Heavy Sub-Capital Laser
- "Mech Merc Company" - A Love Letter To MechWarrior 2, Now On Steam Early Access
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For April 2020
- What ‘Mech Would You Survive The Coronavirus Outbreak In?
- MechCombat from Ralph H. Reed
- Catalyst, Coronavirus, And Clan Invasions - Interview With BattleTech Art Director Brent Evans
- Read more →
|Heavy Sub-Capital Laser|
|Type||Capital Direct Energy|
|Tech Base||Inner Sphere|
|Year Availability||3073 (WoB)|
|Damage|| 3 (Capital)|
|Ammo Per Ton||N/A|
|Ammo Cost (per ton)||N/A|
The Heavy Sub-Capital Laser, also known as the SCL/3 was the largest of the Sub-Capital Lasers produced by the Word of Blake. Capable of inflicting as much damage as a hit from a White Shark capital missile, the fact that the Heavy Sub-Capital Laser wasn't reliant upon ammunition was a key selling point. In addition, the SCL/3 could be safely mounted on the planets of the Blake Protectorate as a defense against attacking WarShips. Like their capital scale brethren, deploying the SCL/3 in this role didn't run the risk of the defender's weapon fire returning to the planet's surface the way ballistic weapons fire would.
The Heavy Sub-Capital Laser was also used to replace damaged Naval Laser systems aboard WarShips. Though they were more responsive to their control systems than their larger cousins, they still had difficulty targeting targets smaller than 500 tons.
- Tactical Operations, pp. 410-411, "Heavy Weapons And Equipment Combat Data/Construction Data"
- Tactical Operations, p. 343, "Sub-Capital Cannons
- Tactical Operations, p. 384, "Inner Sphere Capital Scale Weapons And Equipment BV Table"