Death From Above
- This article is about the combat maneuver. For the show or other uses, see Death From Above (disambiguation).
- Highlander Burial redirects here.
Although the exact rules differ depending on the overall ruleset, Death from Above is invariably a risky and difficult maneuver that inflicts a great deal of damage to the target but usually also some damage to the attacker. It cannot be performed by 'Mechs without jump jets. Many MechWarriors consider this tactic reckless, but admit it gives a strong advantage to BattleMechs equipped with jump jets.
When performed by a Highlander BattleMech, this attack is sometimes referred to as a "Highlander Burial", because a light 'Mech is crushed and literally buried into the earth by the Highlander’s impact. The Northwind Highlanders were specialized in this type of attack. In fact, the BattleMech was redesigned specially to perform it.
- Jasek Kelswa-Steiner, leader of Stormhammers, was killed in this way by a Clan Jade Falcon commander during the battle of Coventry in 3148.
- Colonel Fiona Cochraine, commanding officer of Cochraine's Goliaths, was killed by Andrew Redburn in the battle of St. Andre at the beginning of Fourth Succession War in 3028.
- Technical Readout 3025 p. 36
- Technical Readout 2750 p. 52
- Technical Readout: 2750, pp. 52-53, "HGN-732 Highlander 'Mech Profile"
- Combat Manual Mercenaries, p. 58
- A Splinter of Hope/The Anvil, p. 126
- Warrior: Riposte, pp. 253-254 - Prince Hanse Davion is debriefed on the battle of St. Andre.