Lightning (Combat Vehicle)
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For August 2020
- MechWarrior 5 DLC, Heroes Of The Inner Sphere, Previewed In Podcasts And Streams
- MechCommander Returns As a MechWarrior 5 Mod
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For July, 2020
- The Evolution Of Long-Range Missiles In BattleTech, or Why You Should Shut Up And Love The LRM-5
- Read more →
- This article is about the hovertank. For other uses, see Lightning (disambiguation).
|Manufacturer||Curtiss Industries, Kressly Warworks|
|Armor||3/Star Slab Ferro-Fibrous|
|Communications System||Century Model 770|
|Targeting Tracking System||TGI 2331C/TGI F-190]]|
The Lightning was designed for the Star League by Curtiss Industries as a hovercraft combat vehicle designed to take down slow BattleMechs and vehicles. Some commanders would combine several Lightnings into a temporary compact unit to crush the hostile line, using their maneuverability to break up formations. A interesting feature of the Lightning is a low wing mounted on the rear of the vehicle that increases the vehicle's stability at high speed.
Weapons and Equipment
The Lightning is armed for short-range combat. Two Raker-IV Medium Pulse Lasers are in the front, allowing the crew to target enemies as they close with them. One Maxima One Shot SRM 4 pack on each side is designed to allow the vehicle to fire off the missiles as it passes an enemy, then repeat the maneuver on the return trip.
- This variant was created by Blakist Precentor Robert Havasy to counter Capellan Confederation Shadow Lances. In order to take advantage of the vulnerability of 'Mechs equipped with Stealth Armor at close range, the RL carries seven Rocket Launcher 15s. The modern update of the one-shot launchers, the Lightning's mission profile is perfectly suited to the use of Rocket Launcher technology. It also carries two Anti-Missile Systems in the front to protect from missiles. BV (2.0) = 709
- The upgraded model used by the SLDF Royal units, both one-shot SRM-4s were replaced with a pair of Streak SRM-2s. The more advanced launchers inflicted, on average, the same amount of damage while withholding fire for shots that would have missed, and maximizing the single ton of reloads carried, as well as saving enough weight to also add a TAG unit.  BV (2.0) = 633
In German products the unit's proper name was perfectly altered to Flash.
Original Lightning from TRO:2750
Upgraded Lightning from TRO:3050 Upgrade
A Lightning in motion from CCG
- MUL online date for the Lightning (Combat Vehicle)
- Combat Operations, p. 106
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, pp. 160-161, "Lightning Vehicle Profile"
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 180
- Technical Readout: 2750, pp. 96-97, "Lightning Vehicle Profile"
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised, pp. 200-201, "Lightning Vehicle Profile"
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 181
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 182
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 183
- Technical Readout: 3075, p. 169
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged, p. 142
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - Age of War, p. 9
- Experimental Technical Readout: ComStar, p. 9
- Combat Operations
- Experimental Technical Readout: ComStar
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League)
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - Age of War
- Technical Readout: 2750
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: 3075