|Class||Heavy Aerospace Fighter|
|Tech Base||Star League|
|Power Plant||Pitban C375 Fusion Engine|
|Communications System||Lassitor FibroLink|
|Tracking & Targeting System||BANDAR 9|
|BV (2.0)|| 1,046|
The Hammerhead was first deployed by the Terran Hegemony in 2407 during the Age of War as a ground-based defensive craft for protecting planets and patrolling jump points. Over the next three centuries the Hammerhead would receive periodic refits to remain in service to the Star League Defense Force. Chief among these was the replacement of its older armor for Ferro-Aluminum in the twenty-sixth century, which greatly increased the craft's survivability, though like other retrofits the armor is ungainly in some areas and weak in others. This superior protection, combined with excellent acceleration capabilities for such a heavy craft, allowed the Hammerhead to penetrate defenses quickly and safely in order to wreck havoc, especially against enemy DropShips. Five tons of fuel also gave the fighter acceptable flight speeds and endurance.
The only Hammerheads to survive the Succession Wars were those kept in the secret stockpiles maintained by ComStar. While the Federated Commonwealth tested prototypes based off plans from the recovered Helm Memory Core in the 3040s at the Hudson Gulf Aerospace Center, it would take the public unveiling of the Com Guards to see the design proliferate in the Clan Invasion era, especially among the Word of Blake and their allies, with new variants being fielded by both forces.
Weapons and Equipment
The Hammerhead's singular armament is both a source of fear and criticism for the craft. Its Imperator Zeta-20 Autocannon allows it to kill other light and medium fighters quickly, while presenting a significant threat to DropShip captains. However, due to space constrictions the fighter can only carry three tons of ammo for its gun, and it lacks any secondary armament. For this reason, Hammerheads rarely stay in a fight for long, and are often paired with energy weapon-equipped fighters.
In German products the unit's proper name was perfectly translated to Hammerhai. The model code was accordingly changed to HMR-HI.
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, pp. 242-243, "Hammerhead Fighter Profile"
- MUL online date for the Hammerhead
- Combat Operations, p. 107
- Combat Operations, p. 107
- AeroTech 2 Record Sheets, p. 130
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 352
- Technical Readout: 2750, pp. 76-77
- Lost Destiny, p. 201 "Chapter Twenty-Six"
- Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Volume 4, p. 13, "HMR-HA Hammerhead"
- Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Volume 4, p. 32
- Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Volume 4, p. 13
- Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Volume 4, p. 33
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - Age of War, p. 42
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 353
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 354
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 355