|Manufacturer||Defiance Industries of Hesperus II|
|Mech type||Inner Sphere BattleMech|
|Chassis||Foundation Type 220 Endo Steel|
|Armor||Durallex Special Heavy V2 with CASE|
|Communications System||Angst Discom /w Guardian ECM|
|Targeting Tracking System||Angst Accuracy|
|Heat Sinks||10 Double Heat Sinks|
The Fafnir can be considered Defiance Industries of Hesperus' flagship BattleMech. (Originally the Defiance was intended to be that flagship 'Mech, but its actions tainted its reputation so it was overshadowed in this role by the Fafnir).
The Fafnir is built on a lightweight Foundation Type 220 Endo Steel chassis that is capable of supporting the Fafnir's massive weapons payload and armor while weighing half as much as a standard chassis. The slow assault design serves as a platform for the pair of "Thor's Hammers" Heavy Gauss Rifles. To power this massive 'Mech, a Vlar 300 fusion engine gives the Fafnir a top speed of 54 km/h. The Fafnir is protected by nineteen and a half tons of Durallex Special Heavy V2 armor, giving it almost as much armor as the entire mass of some light 'Mechs. The Fafnir has CASE in both of its side torsos to protect it from secondary damage if one of the heavy Gauss rifles are damaged. Finally, for protection from enemy electronic warfare systems, the Fafnir has a Guardian ECM Suite.
Weapons and Equipment
Based on the heaviest chassis available, the Fafnir sports two of what was the Lyran Alliance's newest weapon in the early 3060s, the Heavy Gauss Rifle. The largest non-artillery weapon in existence, the Hammerfists can deal an immense amount of damage very quickly. Four tons of ammunition for each keep the weapons in good supply. The Fafnir cannot operate far from supply lines, however, as it only has two ER Medium Lasers and a Medium Pulse Laser as backup.
- A lack of Thor's Hammers during the FedCom Civil War forced engineers to come up with a field modification that could be useful without the Heavy Gauss Rifles. The solution was to replace them with paired standard Gauss Rifles, ER Medium Lasers, and an ER Large Laser. The added energy weapons reduce the 5B's ammo dependency compared to the original, but even with extra heatsinks installed it can still run quite hot so MechWarriors must be mindful of their heat levels. BV (1.0) = 2,230, BV (2.0) = 2,625
- This variant removes all the standard weaponry. It carries an Ultra Autocannon/20 in each arm, while the side torsos each mount a pair of Light PPCs. A Light Fusion Engine is used to provide power, and Light Ferro-Fibrous armor provides protection. Twelve Double Heat Sinks are hardly enough to keep this variant's heat under control. BV(2.0)=2,234
- This variant makes use of a pair of massive experimental Improved Heavy Gauss Rifles, and removes the pulse laser to provide six tons of ammunition for the two guns. The ER Medium Lasers are left untouched. These models were used by the Skye Guards during the Coalition attack on Terra. BV (2.0) = 2,610
- FNR-4A Fafnir Peter
- This was a salvaged command 'Mech piloted by Archon Peter Steiner-Davion during the occupation of Tharkad from 3067 to early 3072. This customization removes the left torso Heavy Gauss Rifle, half the ammo for the HGRs, the left torso CASE, and the ER Medium Lasers. It has been fitted with ten Rocket Launcher 10s. Also in the left torso are two Extended Range Large Lasers. In each of the arms and in the head, a Medium Pulse Laser been added. It makes use of a Compact Gyro, making room for one of the ten launchers, a Guardian ECM Suite, and a C3 Slave Computer. BV (2.0) = 2,458
These variants were introduced in MechWarrior Online, and thus far have not appeared in any canonical media.
- The first PGI invented variant, the 5E is more focused on Missile and Ballistic weapons, the arms are affixed with a pair of LRM 5 and LRM 10 while in each torso carries an Ultra Autocannon/20, making this 'Mech a deadly adversary at both short and long range. Lacking any energy weaponry, the 5E carries four tons of Ultra autocannon rounds and three tons of LRM missiles.
- The second PGI invented variant, the 6R focuses on a mixture of Snub-Nose PPC's and LB 5-X AC's. The PPC's take positions in the Arms and Torso locations while the Autocannons are located in the right and left torso respectively. Giving this variant a deadly combination of both energy and ballistic capability, and able to put out serious withering fire. The 6R carries two tons of LBX reloads and single ton of missiles for the efficient Streak launcher.
- FNR-WR Wrath
- The Fafnir Hero 'Mech is PGI's take on Archon Peter Steiner-Davion's custom variant listed above. With MWO lacking Compact Gyros and C3 systems, as well as PGI seeking to restrict its missile hardpoints, the Wrath carries a mere four Rocket Launcher 15s, one in each arm and two more in the left torso, replacing the Endo Steel frame for Ferro-Fibrous armor instead with an extra ton of Heavy Gauss ammo carried in the right arm. The remaining weaponry and equipment matches the 4A custom.
- Peter Steiner-Davion - During the campaign for Tharkad at the end of the FedCom Civil War, Peter Steiner-Davion led his pan-Lyran coalition from the seat of a brand new Fafnir. During the climactic street-to-street fighting in Tharkad City, he used it to defeat his great-aunt Nondi Steiner in a one-on-one fight. He later used a salvaged Fafnir during the siege of Tharkad that took place during the early part of the Jihad.
- Steven Blasegga - The Hauptmann of the Second Royal Guards stood permanent guard outside the Royal Court as of 3145. Blasegga was considered the best shot in the Second, shooting down a Clan Wolf Leopard CV with his paired Gauss rifles.
Original Fafnir from FM:LA
FNR-5 Fafnir from TRO:3067
Model of Fafnir from MW4:Mercenaries
Model of Fafnir from MWO
- MUL online date for the Fafnir
- Technical Readout: 3067, p. 101
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 175
- Operation Excalibur Ch. 19
- Combat Operations, p. 131
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 176
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 177
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 178
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 191
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New, p. 121
- Jihad Turning Points: Tharkad, p. 2, 13. The record sheet includes a hand actuator where it should have the fourteenth endo-steel slot.
- MechWarrior Online "Fafnir Sale Page"
- Jihad Turning Points: Tharkad, p. 2
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 124, "Royal Guards"