Home Guard (Free Worlds League)
- Community Outreach - The Robert N. Charrette Collection
- New Heavy Metal Trailer For HBS’ BattleTech Reveals New ‘Mech: The Bull Shark
- You Can Now Play MechWarrior 2 And MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries On Your Browser... Sort Of
- Talking BattleTech Fiction with Philip A. Lee
- Community Outreach - Tex Talks BattleTech
- Read more →
|Unit Profile (as of 3081)|
|Parent Formation||Stewart Dragoons|
- 1 History
- 2 Officers
- 3 Tactics
- 4 Composition History
- 5 References
- 6 Bibliography
The roots of this command are from a remaining battalion which survived the assault during the formation of the early FWL. Since then the command fought many battles. In recent years the unit was tasked with the defense of the valuable Corean Enterprises factory on Stewart. The command see only mock battles but could save their experience through tough training cycles.
Star League Era
Like the other regiments of the Stewart Dragoons the Home Guard was notionally a provincial unit during the Star League era - all of the forces associated with provinces officially became provincial forces, distinct from federal forces, in what was at least partly an act of fiction to avoid disbanding a large number of regiments under the demands of the Star League Council Edict of 2650 - but the Home Guard's loyalty remained firmly with the federal government and the Captain-General. In addition to defending the Stewart Commonwealth the Home Guard and its sister regiments could also be called on to defend the Free Worlds League border with the Lyran Commonwealth, and although the Dragoons didn't participate in the Marik Civil War, they remained loyal to Elise Marik and would have mobilized at her command if needed.
During the closing years of the Star League the Home Guard were responsible for two main duties: providing a garrison force for the Corean Enterprises factories on Stewart and providing a bodyguard for Earl David Stewart, the Earl of Stewart and commander-in-chief of the Stewart Dragoons - although the Earl had chosen to delegate the responsibilities and duties of commander-in-chief of the dragoons to the brigade commanding officer, General Amelia Stewart-Marik, a second cousin to Captain-General Kenyon Marik.
In 2765 the Home Guard had its Third Battalion guarding the Earl, while its First and Second Battalions were garrisoning the Corean Enterprises facilities. The First and Second Battalions often found themselves in contention with the nearby Star League Defense Force garrison, the Eighty-sixth Jump Infantry Division, although it also put the Home Guard firmly in the good graces of Corean Enterprises and was the reason that the Home Guard were both the best-equipped regiment in the Dragoons and the regiment that fielded the most Corean Enterprises-manufactured equipment.
4th Succession War
As part of Operation SCOUR's Free Worlds League thrust into the Word of Blake Protectorate the Home Guard invaded Wasat as a part of Free Worlds League Group II. The improved defenses, consisting of capital scale weapons and the Word of Blake's Third Division, nearly shattered the unit.
The Home Guard and the rest of Group II would face another hard campaign when they were deployed to Elgin on the 3rd of January 3078, where the 1st Elgin Protectorate Militia Division put up a dogged and determined resistance that made the conquest of Elgin both difficult and moderately damaging for the coalition forces, although Group II ultimately prevailed over the Blakists. Later, the Home Guard would attack the planet Liberty alongside ComStar's Fifth Army and the other elements of Group II only to find itself stuck in a three-way conflict with Blakist mercenary forces and Capellan-loyalist guerillas. The coalition troops called for an independent negotiator to try and mediate between Group II and the Capellan forces, but as late as June were still bogged down on Liberty even as the remainder of the Free Worlds League task force gathered on Pollux ready for the strike against Terra. It wouldn't be until after the arrival of Lin Murikami, lead negotiator on behalf of Devlin Stone, that a ceasefire would be brokered between the various factions on Liberty.
During the liberation of Terra, the Home Guard invaded the city of Geneva under command of General Andrew Redburn. They fought alongside ComStar's Sixth Army, the Fox's Teeth, Stone's Liberators, and the 5th Lyran Guards. The assault turned into a nightmare chase as the Coalition forces pursued the defending Blakists across Europe.
