- Your BattleTech News Roundup For August 2020
- MechWarrior 5 DLC, Heroes Of The Inner Sphere, Previewed In Podcasts And Streams
- MechCommander Returns As a MechWarrior 5 Mod
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For July, 2020
- The Evolution Of Long-Range Missiles In BattleTech, or Why You Should Shut Up And Love The LRM-5
- Read more →
Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
Denebola nearby systems (3151)
|X:Y Coordinates||-37.843 : -1.621[e]|
- 1 Denebola
- 2 Denebola V
- 2.1 Planetary History
- 2.2 Political Affiliation
- 2.3 Planetary Rulers
- 2.4 Military Deployment
- 2.5 Geography
- 2.6 Planetary Locations
- 2.7 Nearby Systems
- 2.8 Notes
- 2.9 References
- 2.10 Bibliography
| Jump point
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Highest native life||Mammals|
|Ruler|| Irving Al-Salhar, Governor (3130)|
Jorg Kampephos, Legate (3130)
Denebola V - more commonly known simply as Denebola to outsiders, or Everwood or Lyracropis to the local population - is the fifth planet in the system. Due to the vagaries
Denebola was one of the first colonies to declare itself independent from the Terran Alliance after the uprising on Freedom. This independence was a mixed blessing, as the population lost access to the Terran Alliance traders and support systems. In their place were a series of loose alliances and trade agreements in order to get the food and supplies they needed to survive on their cold world. Unfortunately the colony worlds that supported Denebola were also suffering from the Demarcation Declaration, and couldn't spare much. Planetary communications broke down, and poorly planned agriculture and disease wiped out many smaller settlements. Only two groups of colonists survived, one on Zadipos and the other on Neurasia. These two colonies were located on opposite sides of the world, and each isolated colony thought they were the only survivors on the planet.
Denebola was the first world targeted by the Hegemony Armed Forces when Director-General James McKenna launched the third of his "campaigns of persuasion" to bring former Terran Alliance colonies into the Hegemony; the attack on Denebola came in or around 2335. The Hegemony had already controlled Denebola once before, incorporating the system into the Hegemony around the time of the first of McKenna's campaigns of persuasion in 2316-2317, but by the time of the third campaign, the system was independent again, and notorious. When the Terran Hegemony arrived, the two colonies discovered each other. During Denebola's integration into the Hegemony a disagreement between the colonies over which one would be the capital and planetary government threatened to break out into war; the population of Denebola - or Everwood or Lyracropis, the names given to the planet by the two independent colonies - consisted of the hardiest and most stubborn of the original colonists, who had adapted to living for years in relative isolation. Hegemony negotiators proposed a confederation style government where each colony would oversee it's own internal affairs and a planetary council composed of members of both colonies would decide matters that affected the whole world. This government style worked well for many years, only being replaced by a single world government after the fall of the Star League. The population continued to maintain separate continental capitals on both continents throughout their history. It was during the Star League era that Denebola was a member of the Tyrfing Province of the Hegemony.
During the Succession Wars, the Free Worlds League and Lyran Commonwealth fought over the world several times. The influx of new immigrants and bureaucracies of the Great Houses forced Denebola to form a single world government.
First Succession War
The Free Worlds League annexed Denebola in 2785, assigning the newly-formed Thirty-fourth Marik Militia as the planetary garrison and deploying a pair of Vincent-class corvettes as a naval picket for the system. The relatively light garrison was a result of how heavily deployed the Free Worlds League Military was - a result of the combined stresses of heavy fighting on the border with the Lyran Commonwealth, the ongoing annexation of former Hegemony worlds, and the invasion of the Capellan Confederation.
The Lyran Commonwealth invaded Denebola in 2786, deploying the Fourteenth Lyran Guards as the invasion force, accompanied by a naval escort consisting of a pair of Commonwealth-class light cruisers, the LCS Odessa and LCS Porrima. Despite being outgunned, the FWLS Francisco and her sister ship gamely attempted to attack the Lyran invasion force, only for the opening volley of laser and missile fire from the Odessa to destroy the Francisco outright - at which point her sister ship fled the Denebola system, leaving the Thirty-fourth Marik Militia to attempt to resist the invasion without naval support.
