Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
Gacrux nearby systems
|X:Y Coordinates||-86.503 : 10.72[e]|
- 1 System Description
- 2 System History
- 3 Gacrux III
- 3.1 Planetary History
- 3.2 Political Affiliation
- 3.3 Planetary Rulers
- 3.4 Military Deployment
- 3.5 Geography
- 3.6 Planetary Locations
- 3.7 Map Gallery
- 3.8 Nearby Systems
- 3.9 References
- 3.10 Bibliography
|Moons||2 (Marcera & Worsca)|
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Highest native life||Plants|
|Ruler||Georgio Quentin, Governor (3130)|
Yitzahk Faquir, Legate (3130)
Gacrux III - more commonly known simply as Gacrux - is the third planet in the system and has two moons named Marcera and Worsca.
Gacrux was on its way to extinction when it was colonized, but the colonists had been drawn to the planet by the abundant quantities of ores and minerals available, including radioactive materials and precious metals. The early colonists founded the majority of their settlements around the two large freshwater oceans on the planet and Gacrux became a notable industrial world despite the nutrient-poor soil and lack of water. Soon after the Terran Alliance collapsed, Gacrux joined the Federation of Skye.
As the Free Worlds League expanded, Gacrux became the target for numerous raids, prompting the population of Gacrux to be hugely supportive of the Federation of Skye; joining the Tamar Pact and the Protectorate of Donegal, to form the new Lyran Commonwealth in the mid Twenty-fourth century. The population of Gacrux swiftly gained a reputation for their outstanding loyalty to the Commonwealth.
The loyalty of the Gacrux population to House Steiner became something of a hindrance during the Succession Wars, as their loyalty and nationalism warped into a kind of xenophobia. Gacrux was one of the most vocal opponents of the alliance with the Federated Suns that led to the Federated Commonwealth; and the Brotherhood of Cincinnatus, a Lyran nationalist movement with ties to terrorism, maintained a facility on the world for many years. Militia forces on Gacrux were well-known for constantly lobbying for the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces to take military action against the League.
Fourth Succession War
In October 3028 the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces repositioned a number of frontline units as the Free Worlds League Military launched Operation DAGGER. One of the units repositioned was the Hsien Hotheads mercenary command, who were relocated to Gacrux; the LCAF strategic intent wasn't to prevent a League invasion, but rather to make invading forces pay more dearly for any gains and slow the progress of any breakthrough.
During the Jihad, Gacrux was attacked by forces loyal to the Free Worlds League. These FWLM units were tricked into attacking the world after Word of Blake forces struck them under false colors. This attack led to Gacrux's defenders being hopelessly outnumbered when the Word of Blake arrived later and offered Gacrux a place in the Word of Blake Protectorate.
Gacrux was the second world to be targeted by the Lyran front of Operation SCOUR in late January 3077; troops under the command of Duke Robert Kelswa-Steiner liberated the nearby world of Cor Caroli in a week before attacking Gacrux. Attacked by Group III, the attack on Gacrux nearly stalled when the commanding officers of the Sixth Benjamin Regulars, First Federated Suns Lancers and Thirty-first Marik Militia were all killed in a targeted strike, as the Word of Blake intended to remove the command organization of Group III. This left Leutnant-General Thomas Hogarth in charge of Group III, and under Hogarth, the Group liberated Gacrux by May, although Hogarth was reticent to confirm details of how or what the next objective for Group III would be when interviewed later by the press.
The Dark Age
In 3104, the leadership of the shadowy organization known as the Brotherhood of Cincinnatus was destroyed on Gacrux. The Brotherhood's leadership had been targeted by a sustained military campaign conducted by the LCAF at the orders of Archon Adam Steiner following a failed attempt to assassinate Hanse Steiner, the mentally handicapped son of Peter Steiner-Davion and Marie Hussfield, in 3098. Adam led the First Royal Guards and Fourteenth Lyran Guards personally on Gacrux, having received permission from Devlin Stone to cross the border of the Republic of the Sphere in pursuit of the Brotherhood. Under the relocation programs ordered by Devlin Stone, new settlers were brought to Gacrux, and efforts were made to rebuild the administrative and industrial complexes ravaged by the Jihad as well as rebuilding the damaged cities. This combination of efforts made Gacrux a thriving member of the Republic of the Sphere, but many of the locals continued to cling to the xenophobic beliefs of their ancestors.
- 2271 - Inhabited world 
- 2340 - Federation of Skye 
- 2341 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2571 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2596 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2750 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2764 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2765 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2786 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2822 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2864 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3025 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3030 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3050 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3052 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3057 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3063 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3067 - Lyran Alliance 
- 3075 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3076 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3081 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3085 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3135 - Independent world 
- 3145 - Wolf Empire 
- Gacrux FTM
- - At this point in time, the VIII Principes was at 65% of full strength, with 86% of their equipment featuring upgraded technology.
Gacrux has two large freshwater oceans named Praddis and Umberholdt. As the system primary continues to age, Gacrux grows colder with each passing century.
|Closest 64 systems (62 within 60 light-years)|
Distance in light years, closest systems first:
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130), p. 182, "Gacrux World Profile"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere - 3145"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere - 3145"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 16, "Free Worlds League Founding "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 13, "Federation of Skye world within the Lyran Commonwealth before  and after at their founding in "
- Dark Age: Republic of the Sphere, p. 18 "Prefecture VIII"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. 255, "SLDF - Lyran Commonwealth Military Command Map"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 63, "Overview"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 56, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 27, "We Have Met The Enemy"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 119, "Reconstruction"
- Era Digest: Dark Age, p. 4 "Functional Republic HPGs as of 01 January 3135"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 25, "Lyran Commonwealth after Age of War "
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere - 2750"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. vii, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 2765"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 24-25, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 36, "Lyran Commonwealth after First Succession War "
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 122-123, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 112-113, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 40, "Lyran Commonwealth after Second Succession War "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 47, "Lyran Commonwealth after Third Succession War "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 56, "Lyran Commonwealth after Fourth Succession War "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 59, "Lyran Commonwealth after War of 39 "
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere - 3040"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 3050"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 61, "Lyran Commonwealth after Clan Invasion "
- Era Report: 3052, p. 23, "Inner Sphere - 3052"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 12, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 70, "Lyran Commonwealth after FedCom Civil War -  Nao"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 42-43, "Inner Sphere - October 3067"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 63, "Inner Sphere - 3075"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 64, "Inner Sphere Map - [March 3081]"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. vii, "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3085]"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 10, "Inner Sphere - 3135"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. 255, "SLDF - Lyran Commonwealth Military Command Map"
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 139, "First Succession War Deployment Table - LCAF"
- 20-Year Update, p. 27
- Shattered Sphere, p. 48, "Lyran Alliance Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 177, "Lyran Alliance Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 187, "RAF Deployment Table - 3085"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 170, "Clan Force Deployments - Wolf Empire"
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130)
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Manual: Updates
- First Succession War (Source Book)
- Handbook: House Marik
- Handbook: House Steiner
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1
- Shattered Sphere
- Dark Age: Republic of the Sphere