Kentares nearby systems (3151)
|X:Y Coordinates||149.4 : -13.229[e]|
|Recharge time||176 hours|
Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
| Jump point
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Equatorial temperature||35°C (Temperate)|
|Highest native life||Insects|
|Ruler||Countess Nuria Zetanic|
- 1 Political Affiliation
- 2 Planetary History
- 3 Military Deployment
- 4 Planetary Rulers
- 5 Geography
- 6 Planetary Locations
- 7 Nearby Systems
- 8 Notes
- 9 References
- 10 Bibliography
- 2317 - Inhabited world 
- 2319 - Independent world 
- 2431 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2571 - Federated Suns 
- 2596 - Federated Suns 
- 2750 - Federated Suns 
- 2764 - Federated Suns 
- 2765 - Federated Suns 
- 2791 - Draconis Combine 
- 2796 - Draconis Combine 
- 2801 - Federated Suns 
- 2822 - Federated Suns 
- 2864 - Federated Suns 
- 3025 - Federated Suns 
- 3030 - Federated Suns 
- 3040 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3050 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3052 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3057 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3058 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3063 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3067 - Federated Suns 
- 3075 - Federated Suns 
- 3079 - Federated Suns 
- 3081 - Federated Suns 
- 3085 - Federated Suns 
- 3130 - Federated Suns 
- 3135 - Federated Suns 
- 3145 - Federated Suns 
Kentares' pleasant climate drew many colonists during the exodus from Terra. The world gave the locals almost every resource they needed and it became a primarily agrarian world.
In 2431 the Hegemony Armed Forces launched an invasion of Kentares IV as a part of Director-General James McKenna's campaign to forcibly reintegrate colonies abandoned by the Demarcation Declaration back into the Terran Hegemony. The campaign ran for six months, as Kentares was defended by battle-hardened Federated Suns troops; it was a campaign in which the limitations of combat vehicles powered by Internal Combustion Engines were starkly highlighted to the HAF, prompting the development of fusion-powered combat vehicles.
The Federated Suns would contest the Hegemony control of Kentares, with the Fourth Avalon Hussars launching a campaign in the late 2440s to reclaim the planet. This conflict would involve the first deployment of DropShips intended to be military 'Mech transports, with the Hegemony forces deploying a number of Manatee DropShips. The appearance of the Manatees led to some initial successes for the HAF, but the Hussars learned to exploit the light armor and weapons array of the Manatee, destroying several of the DropShips along with their transported 'Mechs. Despite this, the Manatee deployment on Kentares proved the basic viability of the idea, even if heavier fighter screens would be needed.
First Succession War
Kentares was one of the worlds occupied by the Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery during the massive invasion of the Federated Suns that began in May 2787. Although the naval battle at Cholame fought in March and April 2790 had cost the AFFS a huge price, it bought the Federated Suns something badly needed - time. For fourteen months, the invasion forces from the Combine were unable to make significant gains, and the AFFS used that opportunity to provide whatever aid it could to those forces still fighting in systems such as Dobson, Galtor, Kentares and New Rhodes III.
Coordinator Minoru Kurita was on the planet when he was shot by an infantryman of the 7th Crucis Lancers in August of 2796. When word of what had happened reached the AFFS High Command, First Prince John Davion reacted swiftly; as skilled an opponent as Minoru Kurita had been, his son, Jinjiro Kurita, was known to be a volatile, violent character, and the news of Minoru's death was met with great concern. John ordered the remaining AFFS forces on Kentares to fall back, in the hopes of denying Jinjiro a focus for his inevitable wrath. JumpShips diverted from Sonnia managed to evacuate the last AFFS forces just as Jinjiro arrived - a decision everyone came to regret, as Jinjiro responded to Minoru's death by ordering the Kentares Massacre. Sergeant Pischel was one of those who managed to escape from Kentares ahead of the massacre, only to later commit suicide when he learned of the consequences of his fateful shot.
This terrible war crime, later known as the Kentares Massacre, continued for five months, during which more than 90 percent of the world's population was wiped out. It was a small compensation that, due to Jinjiro Kurita's assignment of so many regiments to the massacre and the following decline of morale in the DCMS, the Kuritan thrust into the Federated Suns collapsed.
The Counterattack by the Federated Suns was lead by units employing Vulcan BattleMechs to flush out Combine indantry from the cities of Amishton and Davisbury. The 'Mechs inflicted extensive damage to both cities Finally, Kentares was liberated by the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns in 2801 during the first major AFFS counter-offensive of the First Succession War against the Draconis Combine.
After AFFS forces liberated Kentares IV, and discovered that a company-sized group of survivors from the Seventh had not only managed to survive on the planet, but under the command of Captain Kieran McKinnon, had managed to launch a spate of attacks and harassing actions against the remaining DCMS troops after Jinjiro had withdrawn from Kentares in 2797. The survivors—dubbed McKinnon's Raiders—made the liberation of Kentares considerably easier, and First Prince Paul Davion used their ability to conduct long-term, long-range raiding campaigns effectively during the various AFFS counteroffensives against the DCMS for the remainder of the war.
