|X:Y Coordinates||−183.072 : −12.971[e]|
|Recharge time||191 hours|
- 1 System Description
- 2 System History
- 3 Political Affiliation
- 4 Gienah II
- 4.1 Planetary History
- 4.2 Military Deployment
- 4.3 Geography
- 4.4 Planetary Locations
- 4.5 Industrial Centers
- 5 Phobos
- 6 Image gallery
- 7 Notes
- 8 Map Gallery
- 9 Nearby Systems
- 10 References
- 11 Bibliography
The Gienah system is located near the Arcadia and Launam systems and consists of a class K0IV primary orbited by at least two planets. During the thirty-first century a recharge station was in place at the system's zenith jump point.
The Gienah system was colonized at some point during or shortly after the First Exodus from Terra, and was a member of the Protectorate of Donegal prior to the foundation of the Lyran Commonwealth.
- 2159 - Independent
- 2220 - Independent
- 2271 - Inhabited world
- 2310 - Federation of Skye
- 2340 - Federation of Skye
- 2341 - Lyran Commonwealth
- 2571 - Lyran Commonwealth
- 2596 - Lyran Commonwealth
- 2750 - Lyran Commonwealth
- 2764 - Lyran Commonwealth
- 2765 - Lyran Commonwealth
- 2786 - Lyran Commonwealth
- 2822 - Lyran Commonwealth
- 2864 - Lyran Commonwealth
- 3019 - Lyran Commonwealth
- 3025 - Lyran Commonwealth
- 3030 - Lyran Commonwealth
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth
- 3050 - Federated Commonwealth
- 3052 - Federated Commonwealth
- 3057 - Lyran Alliance
- 3063 - Lyran Alliance
- 3067 - Lyran Alliance
- 3075 - Lyran Alliance
- 3079 - Lyran Alliance
- 3081 - Lyran Alliance
- 3085 - Lyran Alliance
- 3135 - Lyran Commonwealth
- 3145 - Wolf Empire
- 3151 - Wolf Empire
- 3152 - Wolf Empire
|Also known as||Gienah II|
|Jump Point distance||8.03 days|
|Moons||4 (Corvis, Dobry, Mazel, Nando)|
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Equatorial temperature||41°C (Mild-Temperate)|
|Highest native life||Birds|
|Landmasses||3 (Carrabesto, Alliago Minor, Alliago Major)|
|History and Culture|
|Government and Infrastructure|
|Noble Ruler||Duke of Gienah|
Gienah was first colonized in 2159 by illegal "squatters" from anti-Terran Alliance nations, but these first denizens were later subsumed by the better-equipped Alliance-supported settlers from Israel, Scotland, and India who began establishing themselves in 2220. Gienah later joined the Federation of Skye in 2310 and benefited from Skye-sponsored industrialization which made Gienah an export center and attractive location for more settlers.
First and Second Succession Wars
While forced to accept trade embargoes during the First Succession War, Gienah's government and corporations managed to establish trading links across the border with the Free Worlds League by the outbreak of the Second Succession War. Benefiting from this, both the League and Lyran Commonwealth governments accepted the world's status as a de facto neutral trade hub.
Gienah Automotive, a major manufacturer of civilian ground vehicles, was established on Gienah shortly before the Second Succession War. In addition to trading within the Commonwealth, Gienah Automotive also traded within the Free Worlds League.
Third Succession War
In 2864, Gienah Automotive was contacted by the CEO of a Free Worlds League shipping company, DuraPaq Solutions, with a view to merge the capabilities of both companies. The talks took until the late twenty-ninth century, they ultimately led to the joint manufacture of a new line of cargo-transporting vehicles: Land Trains. The fact that products from Gienah were sold to so many of the poorer worlds of the Free Worlds League led to the factories on Gienah being left untouched by both the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces and the Free Worlds League Military—a notable rarity amidst the savagery of the Succession Wars.
Fourth Succession War
In October 3028, the LCAF repositioned a number of front-line units as the FWLM launched Operation DAGGER. One of the units repositioned was the mercenary unit Gregg's Long Striders, who were relocated to Gienah; the LCAF strategic intent wasn't to prevent a League invasion, but rather to make invading forces pay more dearly for any gains and slow the progress of any breakthrough.
Immediately prior to the Jihad, Gienah Automotive had expanded to three major manufacturing brands on Gienah, although only a third of the total sales came from Gienah Combat Vehicles Division. By 3067, the corporation had three factories on Gienah, however only one-third of its sales came from the Gienah Combat Vehicles Division. Gienah was also home to a cold-weather combat training facility, located on Alliago minor.
During the Jihad, Gienah was one of a number of worlds within the Lyran Alliance that began producing Primitive BattleMechs as the LAAF struggled to keep itself supplied; Gienah BattleMechs Ltd. produced such designs as the Griffin and Icarus, but in common with other facilities producing what became known as RetroTech, the Gienah facilities had shut down by 3079. In the aftermath of the Jihad Gienah attempted to expand back into the military market through gaining capital via a stock sale, but fell short of the gains needed and as a result Gienah Combat Vehicles was pushed out of the defense industry. By 3067, the corporation had three factories on Gienah, however only one-third of its sales came from the Gienah Combat Vehicles Division.
