- Your BattleTech News Roundup For August 2020
- MechWarrior 5 DLC, Heroes Of The Inner Sphere, Previewed In Podcasts And Streams
- MechCommander Returns As a MechWarrior 5 Mod
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For July, 2020
- The Evolution Of Long-Range Missiles In BattleTech, or Why You Should Shut Up And Love The LRM-5
- Read more →
|Tech Base||Inner Sphere|
|Engine||DAV 220 Fusion|
|Communications System||Exeter LongScan w/ECM|
|Targeting Tracking System||Standard Smartrack|
A standard transport of the Republic of the Sphere military by thirty-second century, the Giggins APC was one of the first vehicles designed for the sole use of Republic forces. A transport, the Giggins was built to emphasize armor protection. Unlike many wheeled vehicles, the Giggins was designed so that its drive systems were little affected by wooded and other difficult terrain. The Giggins is similar in form and function to the lighter Saxon APC. The vehicle's name originated from Draconis Combine warrior Charles Giggins who had died fighting in the Jihad.
Unlike the lighter Saxon, the Giggins has an eight ton Infantry Bay, allowing it to carry two squads of Battle Armor onto a battlefield. In addition to the Heavy Ferro-Fibrous armor protection (enough to resist an Autocannon/20 hit), the Giggins carries a Guardian ECM Suite to interfere with enemy electronics and targeting systems.
Weapons and Equipment
As an infantry and battle armor transport, the Giggins is armed only with a pair of SuperFire Minigun Heavy Machine Guns. Though relatively ineffective against armored targets, these machine guns can quickly destroy enemy infantry formations.
- Fire Support
- Introduced in 3085, approximately every fourth Giggins is a fire support variant. By removing the Machine Guns, Guardian, and half the infantry bay, engineers created enough room to install a pair of ER Medium Lasers and a single MML-5 with a two ton ammunition bay. This weapon, combined with special missile ammunition types allows the Giggins to be even more effective. BV (2.0) = 718
- Technical Readout: 3085, pp. 22-23, "Giggins APC"
- MUL online date for the Giggins
- MUL online data for the Giggins APC (Fire Support) variant
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge, p. 23