4th Canopian Light Horse
- Community Outreach - The Robert N. Charrette Collection
- New Heavy Metal Trailer For HBS’ BattleTech Reveals New ‘Mech: The Bull Shark
- You Can Now Play MechWarrior 2 And MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries On Your Browser... Sort Of
- Talking BattleTech Fiction with Philip A. Lee
- Community Outreach - Tex Talks BattleTech
- Read more →
|4th Canopian Light Horse|
|Unit Profile (as of 2586)|
|Parent Formation||Chasseurs á Cheval|
The 4th Canopian Light Horse regiment was a unit within the Magistracy Armed Forces and formed a part of the brigade known as the Chasseurs á Cheval until its destruction during the Reunification War. Originally founded to protect the world of Canopus IV, prior to the Reunification War the primary duty of the 4th Light Horse had been anti-terrorist operations, but that would soon change.
The 4th Light Horse spent the first four years of the war between the Magistracy of Canopus and the Star League as a part of the garrison on the Magistracy capital of Canopus IV, before being deployed for their first large-scale combat action on the world of Royal Foxx. The 4th Light Horse fought alongside their sister regiment from the Chasseurs á Cheval, the 1st Canopian Light Horse, and at this point in the war the MAF was trying to preserve its strength as the campaign slowly tipped against them. The Star League Defense Force and their supporting auxiliary troops from the Free Worlds League Military had been stung and surprised by the MAF early in the war, and the SLDF task force commander had changed tactics in response, attacking worlds with overwhelming numbers of troops. As a result the two Chasseurs á Cheval regiments were heavily outnumbered on Royal Foxx by the invading SLDF troops, as an entire ad hoc division was thrown against them - the combined forces of the 59th Brigade and the 61st and 62nd Royal Brigades. The two Canopian regiments contested the invasion, but couldn't prevent it and were forced to retreat. Following the retreat from Royal Foxx, the 4th Light Horse were redeployed to the world of Megarez.
Krimari was one of a small number of worlds settled in the handful of years between the end of the Age of War and the beginning of the SLDF campaign against the Magistracy, and was initially unknown to the Star League forces. By 2583, the SLDF was aware of the existence of several previously hidden worlds, including Krimari, and troops were assigned to capture the planet as part of a wave of attacks following the catastrophic naval losses the MAF had taken at Tetski. Krimari was conquered quickly by VII Corps' 59th Brigade supported by the 3rd and 4th Brigades of the Fusiliers of Oriente in late 2583, despite the 4th Light Horse contesting the invasion in the face of six to one odds against them.
The 4th was defending Candiear along with the 2nd Canopian Light Horse and Buquoy's Bandits when the SLDF tasked more than a division of troops to invade the world in 2585, a year after the conquest of Canopus IV. The SLDF landed the VII Corps' 56th Brigade, 61st Royal Brigade and 62nd Royal Brigade on Candiear along with the 4th Marik Militia, 2nd Oriente Hussars and 3rd Regulan Hussars in support. The MAF troops contested the invasion but were forced to retreat.
The last battle of the Reunification War for the 4th Light Horse and their sister regiment the 1st Light Horse was on the world of Palladix in 2586. Although the SLDF was largely mopping up isolated worlds that refused to surrender, the two Canopian regiments bitterly contested the conquest of Palladix; facing the VII Corps' 55th Brigade with the Juggernaut regiment of the Stewart Dragoons in support, the two MAF regiments fought until they were effectively destroyed.
The 4th Canopian Light Horse was one of two regiments within the Chasseurs á Cheval to be completely destroyed during the Reunification War. Although the MAF rebuilt over the next few centuries, the Magistracy lacked the funding to rebuild the Chasseurs to three regiments until the 3050s, and as of 3063 the MAF was raising new regiments rather than rebuilding the 4th Light Horse, despite the Chasseurs á Cheval being the senior brigade of the MAF.
|Commanding Officers of the 4th Canopian Light Horse|
- Field Manual: Periphery, p. 26, "Chasseurs á Cheval"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 100-101, "Eleusis, Obrenovac and Bethnolog (March 2579-January 2580)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 148, "Magistracy Of Canopus Front(Jump-Off - 2582)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 101, "Reversals (2582-2583)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 150, "Magistracy Of Canopus Front(Jump-Off - 2582)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 103, "Endgame (2583-2584)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 149, "Magistracy Of Canopus Front (2583-2588)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 151, "Magistracy Of Canopus Front (2583-2588)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 105, "Mopping Up (2584-2588)"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 183, "Chasseurs à Cheval"