- Community Outreach - Tex Talks BattleTech
- Clan Invasion Approaches $2 Million Stretch Goal, Teases UrbanMech Plushie
- What’s up with Catalyst? at GenCon 2019
- MechWarrior 5 Confirmed As Epic Games Store Exclusive
- Clan Invasion Boxed Set Funded In 7 Freakin’ Minutes, Catalyst Frantically Throwing Up Stretch Goals
- Read more →
Hope Industrial Works
|Mech type||Inner Sphere BattleMech|
|Engine||Core Tek 275|
|Communications System||Achernar Electronics HID-21|
|Targeting Tracking System||Federated Hunter Mk. II|
|Jump Jets||Swingline X-1000|
At the higher end of the medium class, the Dervish is a highly mobile fire support BattleMech. Commissioned in 2520 by the Lyran Commonwealth, the Dervish has a maximum speed of 86.4 km/h, letting it keep up with and support most Succession Wars-era medium and light models. Five jump jets also gives the 'Mech a jumping capability of one hundred and fifty meters, allowing it to move through rough terrain with ease; these were originally an afterthought in the design but have proven their worth. While regarded by some as a poor man's Archer, the Dervish's speed and weaponry nevertheless allow it to provide quick fire support and free larger 'Mechs for other duties. The design's major flaws are its armoring which, while sufficient to handle small and medium weapons, is inadequate against heavier firepower and its lack of hand actuators.
The Dervish was among the first 'Mechs mass-produced by the Great Houses and has served as a workhorse for their armies since its introduction. It was eventually commissioned into the Star League Defense Force during the Reunification War, with the Terran Hegemony providing funds to allow their original model Dervishes be upgraded to the DV-6M standard in 2610. Its service in the SLDF ensured the widespread proliferation of the design; even ComStar Explorer Corps missions into the Deep Periphery have found examples of original-model Dervishes among the forces of Nueva Castile. Over the course of the Succession Wars however the 'Mech's numbers decreased due to loss or lack of parts, and all but one of Achernar's factories was destroyed. Though it could still be found throughout the Inner Sphere by the end of the Third Succession War, only the Federated Suns maintained production of the venerable design.
The 'Mech remained one of the Suns' most common medium-weight machines, being particularly popular with the Avalon Hussars, and was earmarked for use by several newly-forming Federated Commonwealth regiments after the Fourth Succession War. However interest in the design began to wane in later years, and while the 7D refit of 3047 with its use of lostech generated higher sales Achernar was forced to heavily lobby House Davion to keep buying them. Ironically the run-up to the FedCom Civil War and the conflict itself was enough to increase demand and prevent the company from re-tooling its Dervish lines. In the wake of the civil war the Federated Suns continued purchasing upgraded Dervishes while the Lyran Alliance adopted the Griffin. Older models can be found in militia and reserve units in other armies, while small mercenary outfits have found the 'Mech to be durable and easy to maintain.
During the Jihad a number of manufacturers began manufacturing "RetroTech" 'Mechs using details of the original production standard of Primitive 'Mech designs; one of the designs that was reintroduced to service as a part of this RetroTech manufacturing production was the original Dervish, with companies such as Sword of the Prophet Enterprises of Algedi producing Primitive Dervishes; production at some sites continued beyond 3079.
Weapons and Equipment
The Dervish carries as its main weapons two Federated 10-Shot LRM launchers. These missile launchers give the Dervish the long-range capability needed to provide fire support to friendly units and are safely embedded in the torso as opposed to the exposed launchers on other 'Mechs. A ton of ammunition per launcher provides sufficient endurance for any but the most prolonged battles. For close combat, the Dervish carries two Federated 2-Shot SRM launchers and two ChisComp 39 Medium Lasers. The SRM launchers are completely self-contained within the forearms, allowing them to be aimed quickly, and fed by a ton of ammunition each. The lasers are placed just above the launchers and ensure the 'Mech is still capable of fighting should it run out of missiles. The Dervish is capable of jumping 150 meters and is protected by seven and a half tons of armor.
