- This article is about the OmniMech. For the WarShip, see Gauntlet (Vessel).
|Manufacturer||Coventry Metal Works|
|'Mech type||Inner Sphere OmniMech|
|Chassis||Coventry GTL-Flex endo steel|
|Armor||Lexington Limited Light Ferro-Fibrous|
|Engine||Defiance 275 Light|
|Communications System||Cyclops 24XS Adaptable|
|Targeting Tracking System||Cyclops Special Limited|
|Heat Sinks||10 double|
|Speed||86 km/h (108 km/h with MASC)|
Its name alluding to the insignia of the Lyran Commonwealth, the Gauntlet is a medium OmniMech that was manufactured for the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces. It was designed as a swift cavalry unit capable of keeping up with lighter 'Mechs while also being able to bring the flexibility and firepower of a medium 'Mech.
The genesis of the Gauntlet stems from both Archon Adam Steiner's proposal for development of a medium OmniMech intended to honor the Lyran spirit and Coventry Metal Works' purchase of the plans for the Bushwacker in the wake of the Jihad. Despite this, a troubled development cycle marred by persistent technical issues and heavy opposition from many members of the LCAF's senior generals for such a medium-weight design would delay the introduction of the Gauntlet to 3128, almost 30 years after the Archon's initial proposal. 
Despite the heavy disdain for the 'Mech from within LCAF High Command, they were not willing to challenge the late Archon's desire for a exclusively Lyran 'Mech and permit export of the Gauntlet. Thus, while the most prestigious Social General infested LCAF regiments normally first in line for an OmniMech would pass over the 'Mech, the Gauntlet would end up reaching more regular commands which welcomed the design, especially the LCAF's lightning companies.
Aside from visually resembling its Clan Invasion progenitor, the Gauntlet shares a similar frame and various other components with modern Bushwacker models, allowing both Coventry Metal Works and TharHes Industries to reduce costs for both designs through economies of scale.
Weapons and Equipment
The Gauntlet is designed to be a powerful and swift machine, with a Defiance 275 light fusion engine at its heart, which is supported by a sturdy Coventry GTL-Flex endo steel frame. In addition to its 21 tons of pod space, the 'Mech has been given a boost of speed in combat: a built-in MASC.
Designers laid out the Gauntlet's Primary configuration with two powerful medium-to-long range weapons. The 'Mech's principal firepower comes from its right arm-mounted heavy PPC, while a left-arm mounted Thunderbolt 10 launcher with two tons of ammunition protected by CASE provides additional firepower. The 'Mech's speed is further increased thanks to a pod-mounted supercharger.
- Alternate Configuration A
- Armed with a powerful mix of missile and long-range light weaponry, the A configuration uses a pair of MML-7s mounted in its side torsos backed up a pair of lightly-hitting light PPCs, with one found in each of the arms. CASE II is installed in each of the 'Mech's arms, so as to shield the arm weaponry from possible ammunition explosions. BV (2.0) = 1,420
- Alternate Configuration B
- Designed for close combat, the B configuration is designed similarly to Coventry’s Black Hawk-KU or the older Clan Nova OmniMechs. The configuration is armed with 10 medium lasers split between the 'Mech's two arms with the addition of a single medium pulse laser in the right torso. These weapons are tied into an accurate targeting computer. Other equipment found in the B configuration is a Guardian ECM suite, five jump jets, and a coolant pod to help cope with the high levels of heat produced by the Gauntlet B's weapons and equipment. BV (2.0) = 2,076
- Alternate Configuration C
- Intended to cripple and capture enemy units, the C configuration's principal tool in its mission is a TSEMP cannon found in the left arm. Its offensive weaponry includes a single snub-nose PPC and a light autocannon/5 found in the other arm. Both arms' lower actuators have been removed to allow the 'Mech the flexibility of flipping its arms. CASE II has been added to the right torso to prevent any ammunition explosion effects from crippling the 'Mech's engine and arm weapons. One additional heat sink is added as well. BV (2.0) = 2,048
The Gauntlet was an Omni version, very similar to its progenitor, the Bushwacker.
The Gauntlet is subject to the following Design Quirk:
- ↑ MUL online date for the Gauntlet (OmniMech)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Technical Readout: 3145 Lyran Commonwealth, pp. 34-35, 91 "GTL-10 Gauntlet"
- ↑ Gauntlet OmniMech MUL Profile including BV2 & Introduction Year.
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 305
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 3, p13 "Bushwacker"
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3145 Lyran Commonwealth, pp. 35, 92
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 306
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3145 Lyran Commonwealth, pp. 35, 94
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3145 Lyran Commonwealth, pp. 35, 93
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3145 Unabridged, p. 307