The Dark Age
Gienah became the capital of the Wolf Empire in 3142 after Clan Wolf carved out its new realm from conquered League and Lyran worlds. The Wolves took care to avoid alienating Gienah's native population, leaving local society unchanged and allowing the planetary government to rule Gienah itself in exchange for fulfilling the Clan's military needs and respecting the Wolves' overlordship.
At the dawn of the IlClan Era, Gienah became the headquarters of Star Colonel Othar, which directed the Empire from there, but the Battle of Gienah (3152) saw his defending forces decimated and heavy damage to the capital, Alliago City, by Wolf's Dragoons, though they retreated right after their victory.
Gienah has three continents: Alliago Major is the largest and lies on the equator, Carrabesto is in the northern hemisphere, and Alliago Minor is the southern polar continent.
- Alliago City
- Molfette: the location of the Gienah Automotive manufacturing facilities on Carrabesto
- Ooessay: the planetary capital city, located on Alliago Major
Phobos is a habitable planetoid in the Gienah system.
By October 3067, Phobos had some long-term constructions, including a small base for the mercenary Bloody Stoats and a road and bridge system, parts of which had been around for some time. There were plans for expansion, including the enlargement of the Stoats base for use in a planned Lyran invasion of the Free Worlds League.
On 24 October 3067, the Bloody Stoats, on behalf of the Lyran Alliance, attempted to hijack the Avenger-class DropShip Requirement, attempting to capture League General Gurald Eichner alive. Due to the resistance of onboard Nellus Academy cadets, the hijacking failed, ending with the DropShip crash-landing on Phobos near the Stoats' base. Fighting continued in and around the base for two days, until a League force recovered the surviving cadets. In the end, the Stoats had, rather than capturing General Eichner as intended, killed Eichner and half of the cadets, lost most (if not all) of the hijackers, and allowed their commander's intelligence-filled noteputer to be taken by the League. The invasion plan was, as a result, exposed to the Free Worlds League. As well, the Stoats' base was severely damaged, effectively destroyed, in the battle.
- The Nellus Academy Incident identifies Phobos as being near Gienah. Author Jennifer Brozek clarified in a post on the official BattleTech forum that Phobos is within the Gienah system.
|Closest 40 systems (37 within 60 light-years)|
Distance in light years, closest systems first:
- Handbook: House Steiner, pp. 78–79: "Gienah Planet Profile"
- Objectives: Lyran Alliance, p. 13: "Gienah"
- Empire Alone, p. 106: Gienah planet profile
- Empire Alone, poster map
- Empire Alone, p. 78
- Era Report: 3145, p. 38
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 16
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 13
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 25
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 158
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 25
- Era Report: 2750, p. 36
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. xi: "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 10
- First Succession War, pp. 24–25
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 36
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, pp. 122–123
- First Succession War, pp. 112–113
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 40
- Wolf's Dragoons, p. 22: "A Daring Plan"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 47
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 56
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 59
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133
- Era Report: 3052, p. 10
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 61
- Era Report: 3052, p. 22
- Era Report: 3062, p. 10
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 70
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 42
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 64
- Field Report: LAAF, p. 19
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 64
- Field Manual: 3085, p. vii: "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3085]"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 9
- Shattered Fortress, p. 103
- Redemption Rites, ch. 1
- Redemption Rites, ch. 26
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 144: "Other Major Commonwealth Industries"
- Technical Readout: Vehicle Annex, p. 32: "Gienah-DuraPaq Elite Series 3"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 137: "Gienah Automotive"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 63: "Overview"
- Objectives: Lyran Alliance, p. 4
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 96: "Bolan Province"
- Technical Readout: 3145 The Clans, p. 22: "Aesir Vehicle Profile"
- Empire Alone
- First Succession War, p. 139: "First Succession War Deployment Table - LCAF"
- Objective Raids, p. 19: "FedCom Deployment Table"
- Shattered Sphere, p. 51: "Lyran Alliance Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 170: "Clan Force Deployments - Wolf Empire"
- Redemption Rites, ch. 4
- Lethal Lessons, ch. 8
- Objectives: Lyran Alliance, p. 13
- Technical Readout: Vehicle Annex Revised, p. 18
- Objectives: Lyran Alliance, p. 4
- The Nellus Academy Incident
- The Nellus Academy Incident, ch. 14
- The Nellus Academy Incident, ch. 18
- Empire Alone
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Report: LAAF
- First Succession War
- Handbook: House Marik
- Handbook: House Steiner
- Handbook: Major Periphery States
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1
- The Nellus Academy Incident
- Objective Raids
- Objectives: Lyran Alliance
- Shattered Fortress
- Shattered Sphere
- Technical Readout: 3145 Clans
- Technical Readout: Vehicle Annex
- Technical Readout: Vehicle Annex Revised
- Wolf's Dragoons