- Your BattleTech News Round-Up For August, 2023
- Community Outreach - Locust Labs And Creating The Hunchback For Tex Talks BattleTech
- An Ode To Light 'Mechs: Why BattleTech Needs More Light 'Mech Love
- Bad 'Mechs - Ostscout
- It's The Economy, Stupid! Understanding And Comparing MechWarrior 5 In Its Historical And Economic Context
- Read more →
|Died||9 August 3069|
|Affiliation||Free Worlds League|
|Position||Minister of Defense|
Heather Alexander was a career intelligence operative. She began as a field operative in her teens and worked her way up the ranks. She earned a reputation for being both intelligent and crafty. Heather's military career began with a posting to the staff of the Fusiliers of Oriente as an intelligence officer; advancing swiftly into Federal service, Heather worked initially as an operative and then later as an analyst. Heather worked her way up to the position of operations officer in charge of the liberation units, those irregular units maintained by the Free Worlds League; appointed to the post in 3051, she subsequently caught the eye of the Captain-General.
Appointed to the post of head of Military Intelligence in 3057, Heather hadn't been in post long enough by the time Operation GUERRERO began to do much more than continue the policies put in place by her predecessor. As head of Military Intelligence, she oversaw intelligence-gathering efforts in foreign nations and counterintelligence within the League. A member of the League Central Coordination and Command, Admiral Alexander wielded power beyond that of her position alone. Her first year in post was spent directing extensive reviews of the performance displayed by the various liberation units, with a view to identifying where they would benefit from updated training or equipment.
In 3061, Heather was promoted to the Minister of Defense. In this position she was Thomas Marik's military deputy, chairing LCCC meetings when he was unavailable and directing the entire Free Worlds League Military, subject to his approval. Heather's rise to the post of Minister of Defense was a reward for her loyalty; during her tenure as head of Military Intelligence she was approached by a number of Thomas' political opponents, who viewed her as an important cog within the Free Worlds League Military, but each found her to be immovably loyal to Thomas.
Heather's appointment to the post of Minister of Defense brought with it increased contact with the Word of Blake; while the specifics of her relationship with the Blakists is unknown, that relationship was reported to be cool, and records show that during her time as head of MI Heather had drafted a number of memoranda that defined possible threats posed to the FWLM by the Blakists. These memoranda were ignored.
In 3068, after several incidents in the FWL Admiralty, Alexander created a special investigation council to look into the recent failures in the chain of command and to recommend paths of correction. Those issues included the inexplicable loss of communication with the Eagle-class frigate FWLS Percival during her shakedown cruise and the subsequent allegations by Duke Robert Kelswa-Steiner that the ship and a full regiment sporting Sirian Lancers was used in the mysterious attack on Skye and the recall of most of the Eagle-class WarShips due to the failure of the Admiralty to properly defend key worlds along the Lyran border.
On 9 August 3069, amid the Jihad, Paul Marik engineered a coup and placed his daughter, Corinne, on the throne. In the process of deposing the false Thomas Marik, Paul and his Blakist allies and sympathizers executed Heather and General Cassandra Blake.
Marriage and children
Heather Alexander is known to have one daughter, Mira Alexander.
- Field Manual: Updates erroneously identifies Admiral Heather Alexander as the director of the Free Worlds League Navy on page 149.
- Shattered Sphere, p. 82, "Admiral Heather Alexander"
- BattleCorps: INN Newscast (Solaris Broadcasting Co. section), news item published [15/07/3068]: "FWL Admiralty 'Under Scrutiny'"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 85, "Heather Alexander"
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League, p. 13, "League Central Coordination and Command"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 98, "Minister of Defense"
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3070, p. 6 & Blake Ascending, p. 166