The Thirty-fourth had taken up residence in the battered facilities that had once been the home base of the SLDF 282nd Mechanized Infantry Division, and were still settling in when the Lyrans invaded. At the request of Colonel Hoshi DeWitt, the commanding officer of the Fourteenth, the Odessa and Porrima moved into orbit above Denebola and subjected the Thirty-fourth's base to a two-hour orbital bombardment that destroyed more than half the Marik forces outright. Having already lost a company of forces to Hegemony guerillas, two companies of mixed armor and infantry forces from the Thirty-fourth went to ground and would spend months engaged in raids and resistance against the Fourteenth Lyran Guards, but the bulk of the survivors from the Thirty-fourth surrendered within two days of the Fourteenth's landing.
Fourth Succession War
Following the sudden invasions of several League worlds by the Tikonov Free Republic and a daringly successful invasion of Callison by mercenaries employed by the Lyran Commonwealth in mid-3029, Captain-General Janos Marik found himself in the midst of an unanticipated crisis. In addition to the conquest of Callison, LCAF communications traffic and movements had spiked sharply, creating the impression of an impending offensive against the League. Faced with what he believed to be the plausible threat of a large-scale attack aimed at the region of the League near Terra, Janos was more concerned with saving the six or seven assorted BattleMech regiments present within the region than he was with retaining the worlds, as he believed that the offensive would most likely be aimed at snipping off the corner of the League closest to Terra - and to both the Federated Suns and the Tikonov Free Republic. Denebola was one of the systems abandoned by Janos, who would learn later that he had been deceived by an effective campaign of smoke and mirrors arranged by the Commonwealth General of the Armies, Edward Regis, to deter the League from launching an invasion of the Commonwealth while the LCAF was heavily committed to its invasion of the Draconis Combine.
Denebola was invaded in the Free Worlds League's first wave of Operation GUERRERO by the Sixth Free Worlds Legionnaires, the Atrean Hussars, and the Fourth Marik Militia. The main defenders consisting of a Sarna March Militia unit were away conducting exercises on Caph with Gustafson's Grenadiers; thus, the badly outgunned planetary militia in charge of defense turned the planet over to invaders without a shot being fired.
Operation BROKEN FIST
Following the invasion of the Free Worlds League by the Skye and Bolan Provinces of the Lyran Alliance in what was termed Operation ÜBERSCHATTEN, Marshall Jeremy Brett took command of the local FWLM and launched a counteroffensive, under the name Operation BROKEN FIST. BROKEN FIST went beyond simply attempting to recapture worlds that the Lyrans had seized, striking into Lyran space at numerous worlds. Denebola was one of the worlds hit and was attacked by the League forces on the 1st of September 3068. By the 20th of September the League forces had successfully captured Denebola.
By the end of December 3079 Denebola was one of more than twenty planets to have suffered an outbreak of the Redburn Virus, and one of eight to suffer from an infection rate of more than 150 out of every 100,000 people, as well as a mortality rate of more than 30 per 100,000 from the virus. Denebola also had the unfortunate distinction of being the first planet to report a new communicable strain of the virus.
In 3095 Denebola was the location of the Interstellar Expeditions Stellar and Planetary Exploration Department office in the Republic of the Sphere. The long history of immigration on Denebola made acceptance of Devlin Stone's relocation program during the Dark Age easy for most of the inhabitants to accept, and they were rewarded by seeing their world become the capital of Prefecture VIII.
- 2236 - Terran Alliance 
- 2237 - Independent world 
- 2240 - Independent world 
- 2271 - Inhabited world 
- 2319 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2332 - Independent world 
- 2335 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2341 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2571 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2596 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2750 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2765 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2767 - Amaris Empire 
- 2771 - Amaris Empire 
- 2774 - Amaris Empire 
- 2784 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2785 - Free Worlds League 
- 2786 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2822 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2864 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3025 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3030 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3050 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3052 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3057 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3058 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3059 - Free Worlds League 
- 3063 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3067 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3068 - Free Worlds League (from September)
- 3075 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3079 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3081 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3085 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3130 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3135 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3145 - Republic of the Sphere 
- Thirty-fourth Marik Militia (pre-Lyran invasion)
- 2 Vincent-class corvettes (pre-Lyran invasion)
- Fourteenth Lyran Guards
- - At this point in time, the VIII Protectors was at 40% of full strength, with 55% of their equipment featuring upgraded technology.
