Laser Anti-Missile System
- "Mech Merc Company" - A Love Letter To MechWarrior 2, Now On Steam Early Access
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For April 2020
- What ‘Mech Would You Survive The Coronavirus Outbreak In?
- MechCombat from Ralph H. Reed
- Catalyst, Coronavirus, And Clan Invasions - Interview With BattleTech Art Director Brent Evans
- Read more →
|Laser Anti-Missile System (LAMS)|
|Type||Equipment (Point-Blank Weapon)|
|Tech Base||Inner Sphere/|
|Year Availability||Clan = 3079 CWF|
|Technology Rating||E (IS) F (Clan)|
|Heat|| Clan = 5
IS = 7
|Damage||Special Weapon Rules (Consult Tactical Operations p. 322)|
|Tons|| Clan = 1
IS = 1.5
|Critical Slots|| Clan = 1
IS = 2
|Cost (unloaded)|| Clan = 225,000
IS = 225,000
|BV (2.0)|| Clan = 45
IS = 45
The Laser Anti-Missile System (LAMS) is an advanced variation of the standard Anti-Missile Systems fielded by both Inner Sphere and Clan militaries. While the standard system utilizes a machine gun linked to specialized tracking systems, the LAMS uses a Small Pulse Laser, ensuring that the system never runs out of ammunition. While solving the frequent lament of the ammunition dependent standard system, the disadvantage is that even with the strength of each laser pulse reduced to the minimum required to destroy missiles, the heat build-up is much more significant.
First researched by Clan Wolf in 3045, their version of the Laser Anti-Missile System entered the prototype production phase in 3048 and finally starting standard production in 3079 with the Clan LAMS becoming widely and commonly available to all the surviving Clans by 3145.
The Inner Sphere version did not lag far behind, stemming from the R&D efforts of then-Federated Commonwealth in 3054, the Federated Suns started prototype design and production in 3059, the Inner Sphere Laser Anti-Missile System finally entering standard production in 3079 and becoming commonly available among all the Inner Sphere powers by 3145 at same time as the Clan version. Some evidence exists that Firmir Weaponry of Betelgeuse were also developing similar systems around same time as FedCom researchers.
The LAMS can be mounted both on BattleMechs and vehicles. As its heat build-up is high, the unit with an LAMS must carry enough heat sinks to counter the higher output it produces and ICE engines requires Power Amplifiers equal to the task.
The Laser AMS is manufactured on the following planets:
|Beamsplitter||Twycross||DS Aero Assembly Site Rho||Hydaspes 3|||
|Diverse Optics Sunray||Kajikazawa||Kurita Combine Munitions Corporation||SU-14 Suzaku|||
|Clean-Sweep||Capolla||Eris Enterprises Design Group||JLP-BD Jackalope|| |
|Clean-Sweep||Mizar||Victory Conditions Industries||JLP-BD Jackalope|| |
|Light Shield-1||Orestes||Janesek Industries||Tyre 3|||
|McArthur Laser-X AMS||Solaris||Doctor Géné Lyndon||SP1-X Spatha - SP2-X Spatha "Warlord"|| |
|Type M1||Csesztreg||Csesztreg Industriplex Alpha||Incubus II|||
|Unknown||Campbelton||Fusigon Heavy Weaponry||Unknown|||
|Victory Star Screen||Kervil||Wakazashi Enterprises||Unknown|||
The Laser Anti-Missile System functions as per the standard anti-missile system rules apply, except of course the laser system requires no ammunition. Furthermore, an LAMS attack that reduces a missile flight's Cluster Hits roll to less than 2 completely destroys the incoming flight.
The Tactical Handbook version of the LAMS was very heat intensive, heat being determined by 3D6 roll, but otherwise functioned indentically as the other versions. At that stage both IS and Clan versions had the same weight and critical slots, the Tactical Handbook version also had the benefit that the two critical slots (the tracking system and laser) could be mounted separately and in entirely different locations, making it easier to mount and harder to destroy.
The Maximum Tech maintained the variable heat of the Tactical Handbook version but reduced it to match the 2D6 result of the number of missiles destroyed. This meant that vehicles mounting the LAMS had to support the possibility of 12 points of heat. Maximum Tech also included rules for the offensive use of both standard and laser anti-missile systems, the LAMS acting as if it was standard Small Laser with a maximum range of 1 if used in this manner.
- Tactical Operations, p. 322, "Laser Anti-Missile System"
- Interstellar Operations, p. 35 "Universal Technology Advancement Table"
- Tactical Handbook, pp. 68-69 "Defensive Armaments - Laser Anti-Missile System"
- Technical Readout: Prototypes, p. 198, "Hydaspes 3"
- Technical Readout: Prototypes, p. 178, "SU-14 Suzaku"
- Technical Readout: 3145 Republic of the Sphere, p.28 "JLP-BD Jackalope"
- Technical Readout: 3145, p. 92 "JLP-BD Jackalope"
- Technical Readout: Prototypes, p. 194 "Tyre 3"
- Technical Readout: 3055 Upgrade, p. 158, "SP1-X Spatha"
- Experimental Technical Readout: Gladiators, p. 5 - "Custom Profile"
- Technical Readout: Prototypes, p. 142 "Incubus II"
- Technical Readout: Prototypes, p. 166, "SB-31D Sabre"
- Maximum Tech, pp. 79-80 "Equipment - Anti-Missile Systems - Laser Anti-Missile System - Use as a Weapon"
- Tactical Operations p. 100