|Inner Sphere Military Ranks|
|For specific ranks see Military Ranks|
Depending on the faction, officers holding this rank typically command battalions or act as the executive officer of a larger formation. They also act as staff officers, handling logistics, intelligence, etc. for their units.
- 1 SLDF
- 2 Lyran Commonwealth and Lyran Alliance
- 3 Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery
- 4 Armed Forces of the Federated Suns
- 5 Capellan Confederation
- 6 Free Worlds League
- 7 The Clans
- 8 ComStar/Word of Blake
- 9 Free Rasalhague Republic
- 10 Magistracy of Canopus
- 11 Taurian Defense Force
- 12 Marian Hegemony
- 13 Outworlds Alliance
- 14 Hanseatic League
- 15 Umayyad Caliphate
- 16 Castilian Principalities
- 17 Aurigan Coalition Military
- 18 Mercenary
- 19 Notes
- 20 References
- 21 Bibliography
In the SLDF, majors were regular army battalion commanders and led their troops from the front. This led to them having more experience than their house army counterparts. In the Star League Navy, a Major commanded destroyers or JumpShips transporting troops or cargo.
In the Second SLDF, a naval officer at this rank was called Captain, and commanded a small WarShip, a transport JumpShip, or a wing of aerospace pilots. This naval rank was a new feature of the second SLDF, and a radical departure from the first.
A Major's rank insignia was the same for both SLDF incarnations: A Captain's double green bars with a silver pip between them.
|Rank||Insignia (First SLDF)||Insignia (Second SLDF)|
Lyran Commonwealth and Lyran Alliance
Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery
|Rank||MechWarrior||Aerospace pilot||Infantry||Armor||Artillery||Naval crew
Draconis Combine Admiralty
Armed Forces of the Federated Suns
In the AFFS a major typically commands a battalion, though elite tank and BattleMech companies were sometimes commanded by a major. Majors use epaulettes with one broad base across the bottom as their symbol of rank.
|Rank||MechWarrior||Aerospace pilot||Infantry||Armor||Naval crew||Technical
Prior to Sun-Tzu Liao's ascension to the Celestial Throne, majors in the CCAF either commanded a 'Mech battalion or a regiment of three air squadrons. Staff officers with this rank often served in diplomatic, and logistic roles for the Senior Colonels that oversaw a Capellan Confederation commonality. The commanding officer of a Capellan Home Guard regiment was typically a major. As part of the Xin Sheng movement, Sun-Tzu Liao implemented a new system of ranks that used traditional Chinese names and brought the CCAF ranks in line with the militaries of other Successor States. Officers holding the rank of major under the older system became Zhong-shaos or Lieutenant Colonels. Sao-shao is the rank used for Major after the Xin Sheng movement was implemented. The Sao-shao rank insignia is a brass bar with two silver pips.
Free Worlds League
The FWLM is unique in the Inner Sphere because the militaries of the three largest provinces were integrated into one whole, but each province's military retained their existing rank structure until recently. This had meant that officers from the Marik Commonwealth could not have the rank of major, as those units used Force Commander but officers from the Duchies of Andurien and Oriente could hold the rank of major. Following the reforms of Captain-General Thomas Marik, the FWLM rank structure was streamlined and the rank of Force Commander formally replaced the rank of Major. Regardless of the rank's name, FWLM officers who held it would command battalions, or garrison units that were smaller than regimental size. Prior to the Succession Wars, officers with this rank would command marines aboard DropShips, JumpShips, and WarShips.
In the post–Clan Invasion FWLM Navy, an officer with the rank of Force Commander is known as a Commander. Typically they serve as the executive officer of an FWLM Navy vessel. Sometimes a Commander will serve as the commanding officer of a JumpShip or DropShip while gaining the experience needed to be promoted to Captain.
The Clans do not use the rank of Major. Instead a Clan warrior would have the rank of Star Captain or Star Colonel, depending on the situation. Some Clans however, notably Clan Hell's Horses, use the rank of Nova Captain to indicate a warrior who leads a Nova or Supernova.
ComStar/Word of Blake
In the Com Guards and Word of Blake Militia, the equivalent rank would be Demi-Precentor or Adept, depending on the soldier's time of service. ComStar Adepts use a ComStar logo with a blue halo to show their rank, while Demi-Precentor's insignia use a red-yellow-blue halo. Word of Blake Adepts use a silver medallion, while Demi-Precentors use a gold medallion with silver branch of service letter. Insignia shows theta symbol, indicating JumpShip/WarShip crew. Other service branches replace theta with appropriate Greek letter.
|Rank||Com Guards Insignia||Word of Blake Militia Insignia|
Free Rasalhague Republic
Magistracy of Canopus
A Magistracy Armed Forces Major is a battalion commander, a position worth 24,000-45,000 C-bills but which requires the approval of the Magestrix. Prior to its reorganization, Majors could command battalions or regiments as brevet majors, but under the new MAF they may only command battalions. In the Navy, this officer rank is known as Comcapt, a combination of Commodore and Captain. Formerly they were able to command a flotilla of ships, but now only command single vessels. A Major's rank insignia is a single gold diamond, while a Comcapt's is a single gold diamond surrounded by a wreath.
Taurian Defense Force
A Brigadier in the Taurian Defense Force serves either as the commander of a 'Mech battalion or the executive officer of a conventional regiment and among the support branches. In the TDF Navy, officers who hold this rank are known as an Air Master, Senior Grade or Air Master, SG and either serves as a ship's executive officer or commands an air division. Their rank insignia is a single gold ring with a small "horn" on the left side.
This rank isn't used by the Marian Legions. With their focus on recreating the Roman Empire, battalion commanders hold the rank of Legatus, Latin for deputy, officer, or legion commander. To show their rank, they wear a silver triangle with a black triangle in it, topped by a silver star.
Aurigan Coalition Military
Arms of Thor
- Ranks, when not preceding a name, are not capitalized.
- Ex: The major stood and rendered a salute to General DeChavilier.
- Non-English ranks, with the exception of those used by the Federated Suns or Lyrans, are italicized.
- The Star League, p. 103
- Field Manual: ComStar, p. 80
- The Star League, p. 113
- Field Manual: ComStar
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 117
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), pp. 124, 129
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 128
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 71
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 85
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 86
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League, p. 22
- Field Manual: ComStar, p. 66
- Field Manual: Periphery, p. 25
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 86
- The Periphery, p. 74
- Field Manual: Periphery, p. 54
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 112
- Field Manual: Periphery, p. 73
- Field Manual: Periphery, p. 88
- Field Manual: Periphery, p. 14: "Periphery Comparative Rank Table"
- House Arano (The Aurigan Coalition), p. 26
- The Periphery, 2nd Edition: "Note: This is a Swedish term translating to 'over (a) captain'"
- Per Line Developer Ray Arrastia, 02Aug2022 (screencap)
- Field Manual: Capellan Confederation
- Field Manual: ComStar
- Field Manual: Draconis Combine
- Field Manual: Federated Suns
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance
- Field Manual: Periphery
- House Arano (The Aurigan Coalition)
- House Davion (The Federated Suns)
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine)
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation)
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League)
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth)
- The Star League