After leaving Terra to the Coalition forces, the Home Guard returned to Stewart. Ignoring orders from the Coalition Commanders, they drove the defenders off-world and have begun rebuilding from the output of the Corean Enterprises plant on the world. Despite the expansion of the Republic of the Sphere after the Republic Formation Treaty the Home Guard continued to stay on Stewart until at least late 3081.
Operation GOLDEN DAWN and its Destruction
In April 25th 3081, Silver Hawk Coalition triggered conflict between the shattered Free Worlds League and newly formed Republic of the Sphere. By July, combat forces of Operation GOLDEN DAWN would land on Stewart. The Home Guard, with the planetary militia would forced engage in a campagin against numerous forces such as Twelfth Atrean Dragoons, Third Free Worlds Legionnaires, and thee regiments of the Northwind Highlanders. The Home Guard would hold out for two months until they and their planetary militia allies would finally be destroyed outside of the city Lancaster, when Republican artillary endup bombarding them out of existance.
|Commanding Officers of the Home Guard|
|Major General||Lao Jarreau-Stewart||3025|
|Colonel||Virginia Nash||3050 - 3059|
Home Guard (Regiment/Veteran/Reliable)
Home Guard (Veteran/Reliable)
- - At this point in time the Home Guard was a medium-weight regiment operating at full strength and was stationed on Stewart.
Home Guard (Veteran/Reliable)
- - At this point in time the Home Guard was a medium-weight regiment operating at just below twenty percent strength, and was stationed on Stewart.
Home Guards (Regiment/Elite/Fanatical) 
- Note: At this point in time the medium-weight unit was stationed on Stewart with an operational readiness of 57 percent. 
Home Guards (Regiment/Veteran/Fanatical) 
- Note: At this point in time the medium-weight unit was stationed on Stewart with an operational readiness of 22 percent. 
Home Guards (Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: Major General Lao Jarreau-Stewart
Home Guard (Regiment/Veteran/Reliable)
Home Guards (Regiment/Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: Colonel Virginia Nash 
- CO/1st Battalion: Colonel Virginia Nash
- XO: Force Commander Kelly Stewart
- 2nd Battalion: Force Commander Kien Vong Lee
- 3rd Battalion: Force Commander Isolde Gunther
- Wing Commander: Admiral Paul Hadji-Ristic
The 7th Stewart Defenders (1 Battalion/Regular/Reliable)
- Armor Commander: Force Commander Jason Pickering
Corean Protectors (1 Regiment/Green/Questionable)
- Troop Commander: Lieutenant Colonel Kenneth Shaw
- -After the horrors of the Jihad the Home Guard were an Elite regiment, but their strength was reduced to 55% of its pre-Jihad level. They were busy rebuilding with the output of a Corean Enterprises plant.
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League, p. 99, "Home Guard (FWL) Unit Profile"
- Field Report 2765: FWLM, p. 18, "Stewart Dragoons"
- Field Report 2765: FWLM, p. 4, "Circumventing Directive 30"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 44, "Wasat Falls"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 78, "New Year, New Wave"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 58, "The Jihad in Review"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 87, "Chaos Eternal: Death To Tyrants"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 80, "Terra's Doorstep"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 96, "Operation SCYTHE"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, pp. 108-109, ""Late 3078: Destination Terra
- Field Report: FWLM, p. 13
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 91, "The Marik Commonwealth"
- Field Manual: 3085, pp. 16-17, Operation Golden Dawn "Details of the unit's destruction against the Republic of the Sphere forces.
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 109, "FWLM Deployment Table"
- 20 Year Update, p. 57, "FWLM Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League, p. 132, "Home Guard"
- Field Report 2765: FWLM, p. 18, "Regimental Status"
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 138, "Free Worlds League Military (FWLM) - Deployment Table"
- ’’ Second Succession War’’, p. 98
- Historical: Brush Wars, p.86