- The original version of the Dervish that was produced in 2520 was not up to the same standards as contemporary Terran Hegemony designs. The use of comparatively "primitive" parts resulted in a heavier cockpit, engine, and less efficient armor. Consequently, the 1S had a top speed of 64 km/h and could only jump ninety meters. While the missile launchers were the same as the 6M, it did not have that version's lasers. 1S variants continued to exist in militias, but were raided for parts during the Succession Wars. It was not intended for front line use, but for Militia units. Though there were few, if any, remaining by the end of the 2990s, they once again began to be produced on low-tech worlds during the Jihad due to that conflict's disruption of supply lines. BV (2.0) = 858
- The 7D Dervish is a 3047 upgrade of the design using Star League technology. The 'Mech is built with an Endo Steel chassis and also uses eight tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor with CASE for protection against ammunition explosions. With the saved weight, the SRM-2s have been upgraded to Federated SuperStreak SRMs and the 'Mech uses double heat sinks. This variant was first produced by Achernar BattleMechs on New Avalon. BV (1.0) = 1,328, BV (2.0) = 1,412
- The 8D Dervish utilizes some of the newest technologies available at the time of the variant's introduction in 3062. The 'Mech is built with an Endo Steel chassis and is powered by an extralight engine. It also carries two more tons of armor than the 6M model. The weapons carried by the 8D are two LRM-15 launchers with an Artemis IV fire control system, while the SRM launchers and medium lasers were removed for four ER Medium Lasers. BV (1.0) = 1,415, BV (2.0) = 1,765
- This upgrade of the -8D introduced in 3068 removes the missile launchers and replaces them with four MML 5s with five tons of ammunition to provide flexibility in the usage of munitions. The saved tonnage was used to add an additional double heat sink, though the heat management system can be quickly overtaxed at short range. Eleven and a half tons of armor improves the 'Mech's durability and a Targeting Computer was added to aid the accuracy of the lasers. BV (2.0) = 1,518
- DV-8D2 Dervish "Lightbringer"
- The Dervish Lightbringer is a heavily customized 'Mech designed for close combat in the Solaris arenas. A deadly close-in fighter, the Lightbringer has recently been seen fighting in grudge matches across the Free Worlds League. After removing the standard armament and jump jets from a DV-8D, Nikos Matapoulous installed eight Improved Jump Jets in the legs and torso, and each arm is now equipped with a pair of ER Medium Lasers and a Snub-Nose PPC. A helmet of Spikes, arranged in a crown, protects the 'Mech's head from melee attacks, and a pair of Coolant Pods helps shed the massive heat load from the Lightbringer's arsenal. BV (2.0) = 1,658.
- DV-6M Dervish "Mauck"
- The customized 'Mech of fierce Azami warrior Ukla Mauck, Mauck stripped the missile launchers from his 'Mech and replaced them with a trio of MRM-10s. The further addition of Triple Strength Myomers makes Mauck's nearly 200-year old Dervish a terror in close-range combat. 
From MechWarrior Online:
- A PGI invented variant, the 7P is a Medium Range Missile Boat, carrying an MRM-20 and MRM-10 in each arm, supported by a Medium Laser in each arm and side torso. Such a heavy loadout while retaining the Dervish's usual seven and half tons of armor and five jump jets is made possible with an 275 rated extralight engine and Endo Steel frame. The 7P is fitted with ten double heat sinks and carries a combined four tons of MRM reloads.
- DV-FR Frenzy
- MechWarrior Online's Dervish Hero 'Mech, the Frenzy is built around an 275-rated extralight engine and an Endo Steel frame, carrying an SRM-4 in each arm in support of LRM-20 in each side torso. Clad in seven and half tons of standard armor and fitted with five jump jets and ten double heat sinks, the Frenzy carries two tons each of LRM and SRM missile reloads.
Hellspawn - The Hellspawn was created by General Motors to replace the design for the Davion half of Federated Commonwealth.
MechWarrior Online art of the Dervish
- Technical Readout: 3039, pp. 140-141
- Technical Readout: 3025, p. 62
- Jihad Secrets: the Blake Documents, p. 151
- Era Digest: Age of War, p. 11
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 151, "DV-1S 'Primitive' Dervish"
- Technical Readout: 3025 Revised, p. 64
- Technical Readout: 3050, p. 126
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised, p. 116-117
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p. 62
- -6M MUL listing
- Objectives: Draconis Combine, p. 34, "Sword of the Prophet Enterprises"
- Objectives: Draconis Combine, p. 4, "State of the Industry at a Glance (Dec 3079)"
- Introductory Record Sheets, p. 15
- Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Volume 3, p. 5
- -1S MUL listing
- Era Report: 2750, p. 129
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 190
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New, p. 83
- -6Mr MUL listing
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, pp. 62-63
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade (Inner Sphere), p. 114
- Combat Operations, p. 127
- -7D MUL listing
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade (Inner Sphere), p. 115
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 95
- -8D MUL listing
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades (Inner Sphere), p. 116
- -9D MUL listing
- Experimental Technical Readout: Pirates, p. 6
- Kit deSummersville, Freelance BattleTech Writer, 16 July 2013
- MechWarrior Online Dervish Sale Page
- Era Report: 2750
- Experimental Technical Readout: Pirates
- Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Volume 3
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Master Unit List: Battle Values
- MechWarrior Online Dervish sale Page
- Objectives: Draconis Combine
- Record Sheets: 3025/3026
- Record Sheets: 3050
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade (Inner Sphere)
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Inner Sphere)
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New
- Record Sheets: Upgrades
- Starterbook: Sword and Dragon
- Starterbook: Wolf and Blake
- Technical Readout: 3025
- Technical Readout: 3025 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3039
- Technical Readout: 3050
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: 3085