|Class||Heavy aerospace fighter|
|Power Plant||Aerofusion 285 XL engine|
|Communications System||CCC T-55|
|Tracking & Targeting System||CCC D5.2J with Artemis IV|
|Heat Sinks||23 double heat sinks|
Developed as a long-range combatant, Hydaspes heavy aerospace fighter is one of the most deadly fighters in the Clan toumans, even if it has been relegated to second-line status with the development of OmniFighters.
Among the earliest fighters designed after Operation Klondike, Clan Cloud Cobra mated their newly developed advances in laser technologies with a thoroughly modern airframe to produce a design in advance of anything the SLDF had made. Derived from the famous Star League era Garret D2j targeting and tracking system, the newer CCC D5.2J is designed to target foes at extreme ranges, pouring on an increasingly devastating level of firepower as it closes with the target. While relatively slow, after two centuries of service the extremely potent Hydaspes is seen across almost all Clan toumans. Due to its heavy use of advanced technology, including 22.5 tons of Forging II ferro-aluminum armor, 23 double heat sinks and a 285 AeroFusion XL engine, some of the more resource poor Clans have difficulties fielding the design.
Weapons and Equipment
Focused primarily towards savaging its targets at range, the Hydaspes is built around a trio of Series XIV ER large lasers, one mounted in the nose and one beside an Artemis IV FCS-enhanced Type XV "Long Bow" LRM-15 in each wing. Short ranges aren't neglected, with three paired sets of Series PPS-XIX medium pulse lasers fitted to the nose and wings, with two aft-mounted CCWP-37 Mk. 2 Streak SRM-6 launchers discouraging any attacks from the rear. While four tons of LRM reloads and a single ton for the ammo-efficient Streak missile launcher give the launchers reasonable endurance, but the large volume of energy weapons overstress the fighter's heat dissipation abilities.
- Hydaspes 2
- The sole significant variant of note mounts two ATM-9 launchers and a heavy large laser in each wing, as well as two heavy medium lasers in the nose all mated to an advanced targeting computer. Even with two extra double heat sinks, this variant still suffers from the same overheating issues as the primary version. BV (1.0)= 2,778 BV(2.0)=3,385
- Hydaspes 3
- Produced by DS Aero Assembly Site Rho on Twycross. This variant of the Hydaspes trades all the weapons of the standard model for an ER PPC, twin improved heavy large lasers, a quartet of medium pulse lasers, and a pair of LRM-20s with integrated Artemis V FCS. A nose-mounted Laser Anti-Missile System protects against incoming fire while 17 tons of ferro-aluminum armor envelops the craft. To assist the 30 double heat sinks in handling the high heat output, two coolant pods have been mounted. BV (2.0) = 2,611
- Hydaspes Algar
- This version of the Hydaspes is used by Star Commander Algar of Clan Snow Raven. Based on the Hydaspes 2, this variant removes the heavy lasers and replaces them with ER medium lasers to cover the front and rear arcs. The ATM-9 launchers were removed and replaced with larger ATM-12 systems, providing 48 missiles in a single salvo. Six tons of fuel provides enough for combat, but not so much as to be wasteful. BV (1.0) = 3,374
- MUL online date for the Hydaspes
- Combat Operations, p. 109
- Technical Readout: 3067, pp. 170-171, "Hydaspes Fighter Profile"
- AeroTech 2 Record Sheets, p. 172
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 299
- AeroTech 2 Record Sheets, p. 173
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 300
- Technical Readout: Prototypes, p. 199
- Record Sheets: Prototypes, p. 94
- Record Sheets: Unique Fighters, p. 10