasher II is armed with six ER micro lasers. While these weapons do not have a very long range they are capable of doing heavy damage when used in large numbers at short range. The problem is that the Dasher II is likely to be picked apart by long-range weapons fire long before it gets into range.
- Dasher II 2
- This experimental variant of the Dasher II was first seen in 3084 by Republic of the Sphere intelligence. This version replaces the engine with an XXL engine, adds MASC, and increases the armor protection. The ER micro lasers are replaced by ER medium lasers as well. BV (2.0) = 2,239
- Dasher II 3
- This variant of the Dasher II, developed in 3136, reduces the top speed of the 'Mech to 120 km/h. The weapons have also been removed and replaced by a single ER PPC, while the hand actuators have been replaced by claws for close-quarter combat. The weight freed up by the engine swap allows this variant to carry more than twice the armor of its progenitor design. BV (2.0) = 1,496
- Dasher II 4
- This variant, introduced in 3136, is also equipped for close combat. It carries a chain whip and Triple Strength Myomer, while an XL gyro and XXL engine free up space for more weaponry. The Dasher II 4 carries two LRM-5 launchers, an ER large laser, ER medium laser, and ER small laser, while a single micro pulse laser provides some anti-infantry support. The 'Mech's top speed is usually 100 km/h, but with the TSM active it can hit 110 km/h. Eight improved jump jets allow it to cover 240 meters per jump, and the Dasher II 4's armor protection is enhanced with the use of hardened armor. BV (2.0) = 1,749
Fire Moth (Dasher) - The Dasher II was created as a heavier, non-Omni version of the Fire Moth.
MechWarrior: Dark Age Dasher II
- Technical Readout: 3085, pp. 149-150, "Dasher II"
- MUL online entry for the Dasher II
- MUL online entry for Dasher II 2 variant
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge, p. 214
- MUL online entry for Dasher II 3 variant
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades, p. 105
- MUL online entry for Dasher II 4 variant
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades, p. 106
- BattleMech Manual, p. 90 BattleMech Quirk Table - Dasher II Entry.