- MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Has Arrived - Here's What You Can Expect
- The 'Mech That Looks Most Like A Turkey
- Community Outreach - How Michael Todd Met Robert N. Charrette
- Community Outreach - The Robert N. Charrette Collection
- New Heavy Metal Trailer For HBS’ BattleTech Reveals New ‘Mech: The Bull Shark
- Read more →
|Epona Pursuit Vehicle|
|Manufacturer||Niles Industriplex Alpha|
|Armor||Compound VM20 Ferro-Fibrous|
|Communications System||Build 1700/5 Tacticom|
|Targeting Tracking System||Series XL FWS|
Unlike most Clan combat vehicles, the Epona Pursuit Tank is only produced by Clan Hell's Horses. As that Clan tends to favor traditional armor more than other Clans, they were the first to see the value in modifying the technology used in OmniMechs to create an OmniVehicle. As such, the Epona is considered a front-line unit and sees service in the most prestigious Galaxies of the Horses. It is only the Clan bias towards 'Mechs and their own hubris that keeps them from using the Epona, or other OmniVehicles.
As its name implies, the Epona is a fast vehicle that can chase down opponents and serve as a scout. In order to increase its survivability, the Epona is built on the largest hovercraft frame possible. It is still speedy, however, topping out at 150 km/h. This speed comes at the price of armor, as only five tons of Ferro-Fibrous weave protect the tank.
Weapons and Equipment
The primary configuration of the Epona is meant for close-quarters combat. Four Medium Pulse Lasers provide accurate damage that even most 'Mechs will have to worry about. A Streak SRM-4 enables the Epona to act as a vehicle-killer and to damage exposed critical systems. All of the armament is located in the vehicle's turret.
- Alt. Config. A
- The second most popular configuration of the Epona carries a pair of LRM-20s in its turret. Four tons of ammunition keeps the Epona in supply through most Trials. To supplement this support variant, the A mounts paired ER Medium Lasers in the front. Next to those lasers is a TAG that enables the Epona A to call in heavy artillery support. BV (1.0) = 1,741, BV (2.0) = 1,976
- Alt. Config. B
- Meant for use in open terrain, the Epona B carries a large gun in the form of an Ultra Autocannon/10 that is in the turret. It is supplemented by two Streak SRM-4s in the vehicle's front that can exploit any holes that the autocannon makes in an enemy's armor. BV (1.0) = 1,022, BV (2.0) = 1,255
- Alt. Config. C
- The Epona C is a mix between a cavalry, spotter, and fire support vehicle. The turret carries both an ER PPC that is useful at all ranges and a Streak SRM-6 that the gunner can fire with no fear of wasting ammunition. This variant also mounts a TAG, but in addition, makes use of an ECM Suite to protect it from enemy electronics. BV (1.0) = 1,322, BV (2.0) = 1,563
- MUL online date for the Epona
- Combat Operations, p. 114
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 79
- Technical Readout: 3060, pp. 54-55, "Epona Vehicle Profile"
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 80
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 81
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 82
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 83 - D Configuration of the Epona.
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 84 - E configuration of the Epona OmniVehicle.