Denebola has three large continents that straddle its equator. These continents - named Slovakia, Neurasia and Zadipos - were covered in forests and river systems in the thirty-second century. Most of the planetary population lived on these continents as Denebola was coming out of an ice age and the polar regions extended quite deeply into the temperate areas. The glaciers seen by the first colonists were impressive, reaching down into the higher tropical latitudes. This dramatically affected early Denebolian history.
| Closest 80 systems (80 within 60 light-years)|
Distance in light years, closest systems first:
|Afleir||13.5||Devil's Rock||13.8||Xi Ursae Majoris||13.9||Zosma||15.1|
|New Dallas||29.4||Cor Caroli||29.8||Alchiba||30.1||Wyatt||30.2|
- It was confirmed by Catalyst Game Labs that Denebola was hit on September 1st, 3068 as a part of Operation BROKEN FIST. The original entry for Timeline of the Jihad in Jihad: Final Reckoning (p. 45) stated, ""Jeremy Brett's FWLM counterattack hits Alchiba, Milton, Phecda, Alchiba and Wyatt." The second erroneous mention of Alchiba was intended to be Denebola.
The second instance of Alchiba is actually Denebola.
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130), p. 180, "Denebola World Profile"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 38, "Inner Sphere - 3145"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere - 3145"
- Interstellar Players 3: Interstellar Expeditions, p. 52
- The Star League, p. 18, "The Syrma Ambush"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 18, "Draconis Combine Founding - 2319"
- Dark Age: Republic of the Sphere, p. 18 "Prefecture VIII"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 18, "Draconis Combine Founding "
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 148, "Terran Hegemony"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere - 2596"
- First Succession War, p. 29, "Lyran Commonwealth Gains"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2, p. 87, "Conclusion"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 42, "Free Worlds League after Third Succession War "
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 51, "Free Worlds League after Fourth Succession War "
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance, p. 114
- Shattered Sphere, p. 74, "Operation GUERRERO, First Wave"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 45, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 46, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 13, "Plagued By Blake"
- Interstellar Players 3: Interstellar Expeditions, p. 12
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 16, "Free Worlds League Founding "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 13, "Lyran Commonwealth Founding "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 25, "Lyran Commonwealth after Age of War "
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 24, "Free Worlds League after Age of War "
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere - 2750"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 2765"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 104, "Rim Worlds Republic -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 138, "Operation LIBERATION Wave 1 [July 2772 - December 2774]"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 118, "Digesting The Hegemony"
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 25, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 36, "Lyran Commonwealth after First Succession War "
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 34, "Free Worlds League after First Succession War "
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 113, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 40, "Lyran Commonwealth after Second Succession War "
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 38, "Free Worlds League after Second Succession War "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 47, "Lyran Commonwealth after Third Succession War "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 56, "Lyran Commonwealth after Fourth Succession War "
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere - 3040"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 59, "Lyran Commonwealth after War of 3039 "
- Era Report: 3052, p. 10, "Inner Sphere - 3050"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 61, "Lyran Commonwealth after Clan Invasion "
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 3057"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 54, "Free Worlds League after Operation Guerrero "
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League, p. 110, "Free Worlds League Deployment Table"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, "Inner Sphere - 3063"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 177, "Lyran Alliance Deployment Table"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 70, "Lyran Alliance after FedCom Civil War "
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 56, "Free Worlds League after FedCom Civil War "
- ' Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 41, "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3067]
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 64, Inner Sphere  Map
- Field Report: LAAF, p. 19, "Lyran Alliance Armed Forces Deployment Map - August 3079"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63, "Inner Sphere - March 3081"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. vii, "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3085]"
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Era Report: 3145, p. 10, "Inner Sphere - 3135"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. 251, "SLDF - Terran Hegemony Military Command Map"
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 138, "First Succession War Deployment Table - FWLM"
- First Succession War, p. 139, "Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces (LCAF)"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 117, "Unit Deployment Table"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 137, "Deployment Table"
- 20-Year Update, p. 27
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 187, "RAF Deployment Table - 3085"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 144, "Republic Armed Forces - Principes Guards"
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130)
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report: LAAF
- First Succession War
- Handbook: House Kurita
- Handbook: House Marik
- Handbook: House Steiner
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth)
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Interstellar Players 3: Interstellar Expeditions
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 2
- Shattered Sphere
- The Star League
- Dark Age: Republic of the Sphere