|Manufacturer||Martinson Armaments (destroyed 2767)|
|'Mech type||Inner Sphere BattleMech|
|Chassis||Star League HO-01a|
|Communications System||MultiGab 2000|
|Targeting Tracking System||Dalban HiRez II|
|Heat Sinks||16 single|
Conceived by Martinson Armaments of Terra in 2578 as an infantry support 'Mech, the Hoplite first saw service with the newly formed Star League Defense Force during the Reunification War before being relegated to Terran Hegemony militia units in the twenty-seventh century.
While every Hoplite in the Inner Sphere was destroyed during the Amaris Crisis and the early Succession Wars, Aleksandr Kerensky's SLDF exiles found the simple and rugged design ideal for bolstering their forces in the months prior to the Exodus Civil War. Selected by Wolf's Dragoons in the belief that the ancient design wouldn't arouse undue attention, it had the complete opposite effect, and only raised more questions as to the Dragoons' origins when they arrived in 3005. After the mercenaries cut ties with the Clan Homeworlds in 3020, they also lost access to replacement Hoplites, with attrition bringing the design close to extinction by the Jihad. During the Jihad, when the surviving Dragoons relocated to Arc-Royal, experimental refits were performed on the remaining Hoplites, which continued after the conflict's end.
Weapons and Equipment
Intended for infantry support, the Hoplite is slow for a medium 'Mech, with a top speed of only 64.8 km/h. However its 11.5 tons of armor and heavy arsenal, both impressive for a 'Mech of its size, makes the Hoplite a rugged machine able to fight its way out of most situations using superior firepower.
Refitted by the Dragoons after the Inner Sphere's recovery of the Helm Memory Core, the HOP-4D Hoplite is armed with an impressive Mydron Excel LB-X AC/10, which allows it to fire either standard rounds or cluster rounds, which are similar to the blast from a shotgun, only on a 'Mech scale. As a secondary weapon, the Hoplite carries a Conan/5 LRM-5 launcher, which also allows it to keep the enemy at long ranges. Carrying two tons of autocannon ammunition, one more than the 4C, and one ton of missiles reloads forces the design to remain close to supply lines.
- The 4B variant of the Hoplite is an early variant of the 'Mech that attempts to both alleviate the ammunition dependence of its primary weapon and increase its long-range damage potential. This is done by mounting a Magna Hellstar PPC as the primary weapon that is backed up by a massive Mitchell Systems LRM-15 launcher with two tons of reloads, giving it excellent long-range and indirect fire support capabilities. BV (1.0) = 994, BV (2.0) = 1,162
- Essentially a "Royal" variant in everything but name, the "Double B" Hoplite was put into production at Strana Mechty MechWorks and Eden Weaponry Consolidated just before the death of Aleksandr Kerensky and found its way both into the forces of the Pentagon Powers and the infant toumans of the Clans. The "Double B" upgrades the LRM-15 to a Holly manufactured version, enhanced with an Artemis IV system, swaps the PPC for an Kinslaughter H-Class ER PPC, and increases the 'Mech's survivability with a Guardian ECM suite, CASE in both torsos, double heat sinks, and an anti-missile system. However, the design's speed and armor were not upgraded, enforcing the need to deploy the 4Bb as a fire-support unit. BV (1.0) = ???, BV (2.0) = 1,413.
- Effectively identical to the original Hoplite, the 4C carries a Luxor HV AC/10 as its primary weapon, which allows it to put a good amount of damage on a target, while generating a low amount of heat, and is backed up by a Conan/5 LRM-5 launcher. Arriving with Wolf's Dragoons, these were the first Hoplites seen in the Inner Sphere since their extinction during the Succession Wars. BV (1.0) = 836, BV (2.0) = 986
- Developed by Arc-Royal MechWorks and led by Clan scientist Janus in the midst of the Jihad, the extensively modified HOP-4X variant utilizes experimental Inner Sphere and Clan technologies. Built on a composite internal structure supplied by Coventry Metal Works, IS grade double heat sinks, CASE, and ferro-fibrous armor enhance protection and combat ability while an 275-rated light fusion engine boosts the Hoplite's speed by 10 km/h. While the body is Inner Sphere tech, the weaponry is all Clan: the original AC/10 and LRM-5 combination is replaced by a Clan RAC/5 and Streak LRM-15, supplied with three tons of autocannon ammunition and two tons of Streak missile reloads. A Clan light active probe completes the package. BV (2.0) = 1,946
- Hoplite C
- Developed after the Battle of Luthien, the Hoplite C is a variant exclusively used by Wolf's Dragoons that uses all Clan technology. Clad in 10 tons of ferro-fibrous and fitted with double heat sinks, the 'Mech carries a UAC/10 as its primary weapon, supported by an LRM-15 launcher for long-range engagements, and two medium pulse lasers and an ER medium laser for close range combat. BV (1.0) = 1,455, BV (2.0) = 1,736
- Designed as a desperate response to Jade Falcons continued encroachment from the defenders of Arc-Royal the HOP-5C makes use of local material. The resultant cheap 'Mech provides an excellent platform for inexperienced warriors. A mixed tech base allows the -5C to mount two arm based AES to complement its single MML-5 and Clan Ultra AC/10. The -5C runs a 220 Light fusion engine and 10 Clan Double Heat Sinks. It additionally carries its 1 ton of MML ammunition and 3 tons of UAC ammunition in CASE II bins located in the torso.BV(2.0) = 1,520
- In German products, the unit's proper name was translated to Hoplit. The model code was left unchanged.
HOP-4C Hoplite from Wolf's Dragoons
HOP-4D Hoplite from TRO:3050
HOP-4B Hoplite from BattlePack: Fourth Succession War
Hoplite from TRO:3050 Upgrade
Experimental HOP-4X Hoplite from XTRO:Mercs
HOP-4Bb Hoplite from Historical: Operation Klondike
Hoplite from RG:iClan vol. 30
HOP-4D Hoplite in motion from CCG
- Technical Readout: Succession Wars, pp. 100–101: "HOP-4D Hoplite"
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p. 65
- MUL Online Entry for the HOP-4D
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p. 64
- Objectives: Lyran Alliance, p. 23: "Kell Refit Facilities: Main Products", Hoplite refits
- Combat Operations, p. 106
- BattlePack: Fourth Succession War, p. 39
- Historical: Operation Klondike, pp. 166–167
- Record Sheets: Operation Klondike, p. 37
- Historical: Operation Klondike, p. 166
- Record Sheets: Operation Klondike, p. 38
- Experimental Technical Readout: Mercs, pp. 4, 17
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 96
- Record Sheets: Operation Klondike, p. 39
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 30, p.13
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 30 p. 33
- BattleMech Manual, p. 92: "BattleMech Quirk Table"
- BattleMech Manual Errata (Version 6.01), p. 9
- BattlePack: Fourth Succession War
- Combat Operations
- Experimental Technical Readout: Mercs
- Historical: Operation Klondike
- Master Unit List
- Objectives: Lyran Alliance
- Record Sheets: 3050
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade (Inner Sphere)
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade (Clan & Star League)
- Record Sheets: Operation Klondike
- Record Sheets: Upgrades
- Technical Readout: 3050
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade
- Wolf's Dragoons
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 30