- Your BattleTech News Roundup For August 2020
- MechWarrior 5 DLC, Heroes Of The Inner Sphere, Previewed In Podcasts And Streams
- MechCommander Returns As a MechWarrior 5 Mod
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For July, 2020
- The Evolution Of Long-Range Missiles In BattleTech, or Why You Should Shut Up And Love The LRM-5
- Read more →
- This article is about the flagship BattleMech produced by Defiance Industries. For other uses, see Defiance (disambiguation).
|Mech type||Inner Sphere BattleMech|
|Chassis||Defiant V Endo Steel|
|Armor||Durallex Heavy Standard|
|Engine||Edasich 300 Light Fusion Engine|
|Communications System||Angst Discom|
|Targeting Tracking System||Angst Accuracy|
|Heat Sinks||12 Double Heat Sinks|
Originally developed in 3057, the prototype Defiance was intended to be the flagship design of venerable Defiance Industries, only to become mired in Field Marshal Brandal Gareth's abortive revolt (subsequently put down by the Gray Death Legion) and passed over for the successful Fafnir. The Defiance's fortunes changed with the loss of Hesperus II to the Word of Blake, with the LAAF scrambling for any available 'Mech designs. Though configured mainly to produce light and medium 'Mechs, the remaining Defiance factory on Furillo was able to retool one of their medium lines to produce a heavy 'Mech, selecting to produce a modernized version of the Defiance in 3074.
Described as a "Warhammer on steroids", the Defiance is visually similar to the original WHM-6R, carries a similar weapons array, and uses a searchlight linked to the 'Mech's targeting system. Where it differs from the classic design is in the use of digigrade instead of humanoid legs, and modern construction components such as a Endo Steel skeleton, Light Fusion Engine. and Triple Strength Myomers. Due in part to the high heat levels required by its specialized myomers, as well as weight constraints, the Defiance carries only twelve double heat sinks, forcing it to rely upon Volley fire to avoid shutdown, much like the design upon which it was based.
Weapons and Equipment
The Defiance for the most part closely apes the weapon load-out of the Warhammer, with two Defiance 1001 ER PPC in the 'Mechs handless arms as primary weapons, backed up by a Coventry 90mm SRM-6 rack, two pairs of Diverse Optic ER Small and Medium Lasers, and a Trellshire MiniGun. The most significant addition is a torso mounted Defiance Disintegrator LB 10-X Autocannon, which has a similar range to the arm-mounted ER PPCs and is capable of firing standard or cluster munitions.
- The original prototype Defiance produced on Hesperus II, this version was powered by a Edasich 300 XL Engine and used an experimental Compact Gyro, which freed up space to mount a second SRM-6 rack in the center torso. As Extended range versions of medium and small lasers were not yet available to the Federated Commonwealth, it carried two pairs of Small and Medium Pulse Lasers instead, the increased weight devoted to weapons limiting the armor to twelve tons. BV (2.0) = 1,817
- A common field refit choice for ER PPC mounting 'Mechs as much as a way to overcome material shortages during the Jihad, the 3T swaps two Magna Hellstar standard PPCs for the advanced models. While reducing range, it also reduces the heat load on the 'Mech's overstressed coolant systems, leading to it being offered as a factory configuration. BV (2.0) = 1,981
- Warhammer - Bearing a visual resemblance to the Defiance, the classic Star League Warhammer BattleMech is the inspiration for the Defiance. Both BattleMechs boast a strong complement of particle weapons, SRMs, and a search light.
- Daniel Brewer, Duke of Hesperus II and CEO of Defiance Industries, piloted the first prototype of the Defiance when he decided to fight the Gray Death Legion on his own. Despite his lack of experience and glitches with his 'Mech, he almost defeated the Legion, proving the incredible potential of the Defiance.
- Colonel Thomas Hogarth was gifted a production-model Defiance by Defiance Industries of Furillo when his Atlas was destroyed in a Word of Blake raid in 3074.
- Kommandant Bonnie Richards of the 1st Royal Guards piloted the Defiance assigned on the right of Archon Trillian Steiner's throne in 3145. Richards became famous when she tracked and killed the Elemental who killed previous Archon Melissa Steiner before Clan Wolf could flee Tharkad.
Original Defiance from TRO:3075
- Objectives: Lyran Alliance, p.12
- Technical Readout: 3075, pp. 86-87
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged, p. 79
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge, p. 172
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged, p. 80
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge, p. 171
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged, p. 81
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge, p. 173
- BattleMech Manual, p. 91 - Design Quirk Table - Defiance Entry.
- Technical Readout: 3075, p. 86
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 124 - "Royal Guards"