The world itself never completely recovered despite the Federated Suns' best efforts. Various factors, including the remembrance of the massacre and the looming presence of the Draconis Combine border kept people and investors away.
Second Succession War
In 2854 the Combine attacked Kentares IV again as , as the AFFS had turned into a forward logistic base. The kuritans intended to steal all the possible supplies, but they couldn't. As more unit of both sides joined the battle, the kuritans failed to take the planet, and eventually were forced to abandon it, repulsed by troops of Prime Marshal Peter Davion. But the AFFS ignored than the battle was only prelude for Coordinator Miyogi Kurita's Marathon Offensive, leading to the fall of planet Robinson.
FedCom Civil War
Some of the first clashes of the FedCom Civil War took place on Kentares IV whose duke Eric Dresari publicly denounced Archon Katherine Steiner-Davion as a despot and usurper inciting demonstrations among the people of Kentares against her rule. Therefore she ordered the 5th Donegal Guards to take control of the planet. The situation escalated and culminated in the execution of Duke Dresari and his family. The surviving family members led a guerrilla war to regain control of the world.
Kentares was also a target of the DCMS reprisal attacks for the Draconis March invasion of Kurita space. On January 23 of 3065 the 3rd Benjamin Regulars landed on the planet but the local Militia held off the Regulars until the arrival of the Tenth Lyran Guards, who were due to pass through the system, defeated the invaders.
In 3085, after the Jihad, one of Anastasius Focht last acts, with aid from Victor Steiner-Davion, was to convince the Federated Suns to relocate his namesake academy, the Focht War College, to Kentares IV and maintain it as a multinational institution. 
- Clovis Draconis March Militia 
- Kentares Draconis March Militia 
- Kentares Draconis March Militia 
Kentares IV is a temperate and fertile world with plenty of common ores and other natural resources and almost ninety percent of the surface covered by water. But since the devastation of the First Succession War much of the planet's land mass has been covered by ruined cities and factories, which were never rebuilt.
| Closest 48 systems (48 within 60 light-years)|
Distance in light years, closest systems first:
Kentares IV is the setting of the video game Mechwarrior IV.
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 99, "Kentares IV"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 18, "Federated Suns Map at their founding -  Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 18, "Draconis Combine Founding" -  Map
- Technical Readout: 3075, p. 174, "Merkava Mk. VIII Heavy Tank"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 48, "Federated Suns after Age of War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 31, "Draconis Combine after Age of War -  Map"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere - " Map
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: SLDF, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Report 2765: Federated Suns, p. 29, "Federated Suns Armed Forces Deployment Map - "
- First Succession War, p. 43, "On The Brink"
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 55, "Kentares IV" Date last planet was captured
- First Succession War, p. 98, "The Davion Counter-Offensives"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 54, "Federated Suns after First Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 43, "Draconis Combine after First Succession War -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 122, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 60, "Federated Suns after Second Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 53, "Draconis Combine after Second Succession War -  Map"
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), "Federated Suns -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 70, "Federated Suns after Third Succession War -  Map"
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), "Draconis Combine Map - "
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 64, "Draconis Combine after Third Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 71, "Federated Suns after Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 66, "Draconis Combine after Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 76, "Federated Suns after War of 3039 Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 68, "Draconis Combine after War of 3039 -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 23, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 71, "Draconis Combine after Operation REVIVAL -  Map"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, Inner Sphere -  Map
- ">Handbook: House Davion, p. 78, "Federated Suns after Operation Guerrero -  Map"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, Inner Sphere -  Map
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 82, "Federated Suns after FedCom Civil War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 74, "Draconis Combine after FedCom Civil War -  Map"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 42, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 65, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Report: AFFS, p. 21, "Federated Suns Armed Forces Deployment Map - [August 3079]"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. Vii, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Technical Readout: 3075, p. 190, "Manatee"
- First Succession War, p. 86-87, "Bloody Kentares"
- Technical Readout 3025 p. 42
- First Succession War, p. 91, "The First AFFS Counteroffensive: Beating Back The Dragon"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 58
- Most of this paragraph is taken from the video game MechWarrior IV: Vengeance and therefore may not be canon.
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 173 "Republic of the Sphere - State of Readiness - Academies - Focht War College
- Objective Raids, p. 13
- Field Manual: Federated Suns, p. 136
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 140
- Field Report: AFFS, p. 18
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 71, "Deployment Table - 3085"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 93, "Armed Forces of the Federated Suns - Deployment Table - 3145"
- Technical Readout: 3025, p. 42
- Swords of Light and Darkness
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- FedCom Civil War
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Manual: Federated Suns
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report: AFFS
- Field Report 2765: Federated Suns
- First Succession War
- Handbook: House Davion
- Handbook: House Kurita
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Davion (The Federated Suns)
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- MechWarrior IV: Vengeance (Video Game)
- Objective Raids
- Swords of Light and Darkness (Short Story)
- Technical Readout: 3075