|'Mech type||Inner Sphere BattleMech|
|Armor||StarGuard 3056 Ferro-Fibrous|
|Engine||Core Tek 275 XL|
|Communications System||Marshall 333|
|Targeting Tracking System||O/P Scanoptics 400BP|
|Heat Sinks||10 double|
The Grim Reaper was a 'Mech designed by ComStar to help replenish the heavy matériel losses suffered by the Com Guards during the Battle of Tukayyid, with the Word of Blake maintaining production after it captured Terra to help rebuild and expand the Word of Blake Militia. Thus, the Grim Reaper is seen in moderate numbers in both secular and fanatical militaries.
Weapons and Equipment
Designed to be a generic trooper 'Mech, the Grim Reaper carries a generalist weapons payload. To make the most of the Grim Reaper's chassis, a Core Tek 275 XL extralight engine is used to propel it up to speeds of 86.4 km/h while taking up only eight tons. The 'Mech is also armored with 10.5 tons of StarGuard 3056 ferro-fibrous armor.
The Grim Reaper is a 'Mech that is built to handle many combat roles and its weapons mix reflects this. The 'Mech carries a Blankenburg ER large laser for long range direct fire, and a Holly LRM-20 to provide indirect fire-support. The 'Mech also has a Blankenburg medium pulse laser, backed up with a Holly SRM-6 launcher, both used for close range support. Finally, the 'Mech carries a McArthur II anti-missile system for added protection against missile attacks.
- The first of two variants developed by Vicore Industries for the Word of Blake, the PR30 Grim Reaper modifies the 'Mech to have a little more direct fire capability. The 'Mech carries an ER PPC as its primary weapon, supported by an LRM-15 launcher with an Artemis IV FCS. The 'Mech has also had the medium pulse laser replaced with an ER medium laser, and the anti-missile system has been removed to allow a C3 slave unit to be added to the 'Mech. Triple-strength myomer was added to help with the 'Mech's heat issues. BV (1.0) = 1,250; BV (2.0) = 1,673
- A modification of the PR30 that focuses on long-range combat and overall speed, the PR31 variant of the Grim Reaper carries an ER PPC as its primary weapon. It drops the Streak SRM 6 to upgrade to an LRM-20 launcher with an Artemis IV fire control system and a rear-facing ER small laser, making the PR31 an extremely powerful bombardment 'Mech. Supporting these is an ER medium laser for close combat. The PR31 retains the Triple Strength Myomer, allowing it to reach speeds of 97.2 km/h while the 'Mech is operating in its optimum heat range. Finally, a C3 slave unit is mounted to allow it to share targeting data in a C3 lance. BV (1.0) = 1,347; BV (2.0) = 1,655
- GRM-R-PR62A Avitue
- The command ‘Mech piloted by Manei Domini Precentor Avitue during her actions on New Avalon during the Blakist Jihad, the stock weapons array is replaced with an MML-9 with two configurable ammo bins, a single ER medium laser, and a snub-nose PPC. While retaining the anti-missile system, the weight saved allows the addition of a targeting computer and seven improved jump jets. BV (2.0) = 1,542
- Grim Reaper Einar
- This custom 'Mech was developed by Com Guard Adept Einar Halldórsson and focuses on survivability. All the standard weaponry has been removed, and in their place are a salvaged Clan ER large laser, an ER medium laser and an Artemis IV-enhanced LRM-20. The original anti-missile system has also been replaced by a laser AMS. The Inner Sphere XL engine has been replaced by a Clan-built unit, and a light TAG unit has been installed as well. For increased protection, the Einar uses a reinforced structure and replaces the standard SRM-6 with four tons of modular armor on the front torsos and right arm. The LRM ammo is protected by a Clan-built CASE II system.
- Author Blaine Lee Pardoe stated in a blog entry that, according to his memory which he admitted could be wrong, the Grim Reaper was among the BattleMechs which he designed and for which he wrote the original background as initially published in TRO:3055.
- In German products, the unit's proper name was literally translated to Grimmer Schnitter, although Sensenmann would be the appropriate German expression. The model code was accordingly changed to GRM-S-TR29.
Original Grim Reaper from TRO:3055
Grim Reaper from TRO:3055 Upgrade
Experimental Grim Reaper "Einar" from XTRO:ComStar
GRM-R-PR29 Grim Reaper in combat from CCG
- Technical Readout: Jihad, pp. 110–111: "GRM-R-PR29 Grim Reaper"; entry reprinted from Technical Readout: 3055 Upgrade
- MUL online date for the Grim Reaper
- Combat Operations, p. 134
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 66
- Technical Readout: 3055 Upgrade, p. 44
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 67
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 68
- Jihad Turning Points: New Avalon, p. 12
- Experimental Technical Readout: ComStar, p. 5
- BattleMech Manual, p. 92: BattleMech Quirk Table - Grim Reaper Entry